“Had better mexican food from a packet!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pancho Villa's - CLOSED

Pancho Villa's
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: City Centre
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Had better mexican food from a packet!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Me and 3 friends booked this place as friend had been years ago and remembered how good it had been. Our table was booked for 8pm on Saturday 6th of July. When we arrived we were greeted and shown to our tabke. The waitress took our drink order. We weren't sure if she heard us as the music was so loud and we couldn't hear a word she was saying to us. Place was pretty busy and servers looked rushed off there feet.

Drinks arrived and we placed our order. Just as we were ready to order we were told of a few dishes that were not available. Surely this should've been explained before we had decided what we were going to have.

Starters arrived. I opted for chilli nachos. Presentation is definately not a strong point. Dish had clearly been flung together. The chilli was cool and the cold sour cream that was slopped on top didn't help. My friends who also ordered nacho's felt the same.

Mains arrived I ordered chicken fajita's. Worst I have ever tasted. Normally dish comes out sizzling. Not here. Dish was put in front of me and it looked like it had been lying in the kitchen for a while. Chicken was dry, the onion and peppers in the dish looked like they had been boiled not sizzled. The dish had no flavour and although there was plenty of it It was not good. My friends also complained of the lack of flavour and one comment was that the side order of rice was similar to a packet of Uncle Bens. The fajita's were not worth the £12 being charged. When our plates were cleared the server asked how our meal was. I advised I did not enjoy it. She smiled and walked away. I'm not sure she heard me over the music.

We paid the bill and left. Overall I did not enjoy my experience here and will not be back.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank MrsS0409

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Average Mexican food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Felt the food was a bit bland and something was missing from it! No great flavours came through! Service was good enough. Staff were attentive and friendly too.

1 Thank rachael1880
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great service, bad food. Don't go if you love Mexican food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were very quickly seen to as the place was quiet apart from the two of us and three other small groups/families.

Despite this, the other parties and ourselves were all asked to sit at the front window (presumably to make the restaurant look busier to passers-by) and we were placed next to overhanging plants on the window sill which were irritating as they kept falling over shoulder-height where we were sitting and hitting our face frequently when talking and eating.

The menu and drinks were reasonably priced and straight forward. However, it was extremely limited with nothing really exciting.

After ordering, our meals came within 5 minutes (which we were both impressed and suspicious about).

I ordered the mixed-style fajitas (chicken and steak). The food was hot and became very tough, unenjoyable and cold within 5 mins of it being served. The chicken tasted like it was reheated and it was tasteless, tough, dry and very overdone. The shreds of steak were okay but again became cold very quickly. The salsa served with it was bland and had nothing special or any kind of kick to it.

My girlfriend got the quesadilla which was served with what looked and tasted like a packet of Uncle Ben's Express microwave rice. I tried a bit of it and it tasted like it was just packed with guacamole and not much else.

Overall, it was very bland and cold. I wouldn't be surprised if the two meals were just quickly microwaved and both came out of a packet, not even to the standard of Old El Paso.

I wish I'd took on board the reviews from lots of other people on here and Urbanspoon when they said it was poor and not to go if Mexican food is your thing as you'd just be disappointed.

1 Thank Ray C
United Kingdom
“Excellent food matched with excellent service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Organised a birthday meal here for 8 of us (25th and 30th celebrations). The staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a great experience. We were able to drop off balloons and a cake earlier in the day & the staff made sure the table was decorated & we were all given a sombrero for the occasion! Drinks were topped up constantly without the need to ask, food came quick and was cooked to perfection...even the steak! (A first for a mexican restaurant!) Would return again and again. The staff & kitchen made this night perfect. We all had a blast.

Visited June 2013
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Great food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I had lunch with my husband on Saturday afternoon. We only had a main course each. I had the Rustic Lamb which was very tasty, my husband had the Quesadillas & he said that is was really nice.
The staff were nice & friendly but the restaurant was quiet which gave it no atmosphere.
overall we enjoyed it..