“Great food.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pancho Villa's - CLOSED

Pancho Villa's
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: City Centre
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Great food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I had lunch with my husband on Saturday afternoon. We only had a main course each. I had the Rustic Lamb which was very tasty, my husband had the Quesadillas & he said that is was really nice.
The staff were nice & friendly but the restaurant was quiet which gave it no atmosphere.
overall we enjoyed it..

Melbourne, Australia
“Nothing Special- Tasteless and Bland”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I last visited Pancho Villas some 5 or 6 years ago and in line with previous reviews, I have to agree that the quality has went remarkably down hill in that time.

In truth, my starter of chicken wings glazed in honey, garlic and a hint of chilli had no real taste whatsoever. Sure, there were 4 or 5 large sized wings in there, but like all courses at Pancho Villas, the size of the portion does not hide the fact that the component parts are all rather bland and non-descript. I suspect the wings were marinaded some time ago and heated rather than cooked to order. My partner's starter of mixed nachos was also a rather "ho-hum" affair; consisting of processed beans and shop-standard salsa, guacamole and cheese, it was hardly befitting of the price paid for it. I remembered Pancho Villas being of a high standard and (in particular) using fresh ingredients; the fact that my partner's sour cream had split suggested that like all the other ingredients used for her starter, it had been stored for some time in the kitchen and was in no way fresh or home made.

Whilst her main course (Barbacoa lamb) was slightly better, I was very disappointed with my Enchiladas con Carne. I opted for the shredded beef option, and that is literally what I got. Shredded beef- no seasoning, no spice, no hint of Mexican cuisine or careful cooking. The lack of seasoning or real flavour meant that the dish merely became a stodgy, rather unenjoyable one rather quickly. Again, the portion size was huge; but when "huge" means a third of a plate full of processed, tasteless beans, served with another third full of tasteless, processed rice, it does not necessarily mean value for money. The enchiladas came smothered in the same sauce as my partner's nachos had came with; despite one being billed as a salsa and the other being a tomato and coriander sauce. To try and add some flavour to my dish, I asked the waitress (who was very pleasant and helpful) for a side portion of jalapenos. Remarkably, this cost a further £2.80, which seems very expensive for what is a complimentary garnish in most Mexican restaurants in the UK.

Looking to the table next to us (one of only 4 tables in the restaurant at 6pm on a Thursday), I couldn't help but notice the fajitas which they had ordered. The meat looked uniform in size and shape and rather pale in colour; the exact opposite of what I remembered the same dish being the last time I visited where the chicken was chargrilled and served with bright, fresh peppers and accompaniments.

The one thing Pancho Villas does have in its favour is the complete lack of competition; Glasgow is bereft of good, dine-in Mexican establishments, and it seems Pancho Villas have began to rest on their laurels as a result of this.

I would not recommend this restaurant in all honesty, as it seems a shadow of its former self. Rather than having exciting plates of food with fresh ingredients, it seems as though Pancho Villas has opted for the "bulk" approach; great when it means a large plate of food, but not so great when the food consists of bulk bought bland ingredients, cooked in large quantities with no great care and then stored for lengthy period of times...served with a large dollop of refried beans of course...

1 Thank Chris M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Went to this restaurant with a group of 8 on a Saturday night. Atmosphere is fine and waiting staff very pleasant. But that's me out of positives. The combination starter was most definitely straight out of the freezer and heated in a microwave. How is it possible to screw up nachos with melted cheese???? Main course was ok but I believe I could do better with a home fajita kit. Mexican food is hardly the most demanding to cook but should at the very least be spicy and full of flavour, yet somehow they managed to make it taste bland and flavourless. Overpriced and underwhelming. Much nicer places to eat in the Merchant City.

Visited June 2013
Helensburgh
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible food!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

First time visit and I will not be returning! For starters my friend and I had chicken wings in garlic, chilli and honey and didn't taste of ANYTHING! The waitress was very apologetic which I guess she is used to doing and thankfully came back and said we were not being charged for that (not that I was willing to pay for something I didn't eat). The mains came and mine wasn't too bad, my friends however was covered in grease and my other friend couldn't eat theirs when the waitress came back and asked if everything was alright my friend told her it was terrible but they were unwilling to give us that meal for free even though she barly touched it. Will not be returning

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JendyGeff
Scotland
“Relaxed lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

The lunch menu is very good with lots of choice. The portion sizes are good for a lunch; e.g if you order enchiladas you get one enchilada with rice and refried beans which is manageable and I was able to fit in a dessert!

The food itself was tasty but I would say it was of average standard and nothing to shout about.

The restaurant was very quiet but it was hot and sunny outside so don't think many people were eating inside restaurants that day! The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff were very good. We had a lovely lingering lunch with a few drinks and frozen cocktails.