“Different than expected in a better way”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Amarone Glasgow

Amarone Glasgow
Ranked #89 of 2,393 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Anderston
Description: Nestled in one of Glasgow's main shopping areas on the corner of Buchanan Street and Nelson Mandela Place, and just a two minute walk from Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall, Amarone Glasgow is perfect for a catch up breakfast, a mid-shopping-spree lunch, or an early, pre-symphony dinner. Also those looking for a romantic evening need look further: our venue offers an intimate and atmospheric setting to enjoy fine, Italian dining with that special someone.We all know that eating is a serious matter in Italy and we use the very best ingredients sourced both from specialist Italian suppliers and from our local area. To add to your dining experience, our team of highly specialised and committed staff are on hand to serve you. Our many award wins are testament to our winning formula of great food, perfect venues and dedicated customer service. Glasgow Amarone can boast Glasgow's Best Overall Restaurant of the Year.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Different than expected in a better way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Amarone is situated at the busy Buchanan Street, just opposite the church. Many Glaswegian, myself include, had walked past it many a times before but somehow just never went in. My work arranged a dinner there, allowing me the chance to finally check it out. Note that the Chaophraya are on top, with a bigger sign, but their entrances are pretty close.

Decor: (4/5)
I'd expected this place to be the dim dark damp dungeon-like old place. It was however completely opposite. I went downstairs, and instead of the anticipated stuffiness for a sunny day, it was a cooling well-lit environment that greeted me. The place was a lot bigger than I'd thought, and the decor seems pretty modern. The bar, and leading into the kitchen, was the first thing you can see with its racks of shiny glasses. I don't think the kitchen door closes, and therefore the place is a bit loud. It may just be because of our rowdy bunch, but if you're looking for your traditional soft-spoken place, this is not the type.

Food: (4/5)
Again with Italians, there is always the risk that you are only filled up by the cheesiness of it all and the portions aren't actually enough. However, the most notable point of this place is that I was halfway through my main course and was already full. Very good portions I think.
We had a set menu, but the range on the menu is only average from what I'd seen. I'm a picky eater, and the selection held a bit of a fusion theme, but is generally just Italian. I had a dried meat starter, and a chicken main course, which were both pretty good. A crescendo led to the coda dessert in a delicious tiramisu. There was only one other choice though, which was cheese cake, but was a lot bigger than what you'd expect from the average restaurant.
Overall, it gets brownie points for filling portions and a strong tiramuisu.

Service (3.5/5)
We were a corporate party and therefore had wine pured on our table etc. They came round to take more drinks orders, and asked if everything was fine etc. etc. Overall, what you would expect for service, which is good, but nothing overly stands out on this occasion.

Price (2/5)
As it was a company paid for do, that is why my pricing score may be off. One of the reasons why I hadn't tried this place out already though was because I'd thought it was a tad too pricey to risk a visit. But with that sort of location and that sort of restaurant tier, the price is what it is.

Overall (4/5)
Restaurant reviews are always a bit offset when it with a function/company like I was. However, as the title says, the restaurant was very different from my expectations. It isn't the dark, piano-playing, cellar-type I'd been expecting, which is a good surprise. I probably won't elect going there for a romantic first date, but a suggestion if it comes to a group of friends on a night in town.

• Visited May 2013

“Amazing all round!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

First visit booked through 5pm.co.uk. Cannot fault the experience, was first class from when we arrived till we left. Amazing value for miney. Antipasti starter, beef and red onion pasta and duck breast were all delicious and done perfectly. Service attentive yet unobtrusive. Great selection of wines by the glass, especially the Barbera! Lovely frangelico to round of a perfect meal. Already planning our next visit!

• Visited June 2013
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Absolutely fantastic,stunning place for alfresco dining,people watching,superb menu,superb wine,superb staff and superb company,will be back soon

Visited June 2013
Scotland
“Better than It Appears”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Amarone offers itself up as a Pizzeria. A masterclass in underselling if ever there was one. Amarone isnt restaurant of the year in Glasgow for nothing (and believe me there is heavy opposition for that title). Yes the menu has pizza and pasta much as you would expect from an Italian Restaurant but it also hides the fact that is has some of the best staff you will find anywhere who will happily help you with the wine list and serve up fish to die for. Gets a tad busy at weekends but never so busy you feel left out, ignored and unattended. If you visit my fine city stop by. I wholly guarantee you will not leave unimpressed.

• Visited June 2013
Stirling
“Good value - excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Went here with 3 colleagues for pre pantomime dinner using 5pm .com. Excellent value for money. Food was lovely and staff really nice

• Visited December 2012