“Enjoyable”
Review of Khublai Khans

Khublai Khans
Ranked #220 of 2,450 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Had visited here several years ago with a large group. Decided to visit again as I was nearby.

Layout hasn't changed - large restaurant, with buffet system explained well by server (starters ordered, visit the buffet table to combine your own ingredients, which are then cooked for you on the giant barbeque, deserts ordered). Small choice of starters and desserts (though was saddened to see they don't do the "Yak spare ribs" starters anymore) - the toffee sponge dessert was excellent though

Plenty of suggestions for people to make their own mains, but it is fun to experiment (and also great for people wishing to avoid certain ingredients) - if you don't like your first attempt, then it's easy to visit again and try something else.

There's a pre-theatre menu, which is good value for the hungry (it can be fairly expensive later on). Prices for the soft drinks are a little on the steep side, but no better or worse than other neighbouring restaurants.

• Visited October 2013
Khublai K, Manager at Khublai Khans, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your recent dining experience. We really appreciate it. I'm delighted that you had an enjoyable evening. I'm sorry the "yak ribs" weren't on the menu when you visited however we do change the starters & desserts throughout the year so hopefully they will be on next time.
Thanks once again. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

• Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, lazy gimmick”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I seriously can't understand how this place has so many good reviews. If you like good food, you won't like this restaurant. We had a special voucher to go here, we had never heard of the restaurant before. The idea is that you go up to a buffet bar and choose your own raw vegetables, raw meat and sauce/spices. Thus, you effectively make your own meal. The chef simply puts it on the barbecue. The meat section looks really unhygienic and unappetizing. The food was bad. The ingredients are all cheap, not good quality.There are a selection of 'exotic' meats, like kangaroo and alpaca, but there doesn't seem to be any real reason for this other than as a gimmick to lure curious diners. I also ordered a Baileys cheesecake for dessert. There was not even the vaguest hint of Baileys, and there didn't appear to be any cream cheese in the recipe either. It was just a sort of sweet cream on some crushed up digestive. When we came to pay our bill, we were being charged full price which, in my view, is daylight robbery considering the quality of the food. I told the waitress we had a voucher and she said that it was not valid because we had not stuck to the conditions of the offer by only visiting the buffet cart once. We absolutely had NOT gone up for seconds - we really didn't want to - and when I told the waitress this she very patronisingly told me that the restaurant keeps a record of how many times you have returned to the buffet bar. She accused me of lying! After a ridiculous, drawn out discussion, they realised that they had not 'wiped the slate clean' so to speak after the previous occupants of our table had left. The manager came over to give us our corrected bill (the waitress who had made such a point of attempting to shame us was nowhere to be seen) and apologised for the 'confusion'. Too little, too late Kublai Khans. The whole experience was poor. I actually have another voucher for the restaurant, which I will be thowing in the bin.

• Visited September 2013
Khublai K, Duty Manager at Khublai Khans, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to give the restaurant a review, we appreciate any comments from our guests.

I’m very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your evening with us, and that the resolution to the bill issue was unsatisfactory. It was I who altered the bill for you on that night and remember the situation.
Because of the confusion with your Free Facebook Voucher, and the way that the staff dealt with the number of main courses issue before coming to me, I have given them remedial training in the records and the complaints protocol. The staff have also been told that a member of management should be called in the event of any complaint and should not try to deal with it themselves.

On the night, there was no complaints raised to either myself or the staff regarding the food, so I’m concerned that there are issues now coming to light – if they had been raised on the evening, I’m sure we could have resolved the situation to your satisfaction.

Again, my sincere apologies, if you’d like to discuss any of the issues in person or over the phone, I’d be more than happy to discuss them with you.

Once again, we appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention.

Kind regards,
Matthew Reed
Duty Manager
Irvine, United Kingdom
“Watch for hidden costs and food doesnt always arrive together”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I visited here on the 8th of November for my husbands birthday and booked through the website there was a space on the website to say if it was a special occasion so we entered birthday. When the waitress came to our table she asked if we had been before we hadnt so she explained the process she was foreign and talked so fast we couldn't understand her but we worked it out for ourselves. When it came to the main course we went up and selected our food and left it to be cooked they were placed together but one dish was not recieved back until 15 minutes after the other one my husband was finished and I was still waiting to I had to ask twice about it. For dessert my husband recieved a dessert with a sparkler and th e birthday experience which was nice but then the bill came. On it there was a service charge included which we were not told about but also there was a £5 charge on our bill that we could not explain when we asked what this was we were told it was for the birthday sparkler . This qasnt explained at the time of booking and ivwould mot have payed £5 for rhis. The meal was nice but it was definitely not the wow experience I expected very dissapointed.

• Visited November 2013
Hi There,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of the restaurant. We do appreciate it. Firstly I'm sorry you felt that the explanation was a little rushed. There is quite a bit to take in with regards the diy bbq so a full & clear explanation is expected. The chefs are also available to offer advice when needed however, I have emphasised the need to speak more clearly when explaining the process to all members of staff.
Secondly, I understand that the duty manager spoke & apologised to you about the delay with the main course.
Thirdly, with regards your husbands birthday. We do normally charge for the firework, personalised plate for tables of less than 8. However I appreciate if you are not told about this then you should not have been charged.
Lastly the service charge is mentioned on the menu & website and is completely discretionary. However, after the mix up with your main meal this should not have been added to your bill. I understand from my duty manager who was on that evening that you paid this as well as the £5 charge. I would really appreciate if you could get in touch with me at the restaurant so as I can reimburse you for both of these as I have a note of the amount along with your booking details.
I hope you would accept our sincere apologies.
Yours Sincerely,
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Awful, never again. ”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Worst experience ever. Would NEVER return.

Having never been here before i didn't know it was like a buffet style restaurant. I do not like buffets at the best if times but this one just didn't look good. The meat looked so unappetising but I thought I'd try it seeing as i was already there.

I used the recipes suggested to measure all the herbs and spices and then passed it to be cooked, i did this 3 times in total and every dish was not eaten. the meat was like leather, it was disgusting. I went home hungry. Never again!

I will say however that there was a party of 6 of us and the others thought it was ok. 2 of us didn't enjoy the experience.

Khublai K, Manager at Khublai Khans, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Hi There,
Thanks for taking the time to inform us of your dining experience. We value ALL feedback. I'm very disappointed that you say you didn't enjoy the experience although four other diners say that they did? Obviously if you felt that the food you had was inedible I'm a little disappointed that you did not bring this to my, or a member of my staffs attention on the night. Perhaps if you had, a resolution could have been found. After all you have left having paid the full bill but not mentioned anything. This doesn't strike me as someone being very unhappy???
I would be more than happy to discuss this issue with you at your convenience should you wish to call me at the restaurant.
Once again thank you for your feedback.
Manager.
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
“Perfect in every way”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Every time my wife and I go to Glasgow for a weekend or mini break, we have to go to this excellent place. We've been going for 5 years now, it really can't be faulted. The food, the atmosphere and the people all make this the perfect place to go for a great meal coupled with a spot of excitement. If you haven't been, you're missing out.

• Visited October 2013
Khublai K, Manager at Khublai Khans, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Hi Graham,
Many thanks for taking the time to review the restaurant. I'm delighted to hear that you have returned over the years & continued to enjoy the experience.
Thanks once again & we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Manager