“Excellent restaurant”
Review of Khublai Khans

Khublai Khans
Ranked #238 of 2,507 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I went to this amazing Mongolian restaurant on my leaving night and I had an awesome night. the restaurant is very nice and sophisticated. the structure of the place is very nice and the statues really contribute with the Mongolian culture. the food was very nice and there was a lot of variety. I will strongly recommend the restaurant and when you`re there, it`s an asset to try the horse and the zebra, their flavour waters in your mouth and is so enjoyable. a very nice experience that I will never forget, the staff was very friends and with a smile on their face, they were very welcoming and confident in their job. the initiative of certain staff was very nice as they suggested what food we should get and told us what sauce should we put with certain food.

Khublai K, Owner at Khublai Khans, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Hi Gordon
Thanks very much for your kind comments, I have passed them on to the members of staff. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your meal and look forward to welcoming you back to KKs next time you're in Glasgow.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I had been to another similar place some years ago, so distance may add enchantment to the view, but this Glasgow experience was well short of that.
The decor is tired
The room was pretty cold - at 7pm
We did have a voucher, and I am glad we did because full price is not really worth it.
Starters - horse burger - tough, tiny and not very good - and I love to eat horse in Europe. Partner's wild boar pastry tasted fine, but the pastry was tough.
You get only 1 trip to the buffet on vouchers - you can upgrade - glad we did not. Both of us love cooking Asian style, and can recognise good raw meat when we see it - most of this looked tired and unappetisingly displayed.
We did not mix our meats, but given it was cut into different sizes, when the small bits were ready, the larger ones were not - of course the choice of carbs and vegetables and spices is up to you. The cooked food took a long time to arrive - and was unevenly cooked for the reasons above.
Like many others have said, desserts are good.
But leave the place full and satisfied - bit of marketing licence I think!
Maybe good in a group where the company and craic dominate, but if food is the main focus, I would think again

Hi
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to the restaurant, we value all constructive feedback.
I'm sorry you didn't particularly enjoy the experience. To answer some of your points - we have been having trouble perfecting our Horse Burgers, the meat has been too lean which results in a tough and rather flavourless burger. We have been working hard and we think we've now cracked it!
All of our meats are fresh and displayed in a temperature controlled cold cabinet. they are hand cut which can result in a disparity in size. I have spoken to the chefs on this point.
Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Starter of wild boar parcels was swimming in a pool of vinegar - weird.
When you choose your ingredients make sure you pile your bowl high - when mine wascooked it was reduced to about a tablespoonful in the bottom of the bowl!
Was tasty but I was ready for a poke of chips straight after.

Hi
Thanks for your feedback. The sauce with the Wild Boar starter is meant to be "Hot and Sour" and does indeed contain vinegar. I have tasted it and it was a little sharp so the Chef is making a subtle adjustment - thanks!
I have no idea why your meal shrunk so dramatically, the ingredients do "cook down" but your experience seems very extreme. Next time you might want to try the full Mongolian Feast which allows you to visit the BBQ as many times as you like.
Thanks again.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Four of us went to Khublai Khans last night (Thursday 18 April) using the Groupon offer.

As a vegetarian, I was very apprehensive about how good my experience would be but I had nothing to worry about. There are two vegetarian starters (I had the stilton and bell pepper cheesecake which was lovely) and approx 4-5 other meat starters.

For main, after a base of rice or noodles, there was a wide selection of veg, including peppers, mushrooms, onions, beansprouts, chopped leeks, tomatoes, sweetcorn, pineapple, and others. There was a variety of meat for the carnivores, including horse, baby octopus, springbok, ostrich, kangaroo, as well as the more common chicken and beef, followed by a plethora of herbs, spices, and sauces. You can either follow the recipes on the wall or use your inventive streak and make your own.

You take your bowl to the counter where the chef will make it all in front of you on a huge hotplate. The hotplate was rinsed down regularly so there should no chance of tastes crossing over. As a veggie, I asked the chef if I could have my dish prepared away from the meat to the side of the hotplate but he insisted that he would send it to the kitchen to be made seperately to make sure there was absolutely no chance of cross contamination from the meat. I'm not an overly strict vegetarian and would have been happy if he had wiped the hotplate down and cooked it there, so he really went above and beyond. He also made a point of remembering me when I came back for seconds and swifly whisked my dish into the kitchen again.

The servers were polite and attentive. The bill wasn't cheap but probably comparable with other Merchant City restaurants.

Overall, a great night out. Whether you're an adventurous eater, a bit more 'plain', or a vegetarian, you'll have a great night. The chef in particular was great. I didn't catch his name but hopefully the boss reads this and passes my thanks on. We'll be back! :)

Hi Andrew
Thanks very much for taking the time to review the restaurant. We are delighted you enjoyed the experience. The Grill Chef's name is Colin, he's been with us for over six years and is an invaluable member of the team. I have passed on your kind comments and he has asked for a pay rise!! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I came here on a recommendation from a few colleagues at work, as I am only in Glasgow for a short while.

The atmosphere is nice and welcoming as are the staff.

The food selection was excellent, especially all the different meats! For my first visit to the bbq, I chose to follow the recipe of the month with horse, which was excellent! I followed that up with springbock and a spice concoction of my own, loosely based on the first attempt which turned out very well. The dessert was 1st class, I had the mars bar cheesecake which worked very well!

All in all, a great dining experience and I will be trying the restaurant in Edinburgh too!

Hi
Thanks very much for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your evening at KKs and we hope to see you next time you're in Glasgow.