“Late lunch on a bank holiday”

Mother India's Cafe
Ranked #80 of 2,568 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had an excellent lunch in the Mother India Cafe in Glasgow, the food was excellent, I liked the idea of small portions and trying different dishes, only slight grumbles about the coming rather haphazardly to the table. My portions were last and everyone else had finished. The major grumble was that we had to wait 30 minutes to get a table, they blamed this on the size of our group (six) but we watched lots of people being seated and were disappointed that they didn't make more of an effort to seat us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Had the most amazing meal here. The prawns were the best I've had outside of Asia. Everything was lovely and fresh and wonderfully spiced. The menu is done tapas style which means you can order several small dishes and so try a good variety. We ordered three mains, one starter and a couple of sides and it was more than enough for the two of us. It was very good value also coming in at under £40 and that was with a couple of beers. The staff were great, friendly and helpful. Were happy to help with the menu and were knowledgable about the food. You can't book a table so have to wait if there is a queue but it is more than worth it. They also do takeout. Atmosphere was buzzy with a good mix of clients and packed with regulars which is always an excellent sign. It is just opposite Kelvingrove museum. No visit to Glasgow will be complete without a visit here for us now. Still dreaming about those prawns!!! We will be back!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Very nice Indian meal at Mother India.Staff were great, but the food were extremely nice. Can highly recommend this place.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Never ever had a bad meal here the food is always fabulous, the service is excellent and it is very good value. But be warned you need to get there early to get a seat because of the massive queues at six o'clock

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am an Indian who has lived in the UK for 6 years and have had homemade Indian meals all my life. This is the first restaurant I've been to where the food was much better than anything my family could make; it was miles ahead of any Indian restaurant I've eaten at in the UK. The service was really good and the atmosphere was just like a simple cafe back in India. I particularly liked the portraits of the people who work there that adorned the walls. I would recommend sharing two plates with a plate of naan between two people. You can then order additional plates if required. The portions are quite generous for tapas style and make the dishes good value for money. Highly recommend the butter chicken.