“Mediocre but nice enough” 2 of 5 bubbles

Church on the Hill
Ranked #1,040 of 2,387 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Glasgow
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre but nice enough”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Nice inside if a bit noisy, food was mediocre but good service and not very expensive. Good if passing but I wouldn't plan to go back for dinner. Prob better for drinks.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank abrown1982

“Trendy pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Visited Church On The Hill a dozen times, usually for a drink. Good for a lively atmosphere/sports pub. Very noisy in the evenings; music played way too loud.
Food is OK for pub grub - definitely NOT to be considered as a restaurant; priced to suit.
Staff have always been pleasant.
Toilets disappointing/disgusting (need improved, more frequently cleaned).
Good range of drinks and very nice house wine.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“dead beetle on food and a year later terrible food! NEVER again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

So had a rather horrific experience a year ago when my friend got a dead beetle on her side order of chillis with her main couse at Church On the hill..took manager 15 minutes to come to speak to us about it and she said it was due to chillis from a tin, kinda no excuse really and the dead beetle was lying on its back on top so looks like it died on the food. So a year later and I thought I would brave it and give it another go..after cold starter, we got Macaroni Cheese which was overcooked pasta with no sauce, upon returning it one of the managers came over to apologise and said they were trying to get food out too quickly as it was new years day. We then ordered mexican bean burger..which was cold and not cooked at all, was a lump of cold dough. The manager/guy that came to apologise was very apologetic and we saw him go and have strong words with the "chef". However Iafter 2 failed attempts I wont be back, very very poor.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sam C
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Didn't live up to expectations.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had been before so on an evening walk we decided to pop in for dinner. I felt a little uncomfortable because I wasn't really dressed for dinner in a restaurant on a Friday night, but it was a relaxed (and loud, very loud) atmosphere so it turned out okay.

We ordered from the set menu which was very reasonably priced. Usually when "Soup of The Day" is on a menu, the waitstaff offer up the type of soup being served on said day, but the girl didn't, and even when I ordered it, she didn't tell me what it actually was. Yes, I could have asked, but it's the sort of thing that bothers me. I also ordered the burger and wish I had known that it was ciabatta bread before choosing. The burger itself was tasty, and the chips too, but the ciabatta was obviously meant to be toasted, but instead was burnt in spots. It was difficult to eat, but not really bad enough to complain. The sticky toffee pudding at the end was delightful.

More than half of the restaurant tables seemed to be reserved so quite a few people were turned away. Go early if you want a table without a reservation.

• Visited December 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Poor hospitality and hygiene”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Had to help a couple slipping on the icy forecourt as we approached and then found that about a third of the sets were reserved in the bar area. Had to settle for two uncomfortable wooden stools against a pillar. Chose two good Chilean wines at £4.50 per 250ml glass. Said hello to one of the barstaff who completely blanked me. I asked another if the bar had wifi and got “Naw!”.

The place looked tired and in need of a spring clean – sticky table, grubby glass on the door, dull décor, etc.
When I went to the toilet, the door in the first cubicle didn’t close so I tried cubicle 2. I can’t describe the scene there – like something out of Trainspotting. I didn’t hang about but saw no sign of any cleaning schedule.

As we left I felt physically sick. We had to cope again with the slippy slopes which were still unsalted. Needless to say, I wouldn’t consider eating there if that’s what is on public view. This looks like a place whick could be great if it was properly managed and the emphasis was on basic hospitality and hygiene.

Visited November 2012