“Great Saturday night curry”
Review of The Dhabba

The Dhabba
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dhabba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #188 of 2,520 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: An authentic North Indian cusine experience in the heart of Glasgow. From Punjab to the Merchant City, we've brought the best of North Indian cooking to Glasgow City Centre. We're talking about authentic recipes using fresh natural ingredients from award-winning chefs. Food worth talking about, and a warm dining experience to savour. Proudly featured within the Michelin Guide and highly recommended by food critics, you'd be sure not to miss out on making booking with us.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We went 22/2/14. We had the haddock in batter for starters amazing. The gave us three sauces with poppadooms free, which were amazing particularly the yellow sauce. The mains were the spicy and hot hot chicken both were lovely and fresh. Drinks were two pints if kingfisher which I did think were a bit flat but were perfectly drinkable all for£43 do can't complain

1  Thank paulm962

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were going to a gig in the City Halls so tried this restaurant as it's nearby and we enjoyed it so much we were back a couple of weeks later when going the the Kings theatre. We ate early (had booked) and enjoyed a tremendous meal. We were spoilt for choice really so opted for a sharing platter starter - SHURUVAATI THAL . Our mains were JALPARI TIKKA and TANDOORI MACHI. We were unsure which sauce to have so the waiter advised us to have the one with lentils which was, for us, a perfect choice. On the second visit one of the mains was MASALA MACHLI-monkfish. Now we've tried this in other places before and didn't like it however it must be in the way they prepare and cook it for we both liked it. I have to say that the service was superb - very efficient and unobtrusive. We noted that by the time we were leaving, a queue had formed for those waiting for a table.....now that's a good pointer for anyone. We also enjoyed speaking with two very nice ladies at the next table - they go to this restaurant for all their "occasions" such as birthdays etc Pre theatre discount on the bill plus a selection of malt whiskies too! We would definitely recommend. You won't be disappointed. It's in a good location. We found it easy to park in the street nearby- using a ticket for the time up to 6pm - but it is also not far from Queen Street stations for those who don't take turn about driving as we do.

1  Thank esfalkirk
Reviewed February 22, 2014

It is an absolute shame for an Indian restaurant based in Glasgow city centre delivering a complete atrocious service with food no better to compensate its failure. My friends and I went to this restaurant before; infact one of our friends was a known regular face in the restaurant. We in total of four went together on February 17th at 6:26pm for the dinner. We were greeted on entering to a nearest table. However to our surprise, a four seated table unfortunately had cutlery only for three.

Having a brief glimpse at the menu, we ordered food one for each. We kept waiting at the table with no interaction with any waiter. To our surprise it was 6:45pm around 15 min after ordering with no sign of the food. There in, one of my friends casually enquired about food status from one of the passing by waiter. To which he returned saying it is getting ready. We waited for another 10 min with still no food. So as another waiter came near, one of us asked if the food was ready, to which waiter in an absolute obnoxious and rude manner replied, “ When the food will be ready, it will come, it is not ready yet” and went away.

Showing a disgraceful attitude was not acceptable to us therefore we wished to speak to him again and find out his name. He very reluctantly and again impolitely replied with just his first name “Amit”. When asked for his full name, he kept saying the same and finally said his full name as “Amit Kumar” and again walked off. Our food had arrived by now but was a complete horror to a good Indian food. Moreover they had even missed to get us one of the dishes already ordered.

As we were still having the food near the end, the owner came to out table, as he was scared of us approaching Trip advisor to report a review. To which we explained the entire situation but he seemed to have turned a deaf ear towards us showing an impudent behaviour. The owner did go back to find out from his staff and returned saying to our complete surprise that we had been harassing his staff. Also if we wanted food in 10-15 mins we should rather go to any take away or any fast food joint.

Completely patronising the situation, he even gained the audacity to say; “ Guys make this meal as your last meal at my restaurant”. Such a dishonour and sordid behaviour and belittling his customers in a customer-interaction based business by the owner himself clearly shows the true level of the restaurant and the person himself. I shall never recommend anyone with self-respect and taste for good food to go to this place ever.

5  Thank Harshdeep S
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our family have been regular visitors at Dhabba for many years, so it was the obvious place for a family celebration. We were not disappointed . The food was amazing as usual, the staff made sure even the fussiest members of the party got something they would like. Joseph and the rest of the team made the whole evening a great success! We cant thank Them enough !

1  Thank Sam21Scotland
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Dhabba is located in the Merchant City area of Glasgow and has been about for a fair few year's now; and its notable that a lot of the reviews posted on the walls of the restaurant and the awards won all seem to be a few years' old. A few of our friends commented that they had been to Dhabba, "but that was years ago", and it may be the case that since then, standards have slipped and prices have shot up (well above inflation, I'd be safe to bet).

Our experience was a rather disappointing one. Very average Indian food, which despite the different names and technical explanations, were effectively the same curries which you could expect to find in any other average Indian high street restaurant. And thats were the "average" ratings ended; service was poor, and prices were verging on robbery for the standard and quantity on offer.

We started with the Reshmi Seekh (chicken kebab) and Chat Putta Murg (chicken tikka). Both were enjoyable dishes, though the chicken for the putta murg was rather tough. The accompanying dips and sauces (when they eventually arrived) were also very tasty, though we were half way through our starters by the time the waiter brought them to the table.

Main courses were a let down however, and a complete waste of money in my opinion.

My Murg Khasiat, which promised a spicy dish with tomato and garlic, was nothing of the sort. A rather bland, watery curry sauce accompanied a paltry 3 bits of chicken. I have never felt so short changed when ordering a curry in a restaurant; 3 bite size pieces of chicken floating in an entire copper pot. Considering the sauce was so non-descript, I was verging on angry at the fact I was being charged nearly £4 per mouth size piece of chicken. Very average food, which was totally overpriced for what was served. Even on a Saturday night, The Dhabba should not be serving such plates of food when it continues to charge such prices.

My partner's Murg Maskawala (effectively butter chicken) did not fair too much better; again, another small plate of food served with a very runny, watery gravy which lacked spice and seasoning. Despite ordering sides of rice and naan bread (which, in the end, where the star dishes; the naan being particularly fresh and well cooked), we were still hungry by the end of our meal and in need of something further.

Which brings me on to the next problem; service. The place was just too busy (busy Saturday night, 8pm) for the staff to cope, and we received no attention throughout our meal. We tried to flag down a waiter for extra drinks shortly after our mains had arrived; by the time we had finished our meal some 25minutes later, the drinks still had not arrived and we cancelled them. When our plates were taken away, we were not offered a dessert menu (despite, as mentioned above, still being rather hungry). Instead we sat around idly for a further 15minutes until we finally got a hold of someone to ask for the bill. Incidentally, the waiter did not seem overly bothered by my response when he asked me if I enjoyed my meal, so I doubt my comments regarding the food being rather bland and the portions being very small ever reached the kitchen.

I will not be hurrying back here; it is very expensive and hiding behind a false pretense. There are far better Indian restaurants in Glasgow which charge nowhere near what The Dhabba does. Your stomach will leave as empty as your wallet.