“Good meal and service, but slightly dissapointing”

The Pipers' Tryst Restaurant
Ranked #221 of 2,507 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: The Pipers' Tryst Restaurant is attached to The National Piping Centre in Cowcaddens and is something of a hidden gem in the city centre. Available for breakfast, lunch, pre-theatre, a la carte dining and private hire the intimate 40 seater restaurant provides an authentic experience of modern Scotland. The dining room is a relaxed space boasting a well stocked whisky shelf and locally brewed beers. The menu is full of Scottish produce, from Stornoway black pudding to Mull of Kintyre cheddar. Locals and tourists alike frequent The Pipers' Tryst taking full advantage of Scotland's famous hospitality. Above the restaurant are 8 cosy bedrooms, available for single and double occupancy throughout the week. The National Piping Centre is also a highly sought after venue catering for weddings, civil partnerships, conferences, special events, exhibitions and concerts.So why not take a wander up Hope Street to explore everything they have to offer
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I called in for an early evening dinner and given the good reviews I had high hopes.

I had the Cullen Skink soup which was quite nice and served with some fresh bread. I followed this with another Scottish classic: haggis, neeps and tatties with a whisky cream sauce.

Overall it was “quite nice” but all just a little disappointing, the service and wine were OK, it is the food that somehow didn’t deliver on flavour as I’d hoped. Perhaps I caught it on a bad day, but I’ve had better versions of both these dishes in a pub, not what I expected from the other reviews.

1  Thank Glen C

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I attended a surprise birthday bash at this cosy friendly venue. The manager and staff had decorated the place for us. Food was lovely. The staff were cheeryfriendly and very attentive, but not in your face. I would certainly reccomend the pipers tryst.

2  Thank pussycat29
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were disappointed, given the good reviews on here. Maybe we caught the place on a bad night but we wouldn't go back. You can get many better pre theatres in Glasgow for around the same price.
Food no more than average, smallish portions but, worst of all for a pre theatre meal - service was unacceptably slow - over 30 minutes before we even got a starter. We weren't the only table to be looking at our watch and reminding the waitress that we had a theatre show to get to. It didn't make for a relaxing experience - wouldn't go back. We could have gone somewhere like Urban for the same price, or even Gamba for only £3 more, and that would have included a glass of wine - this place didn't even come close to either of them.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This restaurant and hotel are part of an old church complex and used as the major Glasgow Piping College. It is situated a few yards from the Theatre Royal with evening parking in the street.

Its food is mainly Scottish plain fare. Excellent steak pie, stovies, haggis etc. All beautifully cooked and with great friendly service. Might be cheaper in a pub but probably not as tasty. Perfect place for any tourist visting Glasgow or Scotland for the first time.

While you can just turn up it is safer to book since the restaurant may be closed for a private function.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

It is small and cosy, staff very friendly and in interesting building. The food is good quality traditional Scottish Fayre. I have been before for breakfast and it was good value for the quality of produce