Tripadvisor
Glasgow
Post
Inbox
Search

“Beautiful hotel, disappointing service”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #251 of 2,938 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, French, Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Elegant yet informal, the Hotel du Vin restaurant serves premium French bistro-style cuisine made with the freshest ingredients. Subtle starters and bold mains sit alongside an outstanding wine list, as well as a choice of spirits and local beers. Leather and dark stained wood fill the interior, with an inviting bar area providing the perfect evening meeting point.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I visited for afternoon tea with my mother on tuesday after much anticipation and while the room was beautiful and the food was lovely, the service was very slow and inattentive. We arrived to find noone at the host stand and waited a good five minutes before searching for a member of staff to seat us, however she was pleasant and took our coats politely, we were seated and asked for our dietary requirements etc and asked what tea we would like but were not shown a menu of any sort until being told they had run out of Jasmine and white tea, rather disappointing for the price we paid, the food arrived and was explained well by the waiter, the scones were lovely. Nobody broke our napkins and no-one checked on us at any time and I had to go to the bar to ask for a pot of coffee and water, which we should have received on arrival. Our first batch of tea didn't arrive till we had finished our sandwiches, and we were eating very slowly because we were chatting. When the coffee arrived the waitress seemed indignant that we asked her to take away our empty teapots and cups when she had started to walk away. After we finished we stayed to drink our tea and chat but after about an hour of sitting with empty champagne glasses and a tea stand I had to ask the waitress to clear the table which makes me cringe. Finally we had to go up to the bar to pay. I reslly dislike leaving negative reviews and the staff seem nice but require a lot of training. I have spent much less and felt a lot more looked after and to feel like an inconvenience in an almost empty bar is unacceptable.

Write a reviewReviews (427)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Customer service was appalling. Had to wait over an hour for the food and the steak was close to well done when we asked for medium rare! They offered to redo it but who knows how many hours that would take to be ready..

The food was not cooked properly and the seasoning was off. Extremely overpriced, came to about 100pp. The atmosphere wasn't great and looked really old. Also there is no free street parking.

Reviewed January 1, 2020 via mobile

Great bistro food a some great whiskey. Our first night in Glasgow in 27 years and out of time zone by many hours so a light bistro dinner was just right. Pulled pork dinner. Waitress was very knowledgeable about Whiskey and helped me try. Great atmosphere

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed November 25, 2019

We booked to go here for Sunday Lunch with Bucks Fizz. We were welcomed as we entered the Hotel where the gentleman took our coats then showed us to our table. We were offered champagne or bucks fizz. Wife had Bucks Fizz and I had the champagne .We both had the Sirloin of beef followed by the Sticky Toffee Pudding with ice cream and a nice bottle of wine. Everything we had was fantastic. The service was excellent and very friendly.We both said after our meal that, that ,was one of the best meals we have ever had. We would love to go back sometime and would thoroughly recommend here.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 16, 2019

This was a great place to dine. The service was great and the food out of this world. I had a steak cooked very blue... the way i like it.... made me want to go back the next night and order it again.

Date of visit: November 2019