“Feel Cheated”

and 1 more site!
Onslow Guest House
Ranked #28 of 35 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Were told our employees could sleep during the day as they were on a nightshift. Paid for the
rooms on this basis, but at 11.00 in the morning they were awaken and told they had to leave, as someone else required the rooms.

NOT HAPPY!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ruth D
tony2glasgow, Owner at Onslow Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Yes the company booked with us we told them check out 10:30 am you can check out 11am if you want to check out later we will need to charge you for the room they did not want to pay for another night how is a cheating

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Unfortunately have had a similar experience with this b&b. We had booked a stop over following a gig in Glasgow. We received a phone call a day or two before the booking to tell us that there was a blocked toilet in the en suite in the family room and we wouldn't be able to stay. They offered us the use of an apartment but it'd cost £50 more, we very reluctantly agreed to pay a further £30 (we were getting desperate!). The owner or associate of the business (I'm not sure who it was) said he would text us the address but this never happened. We tried calling back a few times but were fobbed off each time. Very disappointing indeed.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathryn_293
tony2glasgow, Manager at Onslow Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Yes we phoned the customer advise her we had a blocked toilet someone put something in it because it is a saniflow we had to replace a new one we never had any other rooms available in the guest house so we found her a apartment near where she was going extra cost £30 she said I will phone you back in 5 mins she never came back to us we tried phoning her she did not answer I don't know why she would lie we tried our best.

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We had booked this Guest House December 2012, for Wednesday 26th June. I have just been informed 4 days before that my reservation was cancelled!! I received NO e-mail from Budgetplaces, NOR from Onslow, my e-mail & mobile were included in the booking too. When I called the woman on the phone she did NOT apologise, or even sympathise, even had the absolute cheek to tell me to mind my language when it was very tame considering the circumstance. I am extremely annoyed with the handling of this & no apology given! Their excuse was they had a burst pipe in one room and were double booked, just as previous reviews had stated. If we hadn't of contacted them we could have been three lone females stranded in centre of Glasgow - an absolute disgrace!! On looking at other reviews was horrified to read the owners reply which included this quote:-
"we prioritised the customer and cancelled another booking in the guesthouse as we all know during Robbie Williams concert we could have got up to £250 per night as we had constant phones for a room" We had booked in December the person they replied to booked in January. Just trying to rip of the general public will get you know where!! Thankfully Travelodge saved the day and were cheaper than this guest house originally quoted and by far very friendly & courteous at all times & looked after their guests, not trying to rip them off!! One very disgruntled reviewer, & yes this is a genuine review so please bear in mind when looking for somewhere pleasant to stay!!

Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank SammyP75
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Same experience as lornamac29 - My friend and i had booked Queenspark Apartments (max 4 people) in January 2013 for the Robbie Williams concert in June 2013, we were due to travel to Glasgow on a Wednesday, the week before we were due to travel, i received a telephone call to say there was problems with the heating at the apartments and if required we would be moved into a hotel if the heating had not been fixed, i accepted this and waited for confirmation. The day before we were due to travel I had still not received confirmation and sent a text to the "manager Tony" asking for confirmation of the hotel as soon as possible. I was sent the address above. I obviously checked this on the internet and found that they had various prices for various rooms (all cheaper than what we had paid) on arrival we checked in and informed of breakfast, check out times etc i asked about the price difference and how we would receive a credit for the price difference, i was told it was nothing to do with him "John" and that i must take this up with "Tony" we were then taken to our room. Going from an apartment to a twin room with a sink in the corner and shared bathroom facilities was a huge disappointment. I sent a text to "Tony" asking how he would reimburse the monies owing, we were originally charged £90.00 for the apartment yet the twin room with shared bathroom facilities was £50.00 therefore i expected a refund of £40.00 - "Tony" rang me very abrupt stating it was not his problem the ceiling had collapsed (yet he had stated the apartment had heating problems) and that we should be thankful that he had found alternative accommodation for us as most places were charging extortionate prices, and we would not be receiving any refund ...
As we were waiting for the taxi to collect us from Onslow Guest House, a couple arrived to check in and were told that there had been problems with the room they had booked (ceiling had collapsed) and were told to go to another guest house around the corner.
I think these apartments and guest house's are owned by the same people, fobbing us off, taking our money for a huge profit as they know we would be left high and dry if we did not accept their accommodation !!!!! Be aware ... more so if you book with these around concert dates !!!!!

2  Thank J H
tony2glasgow, Owner at Onslow Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

I disagree with the comment made as a ten days notice was given to the customer for the problem that occurred in the apartment. We tried our level best to get another apartment but there was nothing available due to the concert. Our last resort was the guest house in which we made space for the customer and advised her over the phone that we could give her a twin room with a bathroom next door and a full breakfast. Customer was very happy to go ahead with this arrangement at the same price as apartment. Who then checked in ten days later and was shown room by John who said she was very pleased by the room. Then when customer came down for breakfast in the morning one ordered full breakfast and other one ordered 2 fried eggs, 2 potato scones, beans and 4 slices of toast. Finally when they were checking out they were given a receipt by John who asked how everything was. They said very nice excellent breakfast and thank you for everything. I don't understand why we are given such a negative review as we prioritised the customer and cancelled another booking in the guesthouse as we all know during Robbie Williams concert we could have got up to £250 per night as we had constant phones for a room.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I booked accommodation with this guest house online. When I arrived to check in, I was told that my booking had been cancelled. It took the guy at reception 3 or 4 tries to get my name right, and his filing system was atrocious. They didn't use an electronic system, but instead had piles of papers which he had to go through again 3 or 4 times to find my name.

He had no information other than my booking had been cancelled. He was rude and unprofessional. When I spoke to another guest house owner up the road and explained my situation, he told me that this kind of thing is fairly regular at Onslow.

I had to find accommodation for four people at the last minute in Glasgow because Onslow cancelled my booking with them. Do not use them.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter O
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I don't usually 'write review but thought this was worth mentioning to anybody who was contemplating booking with any of the apartments\guest houses owned by this person. I booked to stay in his apartments (Queens Park Apartments) at the beginning of January for the Robbie Williams Concert on 25th June for myself and two cousins. I received a phone call the week before saying that he had a problem with his apartments but could move me to a guest house (Onslow). I was not very happy as had chosen the apartments as they where in walking distance too save the hassle of trying to hire a taxi, as you can imagine how long the time it takes after a concert. He was very rude on the phone, think he was quite sure that the room would be taken by someone if we didn't accept. So we turn up at On slow house to be told that we where being moved to another guest house which was just up the street. Told the gentleman on reception that this was now the 2nd time we where being moved. He said that he didn't know anything and the owner was not around. We arrive at the other guest house. I won't mention the name as in fact this guest house was not owned by the same person. The owner stated the he did not usually take people attending concerts. Its a Quiet family run business. The man couldn't have been nicer. He showed us to our room. 3 beds in the one room and wait for it a shared bathroom. By this time we had no choice but to accept. So from booking a two bedroom Apartment we ended up in a room which had no toilet. On leaving the next morning we where charged the same amount that we where to pay for the apartment. I queried this as I had checked the guest houses prices which was a lot cheaper than what we had to pay. The man stated that this was the price that he had been told we would pay. Being slightly hungover we did not argue as it was not his fault . So b eware that was 6 m months. before the concert we booked. The person who owns these has no people skills and is a conman. Be cautious if booking.

2  Thank lornamac29
tony2glasgow, Manager at Onslow Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

This customer was given 10 days notice for the apartment, she was checking in on the 25th of June and her friend who reviewed above which says "be aware" was checking in on the 26th of June. Was advised about the same problem with apartment by manager Tony who found alternative accommodation in guesthouse and then explained everything to the customer who said give us postcode and she'd phone us back after confirming with other two friends who were going to accompany her. She did phone us back and we told her the other guesthouse was down the road from ours as we had no vacancies because of the Robbie Williams concert. When she came to our guesthouse John in the reception told her where to go, she was not happy as she thought she was going to stay here and misunderstood what Tony told her over the phone. When customers left John phoned other guesthouse to tell the owner customers are arriving in 2 minutes who said that's fine. John also phoned later that evening 7pm to make sure everything was fine and owner said they've had too much too drink but other than that everything was good. So I don't understand why customers write negative reviews as we try our level best to help them if a problem occurs.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked this guest house in November 2012 for the Stone Roses concert and a month before they have cancelled my booking and lied saying that it was me that has cancelled it! I am now left with finding accommodation three weeks prior to the concert. There is absolutely nothing at the same price range. My suspisions are that the booking has been cancelled as people will pay alot more as it is so close to the concert date. I have tried for a few weeks to have the matter resolved by the manager but keep getting fobbed off. Also I have paid a deposit. Do not book this guest house!!

2  Thank Michelle B

Hi the customer booked through hostel booker we received a phone call for the booking so we cancelled it then we sent her a message your room has been cancelled she phoned back next day she needs her accomodation we told her we have no rooms available because you cancelled it we did not charged her she asked for her deposit we told her you booked through hostel bookers they charged you the deposit you will have to phone them to get your deposit back and we will help you to find accomodation we tried our best we could not find anything because it was a big concert Stone roses we tried our best I don't know why she cancelled the booking then next day she wants the room that was not our fault she should have not canceled the booking thank you.