“Don't book this guest house.”
Review of Onslow Guest House

Onslow Guest House
Onslow Guest House
Ranked #30 of 34 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked this guest house in November 2012 for the Stone Roses concert and a month before they have cancelled my booking and lied saying that it was me that has cancelled it! I am now left with finding accommodation three weeks prior to the concert. There is absolutely nothing at the same price range. My suspisions are that the booking has been cancelled as people will pay alot more as it is so close to the concert date. I have tried for a few weeks to have the matter resolved by the manager but keep getting fobbed off. Also I have paid a deposit. Do not book this guest house!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michelle B
tony2glasgow, Manager at Onslow Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Hi the customer booked through hostel booker we received a phone call for the booking so we cancelled it then we sent her a message your room has been cancelled she phoned back next day she needs her accomodation we told her we have no rooms available because you cancelled it we did not charged her she asked for her deposit we told her you booked through hostel bookers they charged you the deposit you will have to phone them to get your deposit back and we will help you to find accomodation we tried our best we could not find anything because it was a big concert Stone roses we tried our best I don't know why she cancelled the booking then next day she wants the room that was not our fault she should have not canceled the booking thank you.

There are newer reviews for Onslow Guest House

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The guest house cancelled my room 9 days after I booked it. They cancelled it by writing a one-line e-mail: "Hi sorry we have no rooms available thank you." They did not explain why it was cancelled, or offer any kind of refund on the deposit.

I found this unprofessional and strange. Just beware - if you book here, they might suddenly cancel on you without explanation.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank E S

This booking was made through hostelworld we received it 9 days before the customer was due to arrive we phoned hostel world then they said sorry it was our fault you did not received it we had technical problems first we sent an email to customer them we phoned him and told him hostelworld had problems with computers you will have to phoned them because we have no rooms available and they have taken your deposit because you booked through them it was not our fault but we get the blame.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed here for 4 weeks while working at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and was unfortunately almost put off booking because of the poor overall rating on here. However I needed a cheap, dog friendly place close to the hospital and this ticked all the boxes. Nowhere else did so I came back to the reviews and discovered that this B and B scores much higher on all the other review sites I looked at so I would recommend you do the same. On this basis I booked in for just a week initially and was happy to extend it to the full four weeks within days of staying there.

It was spotlessly clean. The two blokes who ran the place were very friendly and went out of their way to help. Tony does an amazingly good cooked breakfast (I'm still missing it) and the free coffee machine was a great bonus (missing that too!). There was a great big tv and virgin media box in the room. John knows all the local takeaways and happily provided cutlery and crockery for me to eat my meal in the dining room.

They are really dog friendly and even allowed the dogs to stay in the room while I had breakfast (the place I stayed in previously insisted that they had to go out in the car). There is a small park just a short walk away on the same road which was ideal. Car parking was available off street and there were spaces on the street nearby if it was full.

It was perfect for the hospital as there was no staff parking and the only car park is very expensive. The hospital is only a 10 min walk away and I was able to leave my car parked safely in the driveway of the B and B.

Overall I think it was great value for money and when you keep this in mind it is very hard to criticise. It is perfect for workers like myself but also tourists - one couple staying there at the beginning of my stay returned for a second time before I left. One fellow worker said it was one of the best places he had stayed and that he more than got his money's worth when you add up breakfast, free newspapers (shared, in the dining room), the free coffee machine and the free wifi.

I have never written a review before but felt quite strongly that I needed to get on here and help to highlight that this place is so much better than it appears on here.

The only negative I can come up with is that it could be noisy sometimes but I was in a room right next to reception and in fairness it is the other guests who cause the noise. One night there were a couple of girls in the room next to me who were having a bit of a party but John was very quick to knock on their door and ask them to keep the noise down. That was only one night in four weeks.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank cjmphysio
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Onslow Guest house is a very good hotel!The hotel room was very spacious & clean and have nice Breakfast &Category a lot of free drinks,the wifi Wireless network signal is fast!specifically the owners Tony and worker John they are good man,very friendly and humor!I like stay here,anyway i feel this hotel Cost performance is very good!i think i will come back here again !

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank HU J
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed there for one night as I was meant to working at the Emirates Arena. There is very little accomodation in this part of town, so I decided that I would try the Onslow rather than stay in the city centre or west end.
At £25 B&B it is brilliant value, how they do it for that price I don't know. My single room was not huge but big enough for a single bed, wardrobe, coffee table and chest of drawers. No dance floor or pool but I survived.
I did have to share a bathroom/shower room but honestly it was SPOTLESS. It is OCD clean, hardly a fault. I have stayed in much more expensive places that were not as clean as this. If he lived closer I would have him round to clean my place. The owner was very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble, a mine of practical information on the area. The area is quiet not on a main road, parking looked easy. Breakfast selection was better than other places I have stayed in Glasgow, no anaemic toast and all the food prepared to order.
If you are looking for excellent value and easy access to the city centre, you could do a lot worse than here. It is the first hotel I have stayed iin where I think that they undercharge.

Room Tip: If you want ensuite book early.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Allister1960
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Drove 400 kms for a footie match and they claimed there was a flood and no rooms available . They had overbooked and I had to find last min alter accom at a massive premium . So while this place might be a cheap option , it's not a reliable one . Avoid like plague . I provided credit card details over the phone so have to check now that I wasn't charged as well . Caution needed on this one . A Italian couple travelling to the same game were also turned away despite booking with him directly and not proceeding with bookings .com if paid cash on delivery . Too messy

Room Tip: Always check trip advisor . I did but still got messed around
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank paulburke
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Althou the room was very small I paid £25 what more could you ask for ... He greeted me in an ok manor and was stern but polite ... He offered me a hot chocolate free of charge and sorted my room out when it was too hot, he was quick to take the money from me and photo copied my bank card which I was furious about but all in all you can't complain for £25

• Stayed: December 2012

Customer checked in very pleased with everything only problem was we need photo Id but the customer said not got anything except my bank card you can photo copy that so we did and Said sorry company policy and it says clearly we take payment on arrival but the the customer wanted to pay when check out we said we take payment on arrival eventually the payment was paid.