“The food was ok”

Order Online
Ranked #278 of 2,893 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Merchant City
Description: Japanese restaurant
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The grilled teriyaki salmon was lovely but the hand roll and sushi platter were a bit flavourless and watery tasting, The decor and staff are nice but overall the food wasn’t the best. I would go somewhere else next time

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (424)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I popped into this place last week for lunch after passing by many times and generally being a lover of Asian food, noodle's and Ramen in particular I thought I would give this place a try.

I was seated quickly enough as the place wasn't very busy (Now I know why). I ordered the Pork Ramen and what was put before me can only be described as "Noodle's in a puddle" with some pork and mushroom's floating in it. It bore no resemblance to the Japanese Ramen I know and love, infact it would have caused a riot had that been served in Japan. In hindsight, I should have complained and refused to pay but I was hungry and had eaten most of the noodle's.

Ironically, "Ichiban" actually means "Premier" or "Top level" in Japanese.

This place is more "In-the-bin" I would say.

Reviewed August 14, 2019 via mobile

Haven’t been here for a few years, but so glad we visited on a whim in passing. Food was amazing, full of taste and ordered to taste regarding spice. Sushi was very well presented and tasted like it should very fresh. Huge bowl of hot n spicy seafood ramen
Was perfect for a wet day in Glasgow. Can’t wait to go back.

Reviewed August 7, 2019 via mobile

The first dish we got in was the tempura. With it, we got a little dish of water that was supposed to be the dipping sauce. We thought it was water for us to clean our hands in after eating the fried veggies, had to ask about it... Then I got my sushi, 10 mixed maki. Tiny pieces and some of them had only cucumber in them, felt sort of ungenerous to me. Funniest thing, though, is that we ordered a bowl of "plain soba", thinking it would be a side-order noodle soup sort of like miso soup, but it was just plain noodles in the water they were boiled in with a few tiny pieces of chives in it. It was almost worth its price though because we had great fun laughing at it, why would anyone purposefully order that??

They had a great selection of Japanese beer though!

Reviewed August 7, 2019 via mobile

I ordered noodles, as appropriate at a noodle bar or so I thought. What I got was equivalent to spaghetti and oil, except with less taste and more vegetables. They gave me some chilli to add if I wanted any flavour but that was it, no soy or flavorful toppings. I also ordered tempura, which came with water as a dipping sauce. That's not a joke, we seriously got water as a dipping sauce, we even checked with the waiter. My wife ordered sushi, which came with very little of everything, such as ginger or soy. It also had some makis with nothing but cucumber as filling! We ordered plain soba and maybe this one was on us since we ordered it plain, because we got flavourless noodles in some hot water with chives as garnish. It's like they cooked noodles and served them without running off the water and adding sauce and spice to it. Why was this even on the menu?? The service was also a bit slow, especially when paying.

The only good thing I can say is that they had good Japanese beer.