“A gem of a restaurant a stones throw from Glasgow Central Station.”
Review of Piccolo Mondo

Piccolo Mondo
Ranked #26 of 2,522 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Anderston
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was taken here by a friend for a birthday lunch and was surprised how good it was. They do a fantastic offer of 2 courses for £20 which includes an aperitif and coffee or a liqueur.

We had a glass albeit small of prosecco then for a starter I enjoyed a trio of deep fried onion rings, mushrooms and brie with a garlic dip and it was delicious. My friend is vegetarian and there was a good choice for her, she had minestrone soup.
My mai course was a pasta and chicken dish; very tasty and my friend had risotto. Since the ortions were of a good size I did not have a desert but the ones I saw being served at other tables were beautifully presented, instead we had a glass of amaretto and sat for some time to enjoy it.

The restaurant is larger than immediately thought, tables are grouped together which gives the intimacy of a small restaurant but larger groups could be accomodated without disturbing a romantic table for two.

The service was excellent and I will definately eat here again.

1  Thank Tibergirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,025)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We went on a very busy Saturday night in a party of 6 and the restaurant was full and very busy.
The decor is cosmopolitan and cosy the staff were welcoming and attentive through out the evening despite being run off their feet. The only negative with the service was when I requested a glass off water they brought two large bottles of still water for the table when tap water would have been accepted ( and free ) The food was disappointing when steaks were ordered by 3 guests they served them to the wrong recipients which resulted in a table shuffle ( one steak had already been cut into ) the food was over cooked and mundane , the bill was average which went with the food, There are much better restaurants in this price range in Glasgow.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I couldn't get a table here on a Tuesday night as they were booked out and nearly didn't bother trying the next night. However it was close to my hotel and I felt it was convenient. I dined as a single woman and was treated graciously by all the staff. I was in an open space, not shoved into a corner which often happens.
In general terms, the service is excellent and attentive. The building has high ceilings with original cornices and it is redolent of old style elegance. There is a telling attention to detail and I certainly recognise this from parts of Italy and funnily enough the Italian restaurants I knew in parts of America.
The food was really excellent. I had scallops, king prawns and pasta. I could not fault one element of the dish. Big fat scallops and prawns, fresh pasta and a delicate white wine sauce. Maybe a hint too much of thickener but that is personal.
The desert was stunning. Morello cherries with cream and ice cream with a brandy marinade. Bliss of the first order.

So, if you want a proper, old style Italian meal with perfection throughout, it seems you need to book ahead. But it is certainly worth it.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was been taken out for a belated birthday lunch had read the reviews and thought we would pop along without booking how wrong was I, it was so busy on a Thursday afternoon and we hadn't booked so it was a 30 min wait we really didn't mind just proved how well worth a visit it was going to be and I wasn't proved wrong. Food and Service was first class. Drink was a little expensive but that won't stop be going back.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Been many times both with friends and also family. The food never disappoints as well as the service. A true treat. Always spoilt for choice and never know what to have, the foods that good you want a bit of everything.