“Relaxed atmosphere! Great vegan food!”
Review of Mono Cafe Bar

Mono Cafe Bar
Ranked #187 of 2,522 Restaurants in Glasgow
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Since opening in 2002, Mono has developed into an award winning café, bar and live music venue. A true originator in Glasgow's thriving bar & restaurant scene Mono has built it's reputation on fresh, home cooked food - free of animal produce, great local beer and their delicious home-brewed soft drinks, all served in a relaxed and friendly, safe space environment. Mono is a unique, versatile and fully accessible space which offers up a variety of entertainment options including; live music, baby discos, art exhibitions, book readings, record fares, beer festivals, resident DJs, foosball and general good times! Sharing its roof with the world renowned music shop Monorail, who soundtrack the cafés days, a trip to Mono is a brilliant day out and on every tourist's hit list. The café/bar is dog and child friendly, and with accessible parking on it's doorstep, Mono is the perfect place to catch up with friends and family in a casual setting. Situated 10 minutes from Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street and only minutes from The Barrowlands, it's a great pre/post gig haunt for music lovers. Oh, and if you love the sun Mono's outdoor beer garden is a treasure in the long bright nights of Glasgow summertime.
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

This place is more like a trendy bar that sells good vegan food.

The staff are cool and talk to you on a down to earth level. It's a great place to go for some drinks as well as food. It's always on my list of places to eat when I'm in glasgow.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Overall the experience left a bad taste. The food and initial server were more than adequate. This is a fully vegan restaurant which by default puts it above many of the other choices in Glasgow.

The sultan burger was good, properly seasoned and well cooked. It came with some salad which was fresh and some chips which looked homemade but we're slightly overcooked and a little bit greasy.

After the main we were left over 15 minutes with our dirty plates. We wanted to order a desert and felt an opportunity was missed just leaving us there.

After going to the bar to return the plates and ask for the desert menu we were rudely huffed at eventually brought over a single menu (for two people) and aggressively stood over by a different staff member than the one who originally welcomed us.

The experience felt uncomfortable and was disappointing we ended up having dessert at the nearby 13th note instead.

1  Thank f2097
Reviewed March 24, 2014

What a horrible place. The staff are really rude "can I take this" - not waiting for a reply before removing tomato sauce from table just before our food arrived, horrid attitude, look down their noses at you. The food takes forever to arrive. For a simple veggie burger and chips. And no apology from the staff.

I also had a hair in my burger which was long and blonde when I have dark hair. The waitress referred to it as a 'mix up' when in fact, it was a hair.

The toilets absolutely stink of stale urine.

There is a waiter there who struts about as if he's a young pretty thing - he's not young, not pretty but is a thing.

I NEVER don't tip but didn't tip at Mono - felt disgusted I even paid to eat there.

5  Thank posion ivy z
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

I took my partner here for his birthday as he is a vegetarian and he was so happy with the menu choices! In most restaurants he only has one or two options but he was spoilt for choice here! He went for a (fake) salami and red pepper pizza and I went for a veggie burger and chips,was absolutely delicious, I thought I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I would miss meat but that was not the case at all, was pleasantly surprised and was so cheap as well, amazing value for money. Would definitely recommend

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I visited Mono with my wife on the recommendation of some acquaintances. It's certainly a 'hip place' to be with a studied air of detachment and coolness. It reminded me so much of the atmospheres of the feminist bookshop, Beanos wholefood shop and Wharfe Street Cafe of Leeds from my student days several decades ago. The clientele seem so 'right on' and it really was like reliving my activist youth again. Now to the food - I am an avowed meat eater who, after two days in Glasgow had not incorporated much vegetable matter into his diet sought to make amends. The butterbean and potato soup was tasty and served with a light white bread. I had a burger and skinny fries and my wife had a chickpea wrap with fat fries. Both main courses were tasty, well presented and filling. We both had raspberry and rose lemonade which was light slightly acidic and more-ish. The bill was very reasonable and the place is on my future return visit's itinerary.

1  Thank Vernon L