“Lovely afternoon tea”

Ranked #162 of 2,552 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: The original La Bonne Auberge first opened its doors on Bastille Day in 1975, and it's had something to celebrate ever since. Glasgow's first French-Mediterranean brasserie and Bar, this smart restaurant with its aproned waiters and blackboard menus now has an AA Rosette to confirm what the locals have known all along. Set in the fashionable Theatreland district, this is a feast of Riviera cuisine.
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I recently went here with some friends for afternoon lunch and was very pleasantly surprised. I have passed it many time but this was the first time I had been inside. We had 5pm vouchers which included cakes, scones, sandwiches, a tea of your choice and a glass of prosecco. The food was lovely and the staff were very attentive. Overall it was great value for money!!

LBA M, Manager at La Bonne Auberge, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Delighted to read that you found the food was lovely and the staff very attentive. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Attended this with my brother as we were both working nearby. Had the Croque Monsieur lunch special which was tepid. The two profiteroles which then arrived 20 minutes later were frozen in the middle. Frozen profiteroles is what to expect here folks.
An awful, awful place to eat which I presume is popular due to it's location. I'd considered having dinner here in the past, but I'm glad I didn't. £23 for tepid french toast and frozen profiteroles takes the cake without shelling four times that on dinner.
In case I'm not clear; AVOID - AVOID - AVOID at all costs, AVOID.

LBA M, Manager at La Bonne Auberge, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for leaving a feedback. It is very important to us in order for us to improve our service and food. I am sorry to hear that your most recent visit was not up to your expectations. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to impress you.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

i went with the family for meal and it was delicious . staff were very friendly and helpful . wee got a great deal. it was 2 course meal and movie for twenty pounds .. wee were all happy.. i would certainly go back , the reason why i gave four stars thou as i dont agree with the 12 half percent service charge on my bill .. even thou the charge goes straight to the waitresses, being one myself i still think it should be the customers choice to tip or not .. that was the only thing i wasnt happy about but apart from that everything was great .. and wee will be back ..

Delighted to read you took advantage of our cinema package. Our service charge is discretionary therefore please do not hesitate to ask for this to be removed.
Thanks.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was in Glasgow for two nights with my partner and his cousin. After spending some time trawling the internet for good restaurants, we decided to give La Bonne Auberge a try. First impressions were good - we were given a friendly welcome and quickly taken to our table. The service overall was polite and friendly. Our waitress apologised for the absence of lime slices in our gin and tonics, explaining that they had run out. Not her fault and hardly a big deal but not really the sort of thing that should happen at a well-run restaurant. And why mention it? If we'd just been given lemon we would have assumed that was the restaurant's normal practice.

I ordered Hot and Sour Soup as a starter. This was a generous portion and quite well-flavoured but needed more sourness. I really don't understand how a price of nearly £10 could be justified for this. My main course of Pork Fillet wrapped in Pancetta was well-cooked, nicely presented and just the right size. This was cost only £8 more than my soup, rendering the price of the latter even more incomprehensible.

Previous reviewers have mentioned the automatic 12.5% service charge and I would agree that this is not a good thing. I don't think I have ever left a restaurant without tipping (I've never experienced service so poor that it didn't deserve anything) but I would like to be able to make my own mind up how much to leave (which might be more than 12.5%). The menu does make it clear that the 12.5% will be removed on request but many people would be reluctant to ask for this to be done.

Overall our experience was acceptable but we wouldn't be back in a hurry.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We took our mum on a birthday treat on a 5pm.co.UK offer. We had prosecco, sandwiches, scones and cake. A nice feature we weren't expecting was the bowl of salad. The surroundings were very pleasant and the atmosphere relaxed. Would thoroughly recommend particularly on a deal such as we had. Quite fancy going back and trying the croque miniature and french onion soup on the lunch menu too!

3  Thank Fiona C

Hope to welcome you back to sample the croque monsieur and french onion soup!