“Bring a friend.”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed October 22, 2012

A well known curry house in Glasgow's West End. Mr Ali has
become synonymous with this eaterie. I bought the recipe book which he wrote many years ago. The portions are adequate and delicious though not overpriced. This venue is usually fairly busy and you'll know why when you give the Shish Mahal a try. Make your visit soon and don't forget a friend.

There are newer reviews for Shish Mahal

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We often come here as a family but I sometimes just sneak down for the amazingly good value business lunch -£7.50 for starter, main and ice cream or coffee - pretty good! At lunchtime I'm really unadventurous - pakora, chicken madras and two chapatis. It's almost comfort food but what comfort! The quality is excellent and the service is first class. I left Glasgow in 1973 when the Shish was in Gibson Street. It was a favourite then. After 25 years of London I returned to Glasgow and rediscovered the Shish. I love it even more and now visit with three generations. You've guessed - I'm a fan!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

quality of produce allows me to be confident about eating here. i have no hesitation about recommending the shish. simple curry dished are magnificent. ie lamb and mushroom. i always mean to try others but usually , but not always stick with my usuaal. regular since1966

1  Thank icecoldinalex1
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Good food and service, seats can be a bit uncomfortable, but a good place for a quality Indian meal. Its one of the oldest Indian Restaurants in Glasgow and has always had a good reputation

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The last time I was in Glasgow West End was in 1981 and returning in 2012 I was surprised to find the Shish Mahal still exists (albeit in a different street). Usually returning to the same restaurant after years tends to lead to a let down with nothing being as good as in the memories. Thankfully not this time...the Shish Mahal is superb. Excellent service - attentive without being overbearing. Fresh jugs of water appeared promptly and repeatedly without request.The food is delicious - a truly enjoyable experience and all at reasonable prices. The portions are relatively large so be careful not to over order (as we did!). We enjoyed crispy papadoms and plain pakora as well as a portion of lamb chops for starters.All perfect. The lamb chops are absolutely succulent and to be recommended.We were not at all rushed although it was a busy Saturday evening and we had plenty of time to enjoy the starter and a reasonable break before the mains were served. Nan bread is huge and tasty. The mains were also large portions and although we 'only" ordered 3 dishes between 4 of us we still had leftovers...2 dishes would have more than sufficed. I would definitely return and can recommend Shish Mahal for a good Glasgow Indian meal experience.