“Awful”
Review of Rawalpindi Tandoori Restaurant - CLOSED

Rawalpindi Tandoori Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: As one of the elder statesmen of Glasgow’s curry scene, Rawalpindi has been serving Indian favourites to a wide demographic since 1979. The restaurant itself has moved with the times; a recent facelift resulting in neutral tones that make for a warm and relaxing environment in the midst of Sauchiehall Street’s boisterous hubbub. The menu is full of familiar dishes from crisp pakora to a chicken puri that skillfully combines tomato tanginess with just the right hint of spices. The tandoori range includes monkfish and scallops, but for the more carnivorous, there’s a mixed grill of succulent chicken on the bone, chunky seikh kebab, battered king prawns and tender lamb tikka. The jangli murgh sees generous chicken chunks served in a creamy sauce bursting with garlic and fresh coriander. From a largely reliable range of sides, the more adventurous roghni naan, with cashew nuts and egg yolk, is worth exploring. This is a restaurant that specialises in time-honoured, traditional dishes, and with a generation’s worth of experience, it’s little wonder it does it so well.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Nice interior, good service, shame about the food. Truly the worst Indian meal I've ever had. My butter chicken was luminous pink and completely bland. My husband and his friend fared little better, whilst at least their meals were a normal colour, their meals were also bland and they both thought their Archari had actually been made with tinned vegetables?
Peshwari nan burnt, flat and greasy. Avoid!

2  Thank melissa c

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We ordered two different vegetable curries and when we got them after quite a wait, they looked the same. The only difference were the vegetables in them. The ginger-garlic paste was so excessively put that all we could taste for the night was ginger-garlic in our taste buds. Also, it is over-priced.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Happen to pass by this place and it was the only indian restaurant open on the row on a bank holiday afternoon. Regretted that I wasted my money here. We were the only customers here. Thought the service was very slow n poor, but the food was even more horrible. Never knew Indian food could taste this bad. Had to ask for our dishes a few times. They just heated up/ fried normal pulao rice with lamb and call it lamb briyani. There's more gravy, a whole bowl full for each person, than the amount of rice. do they expect people to drink the tasteless gravy? and all these were taken from the buffet, which the waiter said he wouldnt recommend, basically beause he wanted to close It off in half an hour. Absurdity and atrosity at its peak. Wouldn't recommend this place.

2  Thank Anusha80
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Visited today with my elder son. Had the buffet which was well priced at 7.95 for threes courses. Decor inside fine, a wee bit dark though and service fine. Usual starters of spiced onions, poppadoms, salad, chicken chat, veg pakora,onion baji and potato fritters good. Mains included chicken in Korma,karahi,tikka masala,veg curry and lamb dopiaza. The karahi was best but others good. Three rices,garlic and plain nan. Tea coffee or ice cream for final course. All in quite good,would go again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I took the chance to visit this restaurant on a recent trip to Glasgow. It's always been a venue I'd wanted to try as my son had lived in a student flat a few floors above the restaurant, I had admired the cooking smells that eminated from below but I had just never had the opportunity to treat myself on previous visits.

The restaurant is on a roaded area of Suachiehall Street so be aware it's a busy street during the day but thankfully the restaurant was quite quiet for 7pm on a Friday evening and the food was really nice.

We paid approximately £25 per head for our meal that consisted of poppdoms & pickles, speciality curries and we shared a mixture of side & rice dishes, naan breads.

I'd recommend the Peshwari Naan and would give a better description but my opportunity to review that item was compromised as my fellow diners managed to scoff most of it - from the small piece I managed I can see why - it was very nomnomnom.

We even benefitted from a 20% (applies to food only) discount voucher that we'd been handed outside the restaurant.

The things that let the place down aren't things that should stop you eating here. The street where the restaurant is placed - Sauchiehall Street has one of the worst pavements I've walked on in Britain. It reminded me of a holiday resort pavement . Inside the Gents toilets are pokey small and despite being clean at 7pm, appear a bit dated. The walls have that shower board finish and I could imagine them to be a bit grim later in the evening.

That said the service was spot on. The food arrived quickly and we all thoroughly enjoyed the food.