“A hidden gem”
Review of Bothy Restaurant

Bothy Restaurant
Ranked #60 of 2,552 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Bothy is a unique Scottish restaurant located just off Byres Road in the West End of Glasgow. Experience a return to Scottish home cooking, the traditional way with the likes of haggis, neeps and tatties, grilled Scottish salmon and steak pie amongst others. No matter how stuffed you are you'll not want to miss dessert with dishes such as pistachio creme brulee or mango and raspberry iced parfait to name but a few.The combination of friendly service and a delicious, hearty menu make The Bothy the perfect location for family and friends to enjoy dinner in welcoming, Scottish surroundings. If you are in a group it won't cost a penny more to hire one of the private rooms just for yourselves.Free wifi access is available every day of the week, ideal if you've got a working lunch or just feel like a nosey on Facebook.
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The occasion of our visit was to celebrate a family birthday (my brother was 65 on the day). It was organised by my sister-in-law, and what an excellent choice she made. From the very start, introduction to our seats, menu, drinks, etc was professionally done. I decided to go for the main course, the duck, and it was superb with presentation and most important the taste. The six of us agreed that this was a very good eating experience. We will be back!

Bothy G, Manager at Bothy Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear David S, thank you for taking the time to review us. It is always rewarding for us when we hear about a great experience and a thank you must be passed to your sister-in-law for choosing us. Both our kitchen team and front of house were delighted to read your comments and hopefully we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards

Colin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,329)

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We arrived at the Bothy, having not booked, (early) on a Saturday evening on the basis of two separate recommendations from shop assistants in the city centre. The staff managed to 'squeeze us in' there and then and to their great credit never rushed us at all during the next hour and a half.

We loved the atmosphere and decor in the Bothy, my wife quite taken with the kilts.

The staff are top notch, very friendly, professional and come across as really enjoying their work. Despite the fact that the restaurant was reasonably full and with a large private starting just after we arrived as I say we never felt rushed and the food was really very, very good. My wife had the chicken stuffed with black pudding whilst my Gressingham duck was superb. We polished off the meal with a plate of mini-desserts, one of which, the Creme Brulee was simply sublime!

The food was competitively priced and the Bothy offers great value for money given both the quality of the food and the staff, the Christmas Day menu looks incredibly attractive and I'm seriously considering spending the Christmas break in the city.

The recommendations we had regarding the Bothy were spot on, great restaurant.

Bothy G, Manager at Bothy Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear howard k,

We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit so much. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I were married recently at a small ceremony in Glasgow. We chose the Bothy as the venue for our wedding meal as the private dining room they have upstairs “The Scullery” was ideal in size (holding approximately 20 or so guests), and has a very nice traditional look and feel.

Prior to our wedding meal, we have since been on numerous occasions as a couple to check out the quality of the food/service and it's always been very good.

The staff at the Bothy were very helpful in the lead-up to the day, allowing us to drop off things like wedding favours etc the day before, which they set up for us on the large table. We were also able to modify a few items on the set-menu to suit our guests tastes.

On the wedding day itself, after our ceremony, our guests arrived at the Bothy before we did (we were getting photos taken at another location), and were able to have a few pre-dinner drinks etc. We had the choice of providing our own music to be played in the room, or listening to the same music that is played in the restaurant.

Upon our arrival our waitress, Beth, was very friendly and attentive. We had 14 adults and 4 children in total, and she catered for everyone’s needs. The private dining room is ideal, as the children had some freedom to move around without fear of disturbing other guests in the restaurant. The food was great, many of our guests commented that it was one of the best “wedding” meals they’d had. (their menus are available online, so I won’t list it here). It was fantastic value for money, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the final bill!

In summary, we had a great meal, the service was excellent and I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending the Bothy, either for a regular meal or if you need a venue for an relatively intimate celebratory meal for around 15 to 20 guests.

Dear CCM82,

We're so pleased to have helped you enjoy your special day just that.I will pass your kind words on to Beth. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Table at 5.30pm, showing off the 'West End' to friends from Ireland. Right from the moment we walked through the door and were shown to a wonderful table (with a sofa on one side) we all loved the look, style and ambience of the place. The young waiter was attentive, helpful and always smiling, we all felt totally relaxed and pleased we'd come, even before the food arrived.
The food was in keeping with the surroundings ... excellent, and the service great the whole time. One minor criticism however, we were asked if we would like water for the table, we obviously said yes, but instead of a jug of 'good old Iced Scottish tap water' a fancy bottle of water appeared which cost us £4.50
All in all a great experience and our friends loved it, we'll definitely return.

Dear alexander d,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We're thrilled to hear we we're so well received. Tap water is always available on request and I'd like to apologize for the misunderstanding.we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I had been meaning to come here for quite sometime, plus on the back of numerous recommendations I finally got round to going here with family. I needed some where nice, not too casual and this fitted the bill perfectly.

We had a group of 6 and we were able to all select something from the menu easily enough, quite a few traditional classics although I did note that there did seem to be chorizo contained in a fair few of the main dishes. I only say this as at the time and still am unable to eat cured meats. I imagine this could be removed from this dish on request, but I don't like to alter the dish as it is as feel you some how lose out.

The food we ordered was well recieved, everything seemed to be of a good quality and fresh like it should be. The service was very attentive and friendly, and the value wasn't too bad at all. I would most certainly return here and would recommend it to others.

Dear rossd1909,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We hope to see you again soon.