“Classy Restaurant”

Brian Maule at Chardon d'Or
Ranked #86 of 2,490 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, French, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Brian Maule left his Ayrshire home town to train in the culinary capital of France, Lyon. Whilst there he worked with some of the country's most respected chefs. In 2001 he returned to Scotland to open his own restaurant in the city centre of Glasgow, Le Chardon d'Or. Since his return he has been acclaimed as one of Scotland's most prominent and accomplished chefs. He perfected his craft by leading a brigade of 18 notable chefs in the famed Two Michelin Starred restaurant Le Gavroche in London, alongside culinary legends Albert Roux & Michel Roux Jrn. Every year Le Chardon d'Or plays honoured host for these lifelong friends, Brian & Michel Roux Jnr to re-unite and deliver what is the most exclusive and sort after culinary event to take place in Glasgow, the'Le Gavroche' evening. 15 years on, Brian and his team still deliver an unrivalled fine dining experience to Glasgow residents and visitors alike. Brian's name isn't just above the door. He works in the restaurant every day where his flair & dedication to train his team in house shines through. This results in a meticulous standard whereby, no dish will leave his kitchen without him being completely satisfied. Paying homage to the bounty of the Scottish larder. Brian and his team experiment with flavours and imaginative combinations to create exquisite recipes which change with the season. As the restaurant celebrated its fifteenth anniversary in June, Brian knows that he has made a significant contribution to the UK industry. He is a staunch supporter of getting young people into the catering industry and is actively involved in the Culinary Excellence programme, helping youngsters from disadvantaged backgrounds to experience life in a professional kitchen and dining room. Under Brian's training his youngest Chef Emma Grant(17)became Rotary Clubs winner of Young Chef Of The Year 2016 having out-shone 5000 other candidates. Brian is no stranger to recognition in the hospitality industry collecting many awards over his years. His most notable in 2013 when the prestigious Culinary Institute of Scotland titled him Chef of the Year. On the back of winning SLTN Restaurant of the Year 2015 - Le Chardon d'Or now await the verdict of 2016 as they are awarded shortlisted for the same award yet again.
Reviewed August 3, 2014

The service was excellent from the moment we walked in the door.
The crab and the scallop starters were very tasty the Sea Bream main course was wonderful and the filleted Halibut main course was nice apart from a 'cocktail stick' sized bone? Desserts were lovely with a good choice.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Visited for lunch with business colleagues for the 2nd time recently and can not understand why more people don't seem to take advantage of the lunch deal here as both occasions it has been very quiet. The food is cooked and presented beautifully. The staff are polite and accommodating. I had a starter of breaded cheese walnut and celery salad and then the most delicious lamb. The only drawback would be that the food is very rich therefore probably not too diet friendly for lunchtime but this can't be a criticism.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

With most of Glasgow City Centre restaurants busy with Commonwealth Games visitors, we decided to try something different away from the mainstream. Although this is still a City Centre location, it is a quieter end of the town. We are so delighted with our choice. The restaurant was fairly quiet on our arrival but had started to fill up by the time we left. The staff were very attentive. We had the choice of the fixed menu at a set price - 2 courses for £20.00 or 3 courses for £23.50, I believe this was pre-theatre. We decided to choose from the A la carte menu. The food was faultless. We will definitely be back again!

1  Thank GeriJones
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We have been going to Brian Maule since it opened, and always wondered why it was never in contention for a Mitchelin Star, after all he did train under one of the best! However, now I know! We had noticed that the service was starting to go down hill, on previous visits, but after our last experience we will not be back! We were brought chilled red wine, if we had wanted chilled wine we would have bought white, they then took it away to warm? We were then brought our starters, and had to ask for our wine, we ate our starters however I have no idea how they warmed the wine, but by the taste of it, it was done in the microwave, we had to send it back, our main meals were then brought out and still no wine, so we asked why we were being served our mains, when we still had no wine, they took our mains away, returned with a new bottle of wine, then returned with our mains, mine was cold, and my husbands, who had duck, and had asked for it medium, was hot but dried out and well done. At this point we had had enough, we called the manager over, and to be honest, he wasn't the least bit interested, we ended up walking out, which I have never done. I have travelled all over the world, with work and pleasure, and never did I think I would be walking out of a restaurant in my own home town. I can understand some of the reviews about service, and why the restaurant isn't at full capacity, if Brian Maule doesn't go back to the way his restaurant was, then he won't be surving in Glasgow.

4  Thank Disappointed H
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Made my 5th visit here and on this occasion was a solo diner. The staff were attentive and as always the good was very good. I had the lamb as a main and it was top notch. One of my 3 favourite restaurants in Glasgow. I have already booked a table for my next visit and am happy to recommend it.