“Lovely food”

Brian Maule at Chardon d'Or
Ranked #85 of 2,522 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, French, Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Brian Maule left his Ayrshire home town to train in the culinary capital of France, Lyon. Whilst there he worked with some of the country's most respected chefs. In 2001 he returned to Scotland to open his own restaurant in the city centre of Glasgow, Le Chardon d'Or. Since his return he has been acclaimed as one of Scotland's most prominent and accomplished chefs. He perfected his craft by leading a brigade of 18 notable chefs in the famed Two Michelin Starred restaurant Le Gavroche in London, alongside culinary legends Albert Roux & Michel Roux Jrn. Every year Le Chardon d'Or plays honoured host for these lifelong friends, Brian & Michel Roux Jnr to re-unite and deliver what is the most exclusive and sort after culinary event to take place in Glasgow, the'Le Gavroche' evening. 15 years on, Brian and his team still deliver an unrivalled fine dining experience to Glasgow residents and visitors alike. Brian's name isn't just above the door. He works in the restaurant every day where his flair & dedication to train his team in house shines through. This results in a meticulous standard whereby, no dish will leave his kitchen without him being completely satisfied. Paying homage to the bounty of the Scottish larder. Brian and his team experiment with flavours and imaginative combinations to create exquisite recipes which change with the season. As the restaurant celebrated its fifteenth anniversary in June, Brian knows that he has made a significant contribution to the UK industry. He is a staunch supporter of getting young people into the catering industry and is actively involved in the Culinary Excellence programme, helping youngsters from disadvantaged backgrounds to experience life in a professional kitchen and dining room. Under Brian's training his youngest Chef Emma Grant(17)became Rotary Clubs winner of Young Chef Of The Year 2016 having out-shone 5000 other candidates. Brian is no stranger to recognition in the hospitality industry collecting many awards over his years. His most notable in 2013 when the prestigious Culinary Institute of Scotland titled him Chef of the Year. On the back of winning SLTN Restaurant of the Year 2015 - Le Chardon d'Or now await the verdict of 2016 as they are awarded shortlisted for the same award yet again.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Me and my husband dined at Brian Maule last night, we had been given a voucher for a wedding present and made the most of it last night. What a hidden gem this restaurant is. The layout of the dining room is very intimate and the staff are very attentive from the minute you walk in. I choose not to have a starter but my husband had the scallops to start and said they were lovely if not a bit sparse, there were only 2 scallops on the plate. I had the cod for my main and it was beautiful, a lovely big piece of cod. My husband had the beef cheek which he said was tender and perfectly cooked. For dessert I had the apple tart tartin with butterscotch sauce which was nice although the pastry had gone very soggy, my husband had the creme brûlée which was lovely and a very big portion. All in all it was a really nice meal and we will be back.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

every item on the menu has fabulous flavour - so it is easy to to feel replete at any stage of a meal and the layout of the restaurant makes you feel that you have plenty of space to relax indulge yourself and chat with discrete exemplary service that is attentive but never makes you feel rushed. we had a fabulous night out.
order extra bread as you will want to wipe up every plate.
the lamb with smoked cows cous was amazing - complex harmonious flavours you could taste through the aroma

Reviewed April 10, 2014

From the outside, this place doesn't look much. However it had been highly recommended and it was fabulous. The atmosphere is intimate and discreet, and the service is the same. We had the taster menu, not something I would usually choose, but it looked intriguing. It was sensational - the duck to start melted in your mouth, the scallops were paired with chorizo which was unusual but really worked. And so it went on. I thoroughly recommend this place for food lovers, or a good old romantic evening.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We booked a pre theatre meal and the service and food we received was very good. I would highly recommend to anyone visiting Glasgow.

1  Thank JacquelineMcKay
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Was really looking forward to eating here as so many people had recommended it. I was in a family party of 6 and our round table felt as if we had been squeezed in really close to the front door and path to the kitchen and toilets! We were constantly aware of staff and other diners moving about around us which really spoiled the atmosphere.There was a cutlery unit right behind us and on several occasions cutlery was dropped and no apology was made. This sounds really picky but it felt like we were in the middle of Central Station with all the movement that was going on. I expected professional staff delivering great service but you got the impression that no one had been allocated to our table and we had different waiting staff putting down the wrong courses in random places. The food was ok but nothing special. My tartlet starter was dry and flavourless and my steak main course (asked for medium) was overdone and blackened on the outside. My husband had Red Mullet followed by Roasted Cod and he felt both courses were greasy leaving him feeling quite queasy! As we were there to celebrate my Mum's birthday we didn't want to cause a fuss and complain but I really wish we had. Overall the food was not to the standard we had hoped for and the staff really need some training. A really disappointing experience.

2  Thank Sooz1232013