“Fantastic food and wine, wonderful service.”

Brian Maule at Chardon d'Or
Ranked #79 of 2,411 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, French, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Brian Maule left his Ayrshire home town to train in the culinary capital of France, Lyon. Whilst there he worked with some of the country's most respected chefs. In 2001 he returned to Scotland to open his own restaurant in the city centre of Glasgow, Le Chardon d'Or. Since his return he has been acclaimed as one of Scotland's most prominent and accomplished chefs. He perfected his craft by leading a brigade of 18 notable chefs in the famed Two Michelin Starred restaurant Le Gavroche in London, alongside culinary legends Albert Roux & Michel Roux Jrn. Every year Le Chardon d'Or plays honoured host for these lifelong friends, Brian & Michel Roux Jnr to re-unite and deliver what is the most exclusive and sort after culinary event to take place in Glasgow, the'Le Gavroche' evening. 15 years on, Brian and his team still deliver an unrivalled fine dining experience to Glasgow residents and visitors alike. Brian's name isn't just above the door. He works in the restaurant every day where his flair & dedication to train his team in house shines through. This results in a meticulous standard whereby, no dish will leave his kitchen without him being completely satisfied. Paying homage to the bounty of the Scottish larder. Brian and his team experiment with flavours and imaginative combinations to create exquisite recipes which change with the season. As the restaurant celebrated its fifteenth anniversary in June, Brian knows that he has made a significant contribution to the UK industry. He is a staunch supporter of getting young people into the catering industry and is actively involved in the Culinary Excellence programme, helping youngsters from disadvantaged backgrounds to experience life in a professional kitchen and dining room. Under Brian's training his youngest Chef Emma Grant(17)became Rotary Clubs winner of Young Chef Of The Year 2016 having out-shone 5000 other candidates. Brian is no stranger to recognition in the hospitality industry collecting many awards over his years. His most notable in 2013 when the prestigious Culinary Institute of Scotland titled him Chef of the Year. On the back of winning SLTN Restaurant of the Year 2015 - Le Chardon d'Or now await the verdict of 2016 as they are awarded shortlisted for the same award yet again.
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and wine, wonderful service.”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I were in Glasgow for a three day trip and I wanted something special for the first night in town. I found Brian Maule via a google search and read the menu and a load of reviews before booking. We chose to splash out on the "Celebration menu" with matched wines. It was a truly enjoyable journey through some culinary delights! The service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive (not once was I asked "is your meal ok?" just as I put a forkful of food in my mouth).
It was a Tuesday night (Celtic were playing in the champions league) and the restaurant was not too busy, one large group of business people and one or two other couples, so it was fairly calm and relaxed and a very enjoyable atmosphere.
Each glass of wine was expertly introduced and described but without any pretentious wine snobbery, and then each plate of food was delivered with a clear description so we knew exactly what we were eating. With six courses to get through, plus an amuse bouche, we were both grateful that the portion size was small, some may complain about this, but I would rather have it this way so that I can still walk at the end of the meal. Will definitely add this to the list of "must visit again".

• Visited October 2013

Glasgow
“Another fantastic meal”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I have dined here on several occasions and it never disappoints. Our meal on Saturday night was fantastic (the smoked haddock starter was one of the nicest courses I have ever eaten). I have never experienced service anything short of excellent here and Saturday was no different. Pleasant waiting staff and attention to detail make every meal here feel like a special occasion (and most often for us, it is!) Definitely my favourite restaurant in Glasgow - faultless! And for an extra special evening, start off with a cocktail (or two) in the Blythswood Hotel just around the corner, before your meal - we did!

• Visited September 2013
edinburgh
“very disappointing”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Was dining here on Sat night with my husband and have to say i was very disappointed. It was our 37th wedding anniversary and my husband booked us into a hotel in Glasgow and scrolled the internet to find us a nice restaurant to have our special meal and after reading the reviews for this restaurant we dicided to book .We found it pleasant when we first arrived but it slowly went down hill.We ordered from their veggie menu and ordered a bottle of red wine.(dont know if it was because we where veggie) but we started to feel a bit like second class citizens,.The young waiter that served us with our wine wasnt very pleasant ,and when the waitress came with our main she put it in front if us without saying a word,not even enjoy your meal.We. were sitting at a table for 2 at the window and when my husband ordered a second bottle of wine the same waiter just plonked it down on the widow sill without saying a word.The food i found to be very bland and boring and as i was made to feel uncomfortable i didnt even eat half my main .When they lifted the plates away i wasnt surprised that they didnt ask if there was something wrong with it .We intended to have the cheese board and maybe a glass if port ,but by now i just wanted to leave.We have been to fine dining restaurants before Wisharts in Edinburgh to name one and felt very welcome . For the money we spent it left me just a little deflaited.Poor Show Brian Maule!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
7 Thank weekendersEdinburgh
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Brilliant meal. I had scallops for entree and cod for main. Both were delicious and cooked perfectly. Champagne was good and reasonably priced. Great service. Would definitely return.

Visited September 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“AMAZING FOOD!!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have dined here so many times and I have no faults at all !! The food is always fantastic, presentation and taste ! Top notch! One of my favourites in Glasgow. The staff are at the top of there game and go the extra mile everytime. The lunch and pre theatre menus are extremely good value and are updated all the time. I highly reccomend this restaurant it is one of the best in Glasgow.

• Visited May 2013