“Great Christmas meal”

Cuisines: European, French, Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: "In the lively, bohemian Port of Leith, Malmaison Brasserie reigns supreme as a superlative place to meet and eat. The highly chic Art Nouveau French brasserie has sleek, stylish decor and actual port views. The staff are passionate about food, wine and service, and the dining room is lit with that brasserie buzz. Malmaison Executive Chef, Roy Brett has overall direction. What's cooking? Inspiration is taken from great 'French brasserie-style dishes' and further enhanced with a unique contemporary twist. Dishes include char-grilled ribeye with cafe de paris butter and fine beans and salmon fishcake with parsley sauce and buttered spinach. For those of you with a sweet tooth, be sure to try the tarte tartin with creme chantilly. "
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Wasn't really looking forward to having our Christmas meal at Malmaison but pleasantly surprised.The service was super especially when there was a drink order error. The food was really enjoyable. We enjoyed it so much that I've booked a DBB deal for the New Year.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I hadn't been to the malmaison for a number of years , indeed I had forgotten all about it until my office chose to have their Christmas meal there.

All I can say that i the standard of food we were served represents the quality of food served in the Malmaison as a whole (which I'm sure it does) then I will have no hesitation in going back.

We weren't rushed in any way and the serving staff very very efficient and supremely well organised.

This was the very best in Christmas catering and is definately a restaurant I'd recommend to anyone who wishes top quality food in a wonderful setting.

1  Thank radioman60
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We ate on an Itison voucher for Steak and frites and glass wine each. We arrived arly and service at the bar was slow mainly due to the fact that only one girl serving.
Went to our table about 8pm and founs ourselves sitting next to a post , one of us facing the wall the other facing the back of the seats. It tokk almost 20 minutes for our order to be taken and even at that had to ask to order, when I mentioned the delay the male serving us who looked like a manager didnt even acknowledge that I had said anything.
We ordered chiken skewers and pran cocktail for starters. Skewers were really nice but the £7.95 prawn cocktail was only avereage and not worth the money.
The steak and frites arrived allegedly medium to well done. Mines was well done outside and red inside and had to ask for a steak knife as normal knife wouldnt cut it as was quite chewy. The other one was ok.
Overall we were both disappointed with the service and the food and they had the cheek to automatically add a 10% service charge.
A lasy sitting near us had similar problems and sent her meal back twice !
Definetly wont be back

Reviewed November 23, 2012

THis Brasserie enjoyed a very relaxing style complimented with the service of beautiful food.

Wholly recommended for a business trip.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Went for dinner here on Friday evening. Service in the bar area was great, staff know how to mix up a good martini. The atmosphere in the restaurant is nice, it's downstairs in a basement, with ambient lighting.
We had a choice of menus, the set menu looked good, but we went a la carte. Once we'd put our orders in then that's when the service started to get a bit wobbly. Starters arrived before drinks (?), the red wine arrived after some prompting, although it was refreshingly chilled. The (£30) fillet steak was flavourless and disappointing. Partner had a salad (very reasonable at £12), which was very good, and the crayfish and prawn cocktail starter was generously Texan-sized!
The staff were very friendly and pleasant, but service wasn't as prompt as it should have been.
I'd recommend the restaurant for a good pre-theatre meal. The Malmaison has all the right ingredients to make a superb restaurant, but my experience here won't have me going back for a while.