“Easily one of the best restaurants in Glasgow”
Review of Stravaigin

Stravaigin
Ranked #105 of 2,511 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Stravaigin is old Scots for 'wander', a word that nicely encapsulates the restaurant's ethos. Both the menu and d��cor evolve; there's a wonderful creativity about this West End favourite. Locally-sourced ingredients are used to create imaginative international dishes such as Indonesian pork balls with vermicelli noodle jam jar salad. For something closer to home, try the haggis - recently voted the best in Scotland. The subtly dark, leather- wallpapered basement restaurant shares a menu and nautical theme with the less formal caf�� bar above. Service is informal yet informed. The staff know the menu and wines inside out and are adept at keeping cool under pressure, especially during the pre-theatre scrum. Exciting , affordable food without the foodie formalities.
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I've eaten in Stravaign many times, both the bar and the downstairs restaurant and have consistently had a great dining experience.
We went for my partners birthday and had an exceptional meal. Beautiful soft plump mussels in a spicy broth, delicious pork belly and a very impressive (complimentary) chocolate brownie dessert with a lovely little birthday message drawn on the plate with chocolate sauce. The staff were attentive and helpful, but not overly gushy and intrusive.
If you haven't been to Stravaign, go! You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I visited for our 2nd wedding anniversary and couldn't have been happier. We choose Stravaigin based on its Bib Gourmand award and it lived up to its billing. The food was excellent, at a reasonable price (for the quality), and allowed us to experiment with ingredients that we'd never tried before (e.g. hibiscus soup). The service was helpful without been intrusive. After studying the menu we were asked if we had any questions about any of the choices which set the scene for staff who were knowledgeable about what was on offer and were helpful in their suggestions. A few months on and we still talk about our visit to Stravaigin which says all about the time that we had.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We visited and were promptly seated in the bar area, service was fast and friendly. The food was excellent, have frequently paid more for poorer food. The variety is excellent, and prices reasonable. My dessert was outstanding. We'll be back.......

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stravaigin Glasgow

We were visiting Glasgow for the Vetttriano exhibition at Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery. Friends suggested meeting at the Stravaigin restaurant for lunch since it is not too far from Kelvingrove and easy for them to get to by subway. The whole place was rather empty when we arrived, which was a surprise at 13:00 on a Saturday, especially given that there was a Glasgow University Open Day on. We started off in the basement seating which seemed to smell a little musty and damp. However, when it turned out our friends were sitting in a different part of the restaurant, we joined forces and moved to a table on the mezzanine floor. The mezzanine was compact and the tables look like they have been collected from various junk shops, but this is part of the charm.
The service was friendly and efficient without being overpowering. We started with some very good Pinot Noir and looked at the menu. It appeared to be a mixture of Scottish and Indian with some other influences thrown in. In the end we decided since we were on in Scotland for a couple of days we should stick to the local fare and ordered the fish supper, the breakfast and the mussels. I had the fish supper and while it was pleasant, it was not the best I’ve ever had. The batter was a bit fatty and the chips not very crisp. Having said that I did enjoy the fish and the chips were good enough to complement it, with the tartar sauce more than making up for the batter. Of the dishes at the table the mussels were the best. They were in liquor which, though slightly sweet, carried a good chili kick and was worth eating on its own. The breakfast was a full Scottish breakfast, well cooked and with the expected ingredients. All the dishes were filling, plenty for a Saturday lunchtime.
Being on the mezzanine floor could get distracting depending on what was happening below. It got very distracting when one of the waitresses had the misfortune to drop a whole pile of, thankfully empty, plates.
Wanting something to finish the meal I ordered cheese and was very pleasantly surprised. The oatcakes were a good compliment to the three cheeses I had ordered, much better than bread or crackers. The cheeses were served at exactly the right temperature. They were just warm enough for the Camembert type to be slightly runny and for the blue cheese and goats cheese to spread easily while retaining shape and texture. It may seem a strange thing to comment on but with cheese the temperature has a lot to do with the flavour.
Overall this is a restaurant I would describe as nice rather than wonderful. The cost with wine and beer was only just over £20 per person. The portions are large and the cross between Indian and Scottish on the menu shows quite a bit of invention. I’m not sure I would rush back given the limited number of times I am in Glasgow, but certainly a restaurant that would be on my regular list if I lived in the city.

1  Thank GrahamP81
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I've been to Stravaigin for breakfast, with some Italian friends. I use to have Scottish breakfast, but the Stravaigin one is probably the best ever.
Quantity not too much, but the quality of food was amazing.
All of us were really satisfied.
Very good guys!!!