“Revisit to Gamba”

Gamba Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 2,393 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: British, Scottish, Seafood, European, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Centre
Cross street: West Campbell Street
Transit: Buchanan St underground is a short walk. Queen St station and Glasgow Central station are both close by.
Description: The award-winning Gamba restaurant in Glasgow serves the best seafood available in its own unique style, and has established a formidable reputation for quality.
north west
“Revisit to Gamba”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Had not been in Gamba for a significant time so on latest trip to Glasgow on Wednesday gave it a another go. Menu including small glass of wine £30 sides extra ,Fish soup was very good as was the Hake .The apple and cinnamon crème brulee was as good as it gets ! Overall a good experience although the restaurant was quiet and therefore lacked a bit of atmosphere and may be the menu is slightly steep for a quick midweek dinner .

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London
“So glad I proposed on the previous dinner and not this one!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Having found this in the Michelin Guide we went for dinner. We arrived for six and there was only one table occupied. Despite this we were seated at the table next to them by the radiator which was on full blast. If only the music was played a little louder or the lights dimmed a little more, that it might make the experience that bit more bearable but instead we were sat in close company in awkward silence.
The lemon sole was lovely but the atmosphere felt very contrived and awkward. The three staff fussed about with towels over their arms on empty table when they should have been attended to us.
To give us one bread roll each with our soup is fine but clearly when that bread roll is finished you should be asking if the customer would like another ect. Instead they did circuits around the empty restaurant and only when we had finished the main did the head of house realise we had moved tot he very edge of the table ask if we wanted the heater off.
Firstly for a restaurant of this calibre there should be no tables next to heaters and secondly it must have been evident to them that we were in discomfort. Much like the lack of table clothes. This is not post-modernist or Wagamamas, this is meant to be a top restaurant and for £80 for a meal I expect the cost of cleaning a linen cloth!
Now breaking into a sweat we declined dessert and opted to leave. We were prompted on the pin machine that we could add a tip which we obviously didn't and the Fawlty Towers camaraderie continued with the delegation of the coats being retrieved.
In finishing the food was good but the service just ruined the experience by trying to be too fussy and acting as thou it were some cordon bleu in Paris which the Urban Brassiere does a better job at without making the customer feel awkward.

1 Thank ledge69
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very Nice Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I took my partner here for a birthday treat and I was not disappointed. The food was very nice, I had the fish soup to start and a very tasty soup it was too! My partner had the oysters which he said were very nice. For the mains I had the monkfish and scallops wrapped in paper and my partner had the seabass with ceaser salad, both were delicious. The wine was very expensive for what I would call very run of the mill wines so we settled on one at £26 which was okay. We finished off with coffee and cognac and were given some superb tablet with that. All in all we had a lovely evening even if a wee bit on the pricey side but I would definitely go back. If you like seafood I would recommend you try this place.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A little lacking in atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was a valentines night out. There's no question that the food is excellent although the Lemon Sole in butter probably could have done with a little less butter! We were only offered the set menu for the night which i was a little disappointed by. Although I understand some people may like that, I prefer to have a choice. £40 for three courses is ok but i wasn't impressed that I had to pay a supplement for sides. The wine list was pretty good but the cheapest is £21 a bottle.
It was nice. But thats about it. The restaurant lacked a personality. There was no real atmosphere and considering it was valentines day I just didn't feel the love for this place. If you're just looking for the food experience or looking to impress business clients this is the place but for a more intimate affair i would look elsewhere.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“2nd Visit, Just as good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I loved the food on my first visit to Gamba and certainly wasn't disappointed on my second! The staff are really very friendly and attentive, without being overbearing. The food is fantastic: I'm yet to have something that's anything less than superb. If you love seafood you really need to have a look.