“Gone down in my estimation”
Review of Cafe Gandolfi

Cafe Gandolfi
Ranked #155 of 2,570 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: "Deagh bhiadh, deagh bheannachd" Well fed, well blessed. It's this sense of Hebridean hospitality that makes Café Gandolfi such an incredible long standing institution in the Glasgow scene. Opened in 1979, and pioneering the Merchant City into becoming the hub of bars and restaurants that it is today, Gandolfi is a truly well loved and frequented corner of Glasgow. From the main café with its iconic Tim Stead furniture downstairs, the hidden treasure bar up in the attic boasting gorgeous cocktails and atmosphere, to the glamorously sleek Gandolfi Fish two doors up with its adjoining little sibling Fish To Go, this little section of the Merchant City looks set to continue keeping the bar toweringly high when it comes to all things good food, good wine and great hospitality.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

After raving about this place (I've been a few times) my Mum was visiting from France so we went for an early meal before a show. Firstly the waitress seemed pretty disinterested "she'd just started" . I asked re the new monthly Gandolfi club wine she did not offer a taste so it was as I suspected too "Chardonnay" in character for my taste (I drank it too British to send it back) . The plates were cold , the food wasn't seasoned . My Mum rarely salts her food but felt the need to do so on this occasion . The dauphinoise was a bit thrown together & lukewarm . What a damned shame ....has put me off returning , maybe it was an off night but wish I hadn't picked it !!! :-(

Write a ReviewReviews (1,175)

Reviewed April 29, 2014

First trip to the cafe was on my honeymoon 12 years ago, we recently returned back to Glasgow with 9 year old son and were not disappointed, the food was still great! They were very accommodating to my son and prepared him a half order of the pasta. If you are looking to have a nice dinner out I would highly recommend. Yes, the prices are a little more expensive, but not overly so, but everything seems to be prepared fresh and is of high quality.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Went here for an early dinner as it was recommended by friends and it was well worth it. Food was amazing. They even accommodate my pregnancy.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I used to like going to Gandolfi's, it was quite rightly a Glasgow institution. However the last visit was disappointing. The staff were completely unaccommodating toward any of our party who wanted or needed to go off-menu... at this price they should be able to make exceptions. The menu options were pretty uninspiring and bland if you don't eat meat or fish; potatoes and a lump of cheese being the only choice for a starter - it was served exactly as unrefined as it sounds and a main course that had almost no flavour; but I was so hungry by the time it eventually arrived I ate it. This is a restaurant that has made its reputation on fish and hearty Scottish fayre but I don't remember it being so overtly unfriendly to vegetarians and vegans in the past. As other reviewers have indicated, the price is quite high in comparison to other city centre restaurants with a more accommodating attitude towards their customers.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Having visited Glasgow for well over 20 years, I cant believe I have never been before. Although I have tried Gandolphi Fish, just along the street

Ok was just for a breakfast but what a lovely breakfast it was. Eggs en cocotte was a new one for me and did not disappoint. Delicious baked eggs with ham & cheese. Great coffee too.

Will definitely go back to try lunch or dinner. The specials board looked really good.