“Just perfect”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: "Deagh bhiadh, deagh bheannachd" Well fed, well blessed. It's this sense of Hebridean hospitality that makes Café Gandolfi such an incredible long standing institution in the Glasgow scene. Opened in 1979, and pioneering the Merchant City into becoming the hub of bars and restaurants that it is today, Gandolfi is a truly well loved and frequented corner of Glasgow. From the main café with its iconic Tim Stead furniture downstairs, the hidden treasure bar up in the attic boasting gorgeous cocktails and atmosphere, to the glamorously sleek Gandolfi Fish two doors up with its adjoining little sibling Fish To Go, this little section of the Merchant City looks set to continue keeping the bar toweringly high when it comes to all things good food, good wine and great hospitality.
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Perfect atmosphere, perfect food and perfect service! We were given a few samples of wines to try and went for the Chilean Merlot which was wonderful. I had the best cooked steak I have had in a long time. the service is first class - nothing is too much bother. Noticed another reviewer complaining that there was no children's menu - we have always been able to have a small portion of whatever is on the menu for the children - much better than nuggets or fish fingers on offer elsewhere. Definitely one of our favourites.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,182)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Had dinner there the other night. It was a 6pm booking and surprisingly there was no pre-theatre menu available. My 4 year old grandson accompanied us and there was no childrens menu either. I had the smoked venison (thin slices) which came cold as advertised but accompanied by mega hot dauphinoise potatoes. A strange combination but each to their own. If I hadn't ordered the cheesecake for sweets, I would have left still hungry as my main course was lightweight. There were 7 of us and 5 enjoyed the food. My grandson loves to finish his meal with a couple of balls of ice cream but surprisingly the waitress advised they do not sell ice cream. That's a first for me who has been dining in restaurants for 40 years. Consenus around the table was that we would not be hurrying back.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

This place was recommended to us by a man in the street, he said it was great, and it was.
I had the black pudding starter, which was without doubt the best i've had. it was meaty, hot and delicious.
For my main I had the Chicken Kiev, although I wish I'd had the Scallops, which was a special.
The decor was as it should be, it was really the perfect place to stay out of the rain of Glasgow. The Air Con did run a little chilly though, but i'm sure this is just preference.
Would definitely eat here again next time i'm in glasgow.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Enjoyed yet another lunch visit to this Merchant City staple. Food always good and service friendly and efficient. The Duck special was beautifully cooked and had great accompaniments. Would love to have stayed for longer but had to get back to work...

1  Thank Murphy1976
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Met with friends for breakfast on Sunday morning. A lovely, leisurely place to spend a couple of hours, eating and chatting. The food was of excellent quality and the staff very friendly. Will certainly go back next time I am in town.