“'Roll in the middle bed'”
Review of Newton Hotel

and 1 more site!
Newton Hotel
Ranked #86 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Melbourne
“'Roll in the middle bed'”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for just one night. The room was tiny, barely fitted the double bed, and left little room for bags etc. The bed itself had a mattress that directed all occupants straight to the centre of the bed. Pillows were a bit thin and light on for numbers. The room was quite noisy as well...plumbing perhaps? The shower looked like something from Dr Who with multiple jets etc designed for a spa effect I think. It seemed an odd addition to a budget room.
There is very limited car parking available at the rear of the hotel accessed via the rear lane way. It is open so offers no security. These places need to be pre booked.
This IS a budget hotel and the location suited us but I'm not sure that these things make up for the poor quality of sleep.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Thurso, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Check in was easy and staff friendly. Room was very small but it was only for one night so it was fine. Shower was good, very powerful. Bathroom was in need of a good clean around the sink and radiator. Breakfast was not bad juice was warm as sitting out on the counter.

Stayed April 2014
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Like to the point that we timed the noises made by the plumbing and every 4 minutes the toilet had to let off some steam. All through the night there was just no stopping it, to the point we returned home shattered.

Our room was a little dark and small but clean enough and we were only staying for the night so not too much of a problem. I can't believe that people who stayed in room 7 havn't mentioned the plumbing though?

Room Tip: Ask for one to the front
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Ardrossan, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We used this hotel as it was a good price and close to King Tut's where we were going to a gig later. We didn't really have any expectations and only wanted somewhere to put our heads down after a good night out but were pleasantly surprised. The room was spotless, all the usual stuff, tea/coffee etc. shower excellent and staff very friendly, breakfast was just ok but no complaints and would definitely go back

• Stayed April 2014
Bedford
Reviewed March 29, 2014

When I arrived I checked in fine, I reserved the room off the late room web site, that’s ‘Reserved’ so I pay when I arrive. I was a little un satisfied when the receptionist advised they tried to take the money off the card I reserved with and showed me 2 attempts. (As a regular uk tripper im more wised up to this kind of behaviour so reserved with a prepayment card, it’s a great tool to use, I would recommend using a pre-payment credit cards to book for anyone, because you can pay when you want, not when they want).

It was a bit of a walk to the room, plenty of stairs, to enter and exit (accept in an emergency) I had to go down a set of stairs, walk in and out the breakfast room then up the stairs to reception. I did not find this much of a problem but it does seem a bit ‘faulty towers’.

Room was tidy, clean, tv has full Freeview channels. The bed was pretty comfy, room was nice and warm and I had control of the heating, bathroom was small but excellent (looked very new).
One day I wanted a lay in, I was so pleased the cleaners did not knock and took notice of the do not disturb sign. Later that day I had a phone call in the room asking if I wanted room service but I declined. But a very nice touch I thought.

So yeah if im in the area, ill book again for the right price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Wanted a cheap hotel to stay one night only as I was attending the Commonwealth Games Volunteer Orientation. I will need to travel from London Area to Glasgow a few times in the next few months and the less dent in my pocket the better.
I got what I paid for. £40 got me a room at the back of the building overlooking a grotty courtyard but this meant my night was a quiet one. The room number 19, was small and for single occupancy but aside from no hair-dryer it had all I needed and the bed was a large single. No bath but an ambitious shower (one of those multi spray things that took up half the cubicle) Nowhere to put your toiletries or towel, juggling act with that one and only one towel - no hand or floor towel which was an issue as the cubicle doors were broken and wouldn't shut properly so water was on the floor when I got out the shower. Heat of water also fluctuated.
Had the Full English in the morning and it was passable but not brilliant. Machine for coffee and tea and the ladies serving were pleasant.
When I go away I ask for fresh milk for my room as I hate the little packs. I felt that this service was not available as the gentleman on the desk when I arrived was a bit terse. When I asked if there was a decent steak restaurant in the area he told me that Sauchihall Street was just around the corner and I should look there - not really helpful.
The centre of town is @ 20 minutes walk if you stroll along and Glasgow has interesting architecture so the walk is pleasant. There appeared to be a lot going on in local area pubs and clubs so if that's your thing you wont have to go far.
Lady on the desk in the morning was pleasant. Not sure that I would stay there again though.
Oh and no evidence of a lift and several sets of stairs were needed to access my room.

Room Tip: Room 19 for solo was Ok - dodgy shower cubicle though
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank DebTen
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Good location!!!! Decent price considering the location and considering its proximity to the main city area (George square)... Next time when any of u plan ensure you book a hotel in Scotland with out breakfast... It's waste of money if you are checking in to this hotel.. So many options you get just round the corner that you will not need to wake up early morning between 7 to 9 am for breakfast.... Small room however considering you are a visitor hotel room size should and would not matter... By the time you are back in room you wld be so tired that it may not be worth to look at the size of room...

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple