“Friendly Staff, value for money, needs some tweaking.”
Review of Newton Hotel

Newton Hotel
Ranked #86 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed with two other friends in a triple room for £65 including breakfast on New Years eve so great value budget accomodation.

There are only minor issues such as no lock on our bathroom(we were two guys and one girl) which is a basic. There was alot of noise which can't be helped and is part of the location in any city centre but the curtains weren't great for keeping the light out which didn't help. The Matress wasn't the best quality. If I stay somewhere like that I expect somewhere to wash and sleep so I think some new Matresses should be invested in along with Blackout Blinds/Curtains and locks on Bathrooms. Strong smell of smoke when we entered the room. Appeared clean but something like that is what you remember, regardless of how spotless it looks.

The staff were great, arranging wake up calls, taxi's and advice while always being polite and friendly.Great having a power shower, better than my shower at home. Great Location for a night out or people who just want somewhere to stay overnight. Does what it says on the tin though and doesn't really pretend to be something else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JJude490
There are newer reviews for Newton Hotel

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stay overnight in hotel around 30 nights a year and this is the first time i have ever felt the need to leave negative comments about any hotel.

On arrival I was guided by gentleman on reception into my parking space that the hotel charge £5 for. Only to get wake up phone call at 9am whilst fast asleep the next morning telling me to move the car immediately!!!!!

We got given room 6 right next to reception which is extremely noisy and lacks privacy as u can hear every word from reception and they can here every word you say.

That however was the least of our problems as the room was stone cold as radiator in room was broken after immediately reporting fault to reception the gentleman came into our room and confirmed our problem with a rant of foul language and then informing us that there was nothing he could do ( well words to that effect in his colourful vocabulary in front of my wife)
If I used language like that in front of my customers I would be facing immediate dismissal.

Moving on to our other problems. Tv was all disconnected and only one light in our room was working.

After speaking to another gentleman on reception in the morning and asking to speak to the manager I was informed that it is not possible to speak to the manager and I couldn't have any contact detail for him to pass on my concerns.
We then went down stairs to enjoy breakfast before leaving only to discover human hair on our toast.
I will never be staying at the Newton hotel again absolutely shocking customer service & nobody willing to take responsibility for the running of the hotel.
My advice to you
DON'T STAY

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Dale2881
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had read some reviews - but left a message with the hotel on booking ... We will give you a chance to prove them all wrong ..... requested a quiet room .....

When the hotel was originally completed, it was to a fairly good standard. Shame the maintenance and cleaning has not reached that standard.

The bathroom in our room was bad – poor tiling; no shelf space for toiletries; inside shower cubical was disgusting – between shower cubical & the wall had NEVER been cleaned in years; heated towel rail leaked; no hot water on the Friday evening; loo seat did not fit over the loo basin.

Bedroom – small TV; odd cups/glasses; edges of the carpet were (or looked) dirty; 2 over sized chairs in the room = unable to walk along the side of the bed; wardrobe was in the wrong place for the room – taking away any natural light & floor space; curtains were hanging off on one side; net curtain only just fitted across the window; bed creaked a lot; spot lights in a ceiling that was 15 ft. high = bad lighting.

View from the window was REALLY BAD – had been warned from reception that the view was not great …. UNDERSTATEMENT, dirty commercial bins; piles of rubbish directly outside the window
Found to be very noisy – need for better soundproofing from with-in from other guests rooms (talking / shouting / footsteps / TV); noise from other buildings air conditioned units; restaurants changing beer barrels & empting bins.

Cleanliness – should be checked by management EVERY day.
Plus side the staff were very helpful & polite; location good for the bars/clubs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Messagetoothers
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had a room for three for Friday and Saturday night, which was a bit noisy due to being at the front, but bed was very comfortable so slept ok. room was a good size with good facilities and seemed clean.

There was quite a strong smell in the corridor which wasn't very pleasant, but fortunately didn't follow us into the room.

We had a few questions and things we needed during the stay, the staff were very helpful and attended to us straight away.

We had breakfast on one morning which was very reasonable and quickly served.

Great location and great for a cheaper hotel. Would recommend it to travellers who aren't overly fussy.

Room Tip: get a room at the back if you are disturbed by people coming out of clubs!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I walked in looking for a room at late notice and was rudely shocked when she wanted £90 pound to stay the night. As I turned to walk away it quickly became £70 which was a bit better. This hotel is worth £50 a night. Tops. I had a room on the lower level below street level and could hear everything all night. When I asked reception about some things to do in and around glasgow I was offered what I can only assume was his friends bootleg whisky which I politely declined. There are better hotels around for less money

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We booked at last minute and were shown to our room , which raised alarm bells as it was literally backing onto reception. The walls are thin and there is no noise insulation, so we could hear every word said in the lobby. Unfortunately, people were arriving back from pubs too, so were quite loud! It felt as if reception were right there in the room and you could literally hear them shuffling paper.
I asked if we could change rooms and was asked why. When I explained, the (pretty unfriendly) night porter said that there was nothing he could do.
Other than that, the room was clean, the breakfast was ok.
Overall the experience felt very budget.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 5 - if you are offered it - turn around and leave, pay more for a better hotel r...
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great location for Kings Theatre! Staff were friendly and helpful, nice bedroom and shower.
A bit noisy being so close to the main street and nightclub but we still slept alright.
Downside was the cooked breakfast, go for the continental. Reasonably priced rooms
But £20 dearer on this particular night.