“Small issues but OK stay”

38 Bath Street Serviced Apartments
Ranked #33 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Glasgow
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Small issues but OK stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Was very concerned about the reservation due to the bad reviews so I contacted the reservations team expressing my concerns (mainly about cleanliness!). The reservations manager, Oliver, was very nice and assured me the room would be double checked prior to check in he was very helpful on other matters too.

We had a one bed apartment which was huge! All the appliances worked apart from the remote control for the Tv and the freezer was switched off/broken. We didn't need the freezer but it was quite smelly when i opened it. The bedding and towels were clean. The kitchen was well equipped with saucepans and everything you would need if preparing proper meals .

The apartment was tidy but there were some hairs in the bath tub and a stale smell of cigarretts this wasn't a huge issue as we were out a lot but isn't ideal. The main downfall for this place is the lack of customer service, we saw a man very late at night when coming in from night outs and that was it. We had one bar of soap and half a used toilette roll, there was no one to ask for replacements.

Overall I would want to stay here again but the cleanliness puts me off. There was nothing extreme but I don't like to see or smell remains from previous guests, the rooms need a good deep clean and a bit of TLC (some wall paper coming off the wall etc). Its a shame as the size and appliances offer very good value for money and the location is great! There are a lot of nice bars on Bath street and it takes minutes to get into the center of town and the Merchant City.

The apartment could easily rank very highly but the simple things are letting it down.

Room Tip: Request an apartment looking on to Bath Street, our room looked into offices and a roof , wasn't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at these apartments for 2 nights and the apartments did not disappoint, very modern and clean. no problem checking in, the location was perfect right in the centre of the city. we highly recommend staying here and we will definitely be returning on our next visit to Glasgow, also would not agree with any of the bad reviews made about these apartments.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chelsi f
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Me and my partner stayed at the max serviced apartments for one night. This was the email I had to send to complain about the place .you wouldn't believe what we found.

I stayed in the max serviced apartments on bath Glasgow yesterday 4/07/13. The apartments are beautiful however there was a few things I would like to bring to your attention that would put me and my partner off ever staying again. When we arrived we went to put our shopping in the fridge which was strongly smelling of what I could only describe as urine. I then realised that there was another fridge in the apartment so really the old one should not still be there smelling that bad. I then discover there was no toilet roll so I went searching in drawers for toilet roll incase it had been put somewhere other than the bathroom. Then to much disgust I then found a vibrator in my bedside drawer. I thought it couldn't get any worse until I got into bed at night to find a pair of ladies pants. It is very obvious that our apartment had not been cleaned to the luxury standard that you describe on your website. I would hope that you would consider some kind of refund to myself and partner to compensate for what we were subjected to throughout our stay.
I received an email back from hotels.com who I booked with offering me £20 discount for my next booking with them but that unfortunately the manager of max serviced apartments MR frank was unwilling to offer any kind of compensation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jennifer B
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Can I start by saying that during my stay, I saw no evidence that the apartments had been serviced other than a bag of trash (which smelled revolting) in the elevator.

Check in was a bit of a nightmare, I had travelled with 4 friends and we had just come off a 3.5 hour bus journey and had to go to the apartment quickly to get ready for the concert we'd come down to Glasgow for. After about 20 minutes, my friend who had booked the apartments had managed to finally speak to a real human being who told her "the door code is on your e-mail confirmation", it wasn't. After a further 10 minutes standing outside in the rain, we got in to the building. Then ah, no one at reception desk. Shock. Stay on the phone to the guy from MAX Serviced Apartments, tells us our keys are in the safe in an envelope on the wall, we could have easily taken other keys and gone into another room if we wanted. Alas, we carried on up the stairs with our luggage and opened our door to our apartment. First impressions were very good, the room looked clean, modern and stylish. Until I discovered the last guests remnants in the en suite toilet, the light hanging out of its fitting from the ceiling above the bed, the cooker didn't work, the lack of glasses/cups/cutlery and the Sahara Desert like heat which accommodated the apartment, eventually we found out to turn off the heating but it didn't cool down for about 5 hours as we couldn't open any windows, I appreciate that most high buildings have a window opening restriction but where was the need to have the heating up to 50 degrees celsius.
We had booked a 2 bedroom hotel and asked if for the first night we could sleep 5 people in the apartment, we were told this would not be a problem, but on arrival discovered there was no twin bed/Z-Bed set up, and only enough towels for 4 people.

The bed was super comfortable and had a great nights sleep both nights, the location is amazing and right in the city centre.

Unfortunately though, due to the lack of maintenance, incompetency and staff present, I will not return, and I am in Glasgow at least 6 times a year. Disappointed.

Piss: if any of the staff of the apartments read this, I am the one who left a note on a flyer on the front desk that read "GET MORE FULL-TIME STAFF, PLZ."

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank christyannand
Dumfries, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Other reviewers have commented about the poor check in arrangements,, but things were OK for us as we had received the keypad code by email the day before. However, it was sheer luck that we did not have our booking cancelled without us knowing.. I had booked several months ago, and the credit card I had used had since expired and I had a new one. I was away on business for a few days last week, and it was just by chance that I had checked my voicemail messages to hear a message from Max apartments telling me that if I did not contact them by 5.30 pm that evening they would cancel my reservation as my credit card had expired since the time of making my booking. ( it was 5.15pm that I received the message).This does not seem to be a very sensible way of doing business and could have caused me a huge problem as there was a big concert going on in Glasgow that week and no way of us getting alternative accommodation at short notice.
On arrival, the entrance hallway smelt "foosty" and there were bin bags of rubbish lying in the corridor. All in all, not a great first impression. The reality of our apartment was nothing near the impression they give on their website. we stayed for 2 nights in a 2 bed apartment on the 4th floor, and on the surface it was OK with nice looking furnishings etc. However, the apartment was in serious need of attention ,and a bit of time and basic maintenance would make a big difference.. The carpets are dirty, there were several light bulbs not working, a light fitting was hanging from the ceiling in the bedroom, one of the blinds in the sitting room was broken and hardly any of the kitchen cupboards shut properly.
On a positive note, the beds were clean and comfortable, which is always the most important thing for me. The location is brilliant, very close to shops, restaurants, bars and only a few minutes walk for bus and train station.
All in all, this accommodation is OK, but has potential to be so much better with a bit of basic housekeeping and maintenance. Would not choose to stay here again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Girlsnana
east grinstead
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

just poor value. No staff not cleaned properly. Someone had smoked in the room. Just felt very dated and not what I felt I had paid for. Would not recommend or ever stay here again.no one available to check you in or out no security no desk staff. Possibly 9-5 but no good if you are working.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank gunterkh
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My partner book the apartments for us for a weekend break in the City through laterooms.com.
We have stayed in a number of self serviced apartments over the years and this has to be the least organised apartments ever!

We arrived a 7.30pm and couldn't get in the building. There was clearly no one at reception although MAX apartments state on their website that the reception in open until 10pm. We dialled the number on the door and it was not working! We tried another number on the max serviced apartments website and it was an answer machine.

Finally after about 30 minutes two guests came out and gave us the code to get back in later!
At the reception there was a mobile number you could call for out of hours and emergencies. You had to leave a message for them to get back to you.....no one ever did!!!

Our key was in a safe so we needed the code to get in. After 3 calls from myself and 2 calls from my partner we were on the verge of giving up and going home - another nice guest past who knew the code for the safe and got us our key!!

We were dreading what we were going into....The lift carpet was filthy and had obvious spilt drinks all over it!

The door to the apartment had one deadlock bolt - not to sure about the security of that!!!

The apartment it'self was lovely and modern - a bit too hot - I don't think there was a need for the heating to be on so high but not overly an issue and we found where to switch it off....but on waking on Saturday - we found out maybe why the heating was on - one of the windows in the sitting area couldn't close properly and the blind was blowing in...on closer inspection - I think the window needs to be fixed properly - for health and safety reasons!

As I said the place was modern - a bit dusty in the bedroom on the dark furniture but it's a shame to see the money spent on the place has beed defaced by people who have been staying there previously!

There had been a dvd player on a shelf below the tv - broken off! The kettle lid was broken! Light bulbs needed replaced. And I had tried to hoover up some crumbs - there was no fuse in the hoover!!!

We had no water on Saturday morning and no hot water Sunday!!!

Someone else mentioned that the rubbish mounts up in the corridors at the weekend - this was something I noted also!!

Also, when you looked out the bedroom window - you could see someone had been having a bit of a rock and roll party - pictures and chairs from the rooms smashed below!!!

Not somewhere I'd stay again.

Room Tip: With the apartments being in the city centre it would be hard to find a quiet room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple