“All considered, it's a winner.”
Review of The Georgian House

The Georgian House
Ranked #31 of 35 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It's on the Great Western Road, 100 yards or less from the Botanic Gardens. Tube station and buses (and taxis) all over. Shops and takeaways nearby, including a 24 hour minimarket. So locationwise, it's great.

I was travelling by motorbike and arrived much earlier than the 4 p.m. check-in time. First impressions; this is one of those lovely old houses that Glasgow seems full of. Once upon a time it would have been a house of great elegance. I'd seen from the website and booking confirmation that car parking off the street was available, but limited, and wanted to get my bike in there for safety. Being a terraced house, the only real possibility for a car park was at the back of the house, soon found down a narrow, cobbled street. So I parked up and settled back for a wait of about an hour. After a few minutes, someone opened the back door and asked if he could help me - code, of course, for what are you doing in my car park? I explained I was waiting to check in and he invited me to book in there and then, despite being early.

What a nice guy he is. Helpful, cheery, amusing, loads of information about local facilities, pointing out the kitchen where guests can keep beer / wine in the fridge, heat up food and so on. Breakfast is from 0800hr so I explained I intended to be away by about 0630; he immediately offered to provide fruit, bread, filled rolls or whatever so I could have something before I left. We settled on ham and cheese rolls, duly left, with fruit, in the room while I was out during the evening.

The large, square, high-ceilinged rooms of the original house have been split to form smaller bedrooms. Mine was a single room (Room 2) and yes, it's basic, and yes, the bathroom's a bit tired, but it's clean and functional. The window looking out to Gt Western Road must be about 9 feet high and 4 feet wide; it's single-glazed and a sash window, so as another commentator has noted, it can be noisy. It's helped though by having the original (or original-ish) pitch-pine shutters which can be closed to block light and (some) sound. I have some custom made ear plugs for use on the bike (about £55 and miraculously effective) so noise wasn't an issue.

Regular hotel users should definitely have these. Best £55 I ever spent and great for sorting out noise from traffic, kids, inconsiderate drunks wandering along hotel corridors at 2 in the morning, and noisy people in rooms adjoining.

The bed was comfortable albeit a bit creaky and the sheets and pillow cases spotlessly laundered.

So, what's not to like? Let's see:

>>Friendly, helpful welcome and a load of information (if all Scottish hotels did welcomes like this a good many tourists' complaints would evaporate).

>>A basic, and tired, building but one that's clean, functional and even attractive, AND has car parking.

>>No hassle if you want to bring in your own food and drink, and facilities provided to make it easier.

>>Excellent wifi internet at no additional charge.

>>Great location. Easily found from the motorway, and easy to get back on the m-way again. At the junction of Gt WR and Byers Road - shopping and restaurant heaven for food and drink and just about everything else. You can be in Glasgow centre in 10 minutes, if you want to be (why?)

>>And the bill was £39.

Yup, I'd go back no problem.

(Bikers - beware of the rich variety of sloped surfaces as you manoeuvre your pride and joy into the gravelled car park. Once in, it's not too bad - the gravel's compacted quite well but there are a couple of areas where it could be expensive falling-over time without great care).

Room Tip: Back of the house may be quieter; the Glasgow Council street sweeping truck goes down GWR at about 0...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had an extremely comfortable stay at the Georgian House. My room and en-suite bathroom were large with everything I could need. When I first booked on line I received a phone call from the manager as I had stated I had to follow a gluten free diet and at breakfast time a bowl of fresh fruit was delivered to my room - which illustrated the excellent customer service I received.

The view from my room was lovely as it overlooked the botanic garden. The accommodation has stairs and no lift but this is a similar situation in many Glasgow hotels. The building is a grand old building with a real sense of history and if there are areas that are a bit 'tired' that is only to be expected in a building of this age.

The price I paid for my room and breakfast was extremely good value and I would be very happy to book again.

Room Tip: Room no 4 had the least stairs to climb and is large and airy
Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Carolynn C
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was booked by my office, which can be a bit of a lottery but in this instance I came up trumps!

I was met by Gordon who showed me to my room as well as kindly telling me where I could find shops, a place to eat and a free place to park (as my vehicle would not have fitted in the property's free parking.

The Wifi worked, as did all the other facilities and I was aware that he was helping some other guests whilst I was there (something about Krakatoa not erupting, if I recall) so I struggle to understand some of the comments made by other guests. True, it's an old property, but if you want soulless plastic windows, maybe a chain would be more your style? I slept without waking (but that's probably due to having a pure mind).

In addition, the breakfast is ample, clean and fresh and I was offered as much as I wanted. There is also a rather friendly cat there, Smokey, who is probably actually running the place...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Hotel is OK for the price - quite nice decor, and great location. If you do book though, please ask for a room at the back as the ones at the front are extremely noisy, being on Great Western Road - one of the busiest roads in Glasgow, and there is no double or secondary glazing. I had put a review on Booking.com as I had asked for a quiet room but had booked at short notice, and when I arrived - there weren't any quiet rooms. The person who responded on this website was very sarcastic saying "You booked the day before and Surprise Surprise... there were no quiet rooms left. We suggest you book in advance in future!" No need for sarcasm like that considering I didn't even get one hours sleep, and quite often it is not possible to book in advance. I am trying to give a fair review here. I imagine I am not the only one to complain about the noise.

Room Tip: Have put average value due to the noise of the front facing rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Worst hotel and service I have ever experienced in my entire life. Arrived early to be told to move our car from the present position as the receptionist (Basil Fawlty's twin) parked there. Got in at 16.00 to be told the owner was trying to sell and had lost interest and should have ran then but decided to make the best of a bad lot and boy was the room a bad lot. West End of Glasgow was right as were nearly sleeping in the street. Asked for a move to be told they were full and that was his best joke of the day. Still being the eternal optimist stayed for two hours and left.
Think Basil and the no longer interested own we must have written the reviews
Sum up in a word and can only think of one

DUMP

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank John L
georgianhouse1000, Manager at The Georgian House, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Sadly this couple were not the normal standard of guest we have at The Georgian House(Thank goodness).
They did not complain about any item when checking in even when asked there was a problem.They asked for another room but only on the pretense of some made up illness.They had booked at the last moment so there was no alternative. Could this be why the room cost so little.

This complaint i assume started when they were asked to stop swearing. They also had an attitude and extremly rough appearance and smelled strongly of alcohol (i hope i am building a picture here).These guests also left a strange odor in the room that i am sure could be helped with soap and water.
All in all i am sure potential guests will understand the type of personality that these guests had. How glad we are they will not be returning.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Spent 5 nights here,great service, great location, lovely self contained room, what really stands out for me is the extremely friendly Gordon. Cheap rates too and I really couldn't ask for more! Parking is at the rear of the hotel, easy to find location with lots of places to eat and drink within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
georgianhouse1000, Manager at The Georgian House, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments, Hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was our very first night of a tour of Scotland with our little border collie, Megan. We were horribly late because of train delays but this was no problem at all for Gordon. He really was the most wonderful warm welcome we were looking for on our arrival late night in mid-winter Glasgow. Despite the time, he took us through all our options for things to do that night, with good local knowledge of where we could find dog-friendly establishments locally. Nothing was too much trouble and we really felt like we were staying with friends. The room was warm and comfortable and specially selected for us so that we could nip out the back door when Meg needed to go out. Good value and great location, a stone's throw from some very cool nightspots in the West End. We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple