“Speedy Service, great attention to detail”

yen at the rotunda glasgow
Ranked #1,415 of 2,473 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Went to this restaurant with 3 friends before attending a concert at the SSE Hydro (which is across the road). Very busy car park, and just managed to get a space.

The restaurant itself is large and was packed on the evening of our visit. We all chose the pre-theatre menu, and were surprised by the range of food on offer - there were plenty of choices that we all liked, even for the fussy eaters amongst us.

The service was very quick - just what we wanted for a pre-concert meal. From sitting down to starting our first course, it was barely 10 minutes. The main meals were around 20 minutes after that. If this was a romantic meal, then the service would have been too rushed, but for the purpose of a meal before a concert, spot on. The food was hot, portions were a good size.

The restaurant was geared, certainly at the time of our visit, to providing a fast service specifically for concert goers. I can't comment on what service would be like on a non-concert night or during the day.

One small but great touch - the background music was from the artists that was performing at the SSE Hydro. Apparently they do this for all meals where there's a performance next door (and I'm sure that the SECC and Armadillo).

I certainly will be back next time I'm attending a concert.

1  Thank HighlandExile47
Christina372, Manager at yen at the rotunda glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal with us and that you liked the fact that as far as possible we feature music from the artists playing at the nearby venues, we feel that this is an integral part of making a memorable evening.
I hope that we are able to welcome you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for yen at the rotunda glasgow

Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Visited Yen prior to attending concert at the Hydro, booked table three days prior and we were looking forward to it all week as menu looked appealing. Service was good, food was served quicker than expected considering how busy it was (which is good, as concert was two hours away). This was all let down by the special curry and even more so by the price. I have honestly had better tasting curries from pre packed supermarket products. For £14 I was expecting a decent sized portion of a good quality curry, what we got was the exact opposite. As my wife and I chose the same dish it would appear they were cooked in the same pan, problem is the chef couldn't evenly divide from here, I ended up with one piece of chicken and a few prawns, my wife had the remainder in her dish. Starters and deserts were fine, just experience let down by overpriced excuse for a curry.

Thank you for your review, however I'm sorry you were disappointed with one of the dishes. I have passed your comments on to the chefs, as our team always enjoy receiving feedback, good and bad. I am pleased that you found the service and the rest of your meal to your satisfaction and I hope you will return. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

After being once before and enjoying it we returned. Oh dear what a completely different experience.
Staff very pushy at wanting us to order, a group 6 girls we like a good chat, so much so they started putting our napkins on our laps just to get us to order!
Starters were nice however same could not be said for the mains.3 of the girls ordered crisp shredded chicken after the table agreeing, me exempt being a vegetarian, that it was just batter, one of the girls got one of the waiters to complain, seeing as no one did a courtesy check. They ordered knew mains but the excuse given for the poor "crispy chicken" was if they made the battery thicker they couldn't get it crispy.
When the bill came we did expect the customary service charge seeing as we were a table of 6 but due to the above I asked for a gesture of good will under the circumstances of 3 of the dishes having to be returned but nice the manager told the waiter to tell us they replaced the mains and had not charged for that, we'll we obviously weren't going to pay for something they didn't like and worse still they said it was down to "personal preferences " well I'm sorry but if 5 people are telling you the same thing I doubt you can call it that. I would of been happy for the service charge to be halved from just over 12 pounds to six but no!
I would recommend going to China Sea in town its cheaper and you get better service!

1  Thank LuLuJugzW

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you were not happy with the service charge being applied to your bill but we add a service charge to tables of six upwards. The crispy shredded chicken dish is a very popular one, however I am aware that not everyone enjoys the same food and once the complaint was made we replaced it immediately. I am sorry that you felt this was not adequate and I can only apologise once again.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

this place is really handy for the Hydro and SECC .It is your typical chinese restaurant "here's your drink here's your food "now go .. The food tasted ok but was cold . !! so no return visit for us

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback after dining at Yen. I am disappointed to learn that everything was not up to standard and I have passed your comments on to the entire team, so thank you for that. I do hope that you change your mind and come back again.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Enjoyed food here twice in one week. On both occasions food and service were excellent. Friendly and efficient waiting staff. Provided accurate advice on dishes we were were not familiar with. Quality of food was really good ad portions were plentiful. Excellent value for money.

We are delighted that you had another enjoyable dinner, thank you for the really lovely feedback and we hope to see you in the not too distant future.