“You get what you pay for....”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Clifton Hotel

Clifton Hotel
Ranked #75 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Bear in mind this is a 3 star Guest House so adequate is the word, but the room was tatty with repairs not repainted, windows needing painted, shower curtain held up with tape, window curtains needing washed. The car park is difficult to access and only takes six cars.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing on to Great Western Rd which is noisy - no double glazing.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

This hotel was booked as a stop off in glasgow, plus point one, i was allowed a late check in of 10.30pm, not always allowed elsewhere, was shown to my single ensuite room, pleasantly surprised, the ensuite bathroom was a highlight, it was decked out in black floor tiles which contrasted nicely with the white full tiled walls, one minus point the shower head was leaking, the room was adequately sized with a comfortable bed with clean linen and four comfortable pillows, tea and coffee making facilities to suit. i had a comfortable sleep.
Breakfast was just perfect, various cereal to start, full Scottish breakfast which was hot and not sparse in any way.
I totally recommend this hotel as the one to stay in Scotland and I will be back.

Room Tip: single ensuite
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rickyrico
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is my second time here. I stayed here in room no 10a.Small double room. Excellent room everything i need is here People very good Staff excellent no complaints at all. Im coming back in May to finish my training ay Gartnaval Hospital. I recommend this to all travellers to the city, very good hotel. goerge

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Oban, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Well, I booked a romantic getaway for my husband and I , with a lovely 4 poster bed. On arrival receptionist was very polite and helpful. Entrance rather dated, but great location for the West end. The room, well ......whilst looking for the hair dryer (which was not found) my husband found a newspaper over 3 months Old with a half drunk bottle of juice and crisps in the bedside cabinet. The tv was hanging off the wall, and was connected to an extension cable half way across the room. The mirror was filthy, it was disgusting. The bathroom was not for the feint hearted. The toilet was lopsided, there was a plastic box under the pipe to collect drips, the cold water tap worked intermittently, the taps were just awful. The shower curtain had seen better days and well, so had the shower, when it worked. None of the electrical equipment seemed to have current pat testing and a picture in the corridor had broken glass . The doorway above reception had several inches of dust which was noticeable to all guests walking down the stairs. When we returned later in the day we couldn't get into our room, as the Yale lock had double locked itself from the inside. The man from reception forced it open with his shoulder and said he would get the repair man in. I have stayed in many hotels and have never had such a bad experience. This has to be the worst hotel we've ever stayed in. Breakfast was not much better, in fact it was rotten. I don't normally take much notice of reviews but I wish I had. Stay clear of this place unless you have a really good sense of humour.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank X0x0x0X0x0X
clifton2012, Manager at Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
good evening
I have just read the review that you have posted on tripadvisor i am truly sorry the room was not up to our normal standards, and I can only apologise to you . We are truly sorry for the way the room was. as the manager of the hotel i will have a good talk to the staff and try and get the rooms up to a better standard . On behalf of myself and the owner I do apologise once again
Regards Cathy
Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

I was visiting Glasgow on business, I always check the last reviews on trip advisor. I hesitantly booked after reading the last couple of reviews.
On arrival I found the staff to be absolutely excellent and very helpful, the girl on reception helped me to my room which was on the second floor and was very clean and lovely, unlike the last review I had read. The breakfast in the morning was as good as any 4 star hotel, The car park although very small was an extra bonus as was complementary and free.
I would recommend this hotel as I feel the last reviews were unfair, as a frequent traveller I have stayed in all types of hotels and would highly recommend the Clifton for price location and service.
Excellent place to stay

Room Tip: stayed in 5&6
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
clifton2012, Manager at Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments .We are pleased that you have enjoed your stay.
Hope to see you again.
Cathrine Gibson
Manager Clifton hotel
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Well where to begin we were due to stay at this hotel for on night last weekend for my birthday sat 7 dec. we arrived after finding their was no space to park the car in their car park we asked the reception if their was any other places around and the answer was yes but a good walk away. we opted to park the car outside the hotel and pay as we were tired from a long drive. we went to check in and the receptionist couldn't find are room key. after informing the manager a kea was found and we were shown to are room. Once we entered are room we discovered that the room was already i n use and their was somebody's things around the room. we went back to reception and informed them and nobody seemed to no why or who was staying in the room. in the time it took us to get back to reception their was anther family attempting to check in and the staff didn't not have a room for them after them providing conformation of their booking. it was shocking to find that all the staff there had no clue of anything that was happening in their hotel. luckily for us they had provided us with the WIFI code so in the all the confusion of the staff with all their overbooking problems i had managed to get online and book another hotel and asked for a refund which I am still waiting for. in short the hotel was smelly old and need updating, the staff were un trained and un professional and I would not recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chris s
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I booked the hotel as I was going to see a band at the hydro and wanted somewhere cheap and cheerful I always say I don't mind a hotel and feel comfortable as long as it’s clean and it certainly wasn't clean in the slightest. The room looked like they had changed the sheets and nothing else. The cleaners/last person to stay hadn't even flushed the toilet and the floor was so dirty I couldn’t bring myself to take my shoes off. There were coffee stains on the cabinets and even money lying about on the floor. I maybe would have understood that they didn’t have time to clean the room if we hadn’t arrived at 4:30 in the afternoon. An hour and a half after check in time.
When we arrived we parked outside and my partner nipped in to get directions to the car park (one of the main reasons we picked here apart from price) the women on reception told him and then asked if we were booked into the hotel he stated yes and gave our name to which she told us we hadn’t booked (I had already booked and paid a month before) she then found our name when we returned from the car and told us she had doubled booked us and she was going to get into trouble and was asking us what to do at this point if I had known the state of the room I would have said that we would take our money back and go elsewhere.
I had the worst sleep ever as the room was freezing and a sheet and thin duvet doesn’t make for a cosy night sleep.
The owner seemed nice though and let us park the car in their car park while we had a look around the botanic gardens which are next door, only thing is we wanted to get out of there so quickly we were in the gardens at 9am waiting for the greenhouses to open at 10am
All in all you definitely get what you pay for and next time I will not be booking a hotel without checking the reviews

• Stayed November 2013