“Not an experience to repeat”
Review of Belgrave Hotel

Belgrave Hotel
Ranked #93 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“Not an experience to repeat”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

First, the car park was difficult to find from the directions given; The final "second left" was a very narrow back lane that could be (and was) easily missed. The front door was locked when I arrived and eventually a pleasant enough woman appeared and opened it. At the tiny checkin window the next two surprises: notices informed me that the promised free internet access was not available and that credit cards would not be accepted. On arrival in my room I found that the TV did not work, there was no waste bin in the room or the bathroom and there was no soap, shampoo or shower gel, only a small handwash container by the washbasin. The room and bed were otherwise adequate. Breakfast was served in a small room at the back with a view from my table into a rather tatty-looking lean-to combination of kitchen, laundry room and store-room. The sausages appeared to consist mainly of sawdust and the bacon of cardboard, but the eggs were relatively freshly fried. There was one taciturn male member of staff on duty for both breakfast and checkout. He informed me that the credit card machine was not working because of "a problem with the internet", but when I informed him that a credit card was the only means of payment I had he muttered "I'll go and ask". On his return he took my credit card and put it into the machine which was working perfectly well! what was going on here? Did th management have some reason for wanting guests to pay cash? I booked a room here because the hotel I usually use in the West End of Glasgow was fully booked and the cost of a room was similar. I will not make that mistake again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MikeTCumbria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2012

A very warm welcome from this central Glasgow hotel. bed was comfortable, free wifi and digital tv. reasonably priced rooms for such a central location, free parking. well worth a visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Medicworldwide
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed for the Easter weekend as I was competing at the Scotstoun leisure centre. Greeted pleasantly by helpful Margret, I was quickly shown to my room. Which was clean, modern and well presented with a nice big shower. Breakfast was adequate and the breakfast man is helpful but could smile every now and then. My single room was above the main entrance and although you could here the traffic at night it wasn't too loud to disrupt my sleep. A computer in the room was a added bonus. There is also a few places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed here as we were attending a function at the nearby Hilton Grosvenor one Saturday evening. We selected it for its proximity to the Grosvenor (5 minute walk) and for the good reviews, onsite parking and friendly assistance when we called.

We were able to check-in early and were offered the triple room as no doubles were available. The room was fresh with a Large TV that we were able to watch in comfort before the function that evening.

The parking was a little awkward to get to - narrow cobble lane & tight turns, but an asset and worthwhile none the less!

Breakfast was self service and was freshly replenished regularly meaning you could pick what you wanted and it was a nicely furnished room with a TV to catch the news etc.

Margaret was very friendly and accommodating throughout our stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a budget hotel in the West End of Glasgow.

Room Tip: If you a re looking for a spacious room, the triple room has a large widescreen TV and 2singles can...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Stranmillis, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I stayed the one evening and chose this hotel due to it being close to the university. I had a lovely double room for just me, and the room was very nice. I had a selection of which towel I wanted to use, and the shower was massive. Bathroom was very modern and the whole experience was great. There was a piping hot radiator the whole time and the staff were very helpful in helping me find my way. Also paid only 35 for the evening!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Awkward to drive to, and awkward parking. Damp in the hall. We requested a packed breakfast as we had an early flight but were turned down. A huge tv screen in the breakast room, on with no-one watching. A surly non greeting from the breakfast man. Wonderful location but we wont be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank bartramn2

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed here for the weekend with my brother on a sight-seeing trip.
We arrived quite late in the evening andcould not find the hotel after being sent in entirely the wrong direction by the taxi driver. The lady from the hotel rang me on my mobile as she was worried about us and stayed on the phone to guide us in. Very welcome.
We stayed in room 11 - a twin room, newly refurbished and very clean and welcoming. The beds were actually on complete opposite sides of the room to each other which is a nice change from those twin rooms with literally six inches between beds!
The bathroom was very modern with a lovely power shower and there was also an iron and ironing board in the room which was a nice touch as usually you have to a for them.
Breakfast was served in the downstairs room; it was serve-yourself but very fresh as the landlord was constantly replenishing things so no food was left standing.
The hotel is ideally situated for Byres Road, the Botanic Gardens and \kelvingrove art gallery and the underground station into the city centre is literally five minutes walk. Also, buses into town go from directly opposite.
An excellent value hotel in a nice and convenient location. Would definitely stay here on future trips to Glasgow,

Room Tip: Would recommend Tennants Bar on Byres Road for a "proper" pub and we had an excellent ital...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family