“Not great”

Skinny's
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2014

After hearing some bad reviews I decided to buy an itison voucher to decide for myself. We arrived at 7.30 and there was only one other table in. I explained that I had a voucher and that I had meant to call ahead but it had slipped my mind. It was explained to me by the waiter that I should really have called ahead but that, on this occasion, that it was fine. Considering the place was empty I don't really understand why this even had to be thought about. We ordered drinks and one of the glasses had a big sharp chip at the top which we obviously sent back to be changed. Our friend was running a little bit late so we ordered a starter to share- the bean and cheese taquitos which were delicious. We then ordered 3 burgers with various toppings, some macaroni, onion rings and chips to share. The burgers were a bit dry and had a strange spiciness to them and the macaroni was bland and watery. The onion rings were lovely and the chips were nice too. We were really hungry so we ate everything and it wasn't awful but it just wasn't great considering it is meant to be a burger place- it also helped that it was really cheap because of the voucher and the 2 for 1 deal so we didn't complain. The waiter was friendly but the other woman, who i think was the manager, didn't acknowledge us once - even though we were the only people in the restaurant. She was wandering around wearing her jacket , clattering around with cleaning products and generally making us feel like she wanted us to leave so she could go home ( it was before 9pm at this point).

We decided that we were glad we gave it a chance so that we could decide for ourselves- but we won't be going back.

Skinnys G, Manager at Skinny's, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Hello katieallen92
Thank you for taking the time to review Skinny’s. We appreciate and take all feedback we get on board.
I’m so sorry you were served a glass with a chip in it, obviously this was a big mistake by your server and should never happen.
I’m glad your taquitos were delicious. Though I’m unhappy you were disappointed by the rest of your meal.
I’m sorry I didn’t say hello, as I was cleaning and organising our stock room and felt a little unpresentable. We are open until 11pm every evening, so no matter what behind-the-scenes jobs I’m up to, it would never be my intention to make our guests feel unwelcome.
Should you decide to pop in again we can restore your confidence in Skinny’s.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I wanted to take my daughter out for something to eat and decided to try somewhere 'different'...i had read good reviews and thought Skinny's was the place to go.

It is a cute wee place..i liked the seating and the lighting..the bar tenders were also nice...however the meal itself was disappointing..we did the 5pm deal with a burger, a side and a milkshake for a tenner...we shared a fries and had two burgers..they were huge chunks of meat..really peppery and spicey...certainly burned your mouth, which isn't what im looking for in a good burger!...we were not the only ones to ask for some iced water! ...obviously everyone to their own..:)...but certainly we didnt enjoy them...the milkshakes were also rather 'runny'..not thick creamy milkshakes, which is what we were hoping for :)...bottom line is we wouldnt go back :(

Skinnys G, Manager at Skinny's, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Hello Paulilne333
I’d like to start by thanking you for taking the time to leave us a review. I’m so sorry you found your meal a bit disappointing. I have given your feedback to our chef. As all of our batches of burgers are made fresh here, it is entirely possible the ingredients could have been a little on the peppery side. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Our milkshakes are made with two generous scoops of ice cream, and fresh milk, however if you prefer it to be made with only ice cream and double cream, we’re more than willing to do this to make it thicker.
If you do decide to visit us again, I’m sure you’ll see we take all comments made by our guests on board, and that we can restore your faith in Skinny’s.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Cosy place, modern decor, good music set the scene but the £9 for a burger that comes in a small bun, in a plastic basket with no sides was disappointing.

You have to buy your fries, or coleslaw separately, they don't even give you a side salad.

Ordered extra fries as we were still hungry and that never came then an Oreo sundae that didn't even come with any Oreos in it.
The toffee sundae that came was pretty yummy though.

I wouldn't bother with the burgers next time and just go for icecream and cocktails.

Skinnys G, Manager at Skinny's, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Hello LauraOH80
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We like take all our feedback on board.
I’m sorry you felt your burgers were overpriced. We think our 2 for 1 burger deal offers great value, as they are half of the £9 and we try to accommodate anyone eating alone that won’t see the benefit of this offer.
I’m glad you liked your ice cream and cocktails, and hope we can welcome you back in again sometime to enjoy some more.

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Tucked away on a quiet side street off great western road this restaurant would be easy to miss but I recommend making the effort to find it. Atmosphere is relaxed. Good music. The food is tasty n in good quantity (love the tender chicken starter). It's affordable (2-4-1 burgers all day every day) and the cocktails r mint!! Look forward to going back to try the brunch menu

Hi there CatE1981
Thank you for leaving us a review! I’m so glad you enjoyed your time with us at Skinny’s .
I think we’re a wee hidden gem, so it’s nice to hear you’d recommend people find us!
It’s always lovely when someone takes the time to leave a nice review, so we really appreciate it.
Please introduce yourself to us personally next time you come in!
Kind regards.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We ate at Skinny's on Otago Street on a Saturday and it was fairly quiet, but the staff were helpful and friendly. The food was excellent, especially if you like burgers!

Skinnys G, Manager at Skinny's, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Hi Mai H
Thank you for leaving us a review, I’m so glad you thought the food was excellent!
The team try our hardest to give top notch customer service, so it’s always nice when someone takes the time to tell us when they’ve enjoyed their experience in Skinny’s.
Hope we can welcome you in again soon