“tasty and original”

Bread Meats Bread
Ranked #77 of 2,568 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Award Winning Gourmet Burgers, Sandwiches and Poutine. Local Family- Owned Restaurant using Ethical, Scottish produce.
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Do not go if you are vegetarian there is nothing here for you! The food was very tasty, quick and friendly service, clean restaurants and stylish toilets. A relatively small menu but packed with meet in a bun as the name suggests. Definitely a different and original menu with its own dressings. No alcohol licence so BYOB or stick to soft drinks.
Would recommend and visit again

Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This was my second visit over the last few months. The first visit was decent enough, but very close to their opening date so I wanted to give it another try when things had settled.

As with my first visit the quality of the burger was great. I had a Black and Blue, from the Black Label section. Great flavour, very tasty although it could have done with a little bit of heat for me, and unfortunately they don't seem to have any hot sauce on hand.

The Sweet Potato Fries however, were something else entirely. I've had them before from other places and always enjoyed them, but these were terrible. It was like they had scraped up all the odds and ends from the bottom of the fryer and dumped them in a bowl. Not good whatsoever.

That aside the burger was pretty good and I'd probably return if I wanted a good burger quickly.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

me and my husband recently went to bread meats bread in glasgow and i totally enjoyed my experience. the decor was very modern and very pleasant to sit and enjoy your meal, me and my husband ordered chips and burger. they were lovely and very filling. there was one staff member who went round and asked everyone if everything was fine and she had a lovely manner. would recommend this place and i will be visiting again.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Visited with the family today - kids had Chicago hot dogs and we had burgers. Side orders of sweet potato chips and poutine. I have a lot of burger-eating experience in the US and am usually frustrated by the British attempts - too many over-substantial buns and over-cooked patties. Not here! The brioche bun has just the right consistency, so perfect bun to meat ratio is achieved. Fries also excellent, poutine (French-Canadian version of chips, cheese and gravy) very tasty and kids wolfed down their hot dogs. Would definitely go back when next in town.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have eaten in Bread Meats Bread a few times now, the last time being today. It is one of those venues conveniently located between my hairdresser, the shops, my work, and my boyfriends flat, so all routes seem to cross their door step and I inevitably find myself going in and ordering the same thing each time.

With thousands of places to eat in Glasgow, and a certain self confessed snobbery about trying new places and new dishes, I found myself asking why I continue to add to my slowly-but-surely increasing festive weight with Bread Meats Bread?

My answer is simple, going to Bread Meats Bread is like being in a Dorito's advert.
For anyone wondering what I am on about, think back about 8 years when the standard Dorito's advert was filled with good looking 20-30 somethings with wonderful living room's and pristine white sofa's hosting their well dressed friends who casually happen to all get together and eat Dorito's next to a log fire and a flat screen on a Friday night. It is what we would all like to think our social life is like, except in this day in age, I defy anyone to have a full group of friends free of work and family commitments on a Friday night, and if you are able to stay in, swap out the Zara knitwear for a Primark Onsie. Being in this place makes you feel like you are in the owner's kitchen or the Head Chef's living room, sat at his table, being served up his food, it's like popping in to see an old friend, even if you have never met him before.

I have visited about six times now, and each time the staff are the same, so I don't know if they ever sleep but they are always smiling. It is an open kitchen, visible from all angles and even the street due to a full 50% of its walls being floor to ceiling glass windows, and although in this day and age it seems to be very standard to have an open kitchen, almost expected, it does have the air of Bread Meats Bread being as proud of how they cook their produce as they are the end product, rather than conforming to the usual set up.

For a place as open to the street as this one is, it is distinctively homely. These 6 staff who seem to work day in, day out, get to know you, get to know where you like to sit, get to know what you like, what you have tried, and what new concoctions can be made from the menu. While they do not have chicken burgers, the one time I varied from my usual Cheese and Bacon burger, I tried the above but with the pulled chicken instead of a beef patty. Delicious.

Some of the burgers on the menu are absolutely massive. For a girl this could be quite off-putting but as I stick to quite a boring combination in the grand scheme of their varied menu, it works out just fine for me. Their sweet potato chips are to die for. And make sure you ask for extra sauce.

The other thing I like about this place, is their table spacing. They have managed to cram in a lot of little tables and booths to a very small space, so it actually feels like a diner and not a take away counter with a couple of tables as an after thought, but well spaced enough to not feel like you are listening in on the domestic one table over. This may seem like a random comment but as a self confessed eating-out-aholic, you would be surprised how many times I sat through an impending divorce.

I don't know if they have their alcohol licence yet, but you can BYOB. I have only ever eaten at lunch time so not asked for a drink as of yet, but with the £1 or £2 corkage I noticed on another review, what's not to like about a bottle of prosecco after work for essentially £7? I'll need to make sure I think of that next time...

So, all in all, yes yes yes to Bread Meats Bread. These days good food can be completely counteracted with good service, so to have a wee place like this offer up the full package is delightful. This freight train of burger loving in the city shows no sign of stopping any time soon, with places popping up here there and everywhere, but as my Italian boyfriend pointed out today, you don't seen Bella Italia, Viva Italia, Bella Pizza or Pizza Italia complaining or whining about it, and if there is one thing Italians know how to do, its good food. So just sit back, loosen your belt buckle, and give in to their brioche buns dripping in calories. Because no-one died wishing they spend more time eating salad....

1  Thank MY1001