“Not up to expectations” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Plum Tree - CLOSED

The Plum Tree
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Deaconsbank, Glasgow
“Not up to expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I visited the Plum Tree, possibly at it's busiest day of the year.........the Merchant City Festival.............so perhaps this review is slightly unkind.

We booked the steak dinner deal for a late lunch. 2 mains plus a bottle of wine for £25, so not a lot paid, but the earlier reviews had us hoping for more than was delivered.

We got a couple of starters, olives and humous. Absolutely fantastic, the large green olives stuffed with little garlic bulbs, and the lemon flavoured humous as good as you will get in the Med.

The house wine, Sav Blanc, was reasonable but nothing special, but anticipation of our steaks (cooked medium) after having sampled excellent starters was making our mouths water.
The presentation was lovely, the potatoes (roasted) the tomato (lightly grilled) and the bit of mushroom were very nice. DRUMROLL............................................the steak, dry, fatty, overly salted, must have been placed in the pan at the time of ordering. The quality of the meat was not the best. If the restaurant could up the price to £35 and give a better cut of beef, it would compliment a lots of great local produce in this bistro.
The accompanying peppercorn sauce was missing peppercorns too, but not unpleasant.

It was a warm afternoon. The AC was on full blast, and the fans spinning merrily, but with the door opened it meant their effect was negligible. We sweated................a lot!

Staff were worked off their feet, but very attentive and pleasant. I think we caught this place on a bad day, and unfortunately we wont be back, not for dinner at least.

Great location. Almost at Candleriggs, but the bistro is a little confused. I am not sure what it's identity is meant to be. Cafe/Bistro? Yes, but please no more steak dinners.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Joanne T, Owner at The Plum Tree, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to hear that despite the other aspects of your meal being very good that your steak was not up to standard.

You are right, The Merchant City Festival is our busiest time of the year and I am delighted that regardless of the additional pressure this creates, our staff were attentive and you were well looked after.

This doesn't affect the quality of the steak you were served however, and as we only buy good quality Rib Eye steak I'm disappointed to hear it was not of the standard you or we would expect.

I do hope that you will visit the Plum Tree again and if you decide to, please email me on jo@theplumtree.uk.com beforehand so I can apologise to you personally for your less than perfect experience.

Kindest Regards
Jo

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Light dinner with colleague”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Yes, it was time for our regular socialising over dinner. We had tried to dine here before under it's old name without success due to the short opening hours. Well, now it's changed to The Plum Tree (was Berits & Brown) it's open until 8:00pm mid-week.

The whole place was very welcoming and relaxing. The food was simply wonderful. Freshly prepared, and very tasty. Being a deli / restaurant it does major on salad style dishes, and it has to said does them very well. I had a glass of the house red, which one very much to my liking and one of the best house reds I can recall.

It's a little different, and although it might have less choice around what you might expect by way of main courses, all the food was freshly prepared and very enjoyable. Certainly didn't leave hungry that's for sure. So in conclusion, I'll have to agree with the previous reviews calling this a 'wee gem'.

Visited July 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“perfect place to catch up with friends. a delicious, laid-back delight :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Not long discovered this wee gem and I have already been twice! This is a lovely wee place whether you're looking for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a coffee/cake or swiss ice cream :) Great quality food and attentive, jolly staff. It has a really laid back atmosphere, a delight to dine here. I will definitely be returning again and again. They even play vinyl and allow customers to make selections. I've noticed they have wine/burger nights. 5pm are running some fantastic deals just now - a fondue sharer for 2 or delicious steaks and wine. They also sell a range of teas and other produce. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. I'm sure this place will do really well and it deserves to. Saying that I hope it doesn't become too busy!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank kirsty m
Joanne T, Owner at The Plum Tree, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback - absolutely delighted to hear you've had such a good experience at the Plum Tree and appreciate you taking the time to share this with other.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Found this little gem in the merchant city, the food is freshly made on site and the taste and quality is amazing.
There is an large choice of craft beers and wines to accompany your meal,
The welcome was warm and helpful and the food simply delicious
You can even choose your favourite tunes from the vinyl collection to play whilst you eat!!!
Magnificent.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Mike B
“What a discovery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

How lucky we were to come across this restaurant considering the number of restaurants in this area of Glasgow. The service was top class, and the food just as good, with myself and 3 friends sharing the platter for 2, as recommended by the waitress who also advised that the platter would be plentiful for the 4 of us. She was absolutely right, the platter consisted of Scottish sourced cheeses, pates, chutneys, olives, sundried tomatoes, toast and oatcakes. Along with the wine this was an excellent experience, offering very good value for money. I would definitely return to The Plum Tree the next time I am visiting Glasgow and would thoroughly recommend it.

Visited July 2013