“ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES”

Ranked #33 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Booked through Hotels.com who failed to tell us to pick up the room key from a nearby office.

Check in time was 3pm and we arrived then and found that there was no one around at all. The concierge window was closed and there was nowhere to get our key.

After searching the building, we phoned the numbers for the building that we found online and got no answer from any of them. Next we phoned Hotels.com and after 3 phone calls at our expense that were all over 20 minutes long. This was a very stressful experience when we should have been relaxing.

Hotels.com managed to get someone from the nearby office to drop the key off. So she handed us the key and couldn't wait to get away, no word of an apology. So after arriving at 3pm, we got into our room after 5pm, missing a dinner reservation booked for 4pm. Obviously a complaint will be going in to Hotels.com and the City Suites too.

There was also an unspecified blob of lard or something in the fridge!

Do not book here.

Room Tip: You need to collect your key from the officer next to Campus. You probably won't be told this wh...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yipeekaya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Bridal party stayed 2 nights, generally very dirty especially bedsheets! Lights didnt work, not enough cups for everyone, beds were uncomfortable, smashed mirror, difficult staff. Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The City Suites Apartments in Glasgow - I have never had such a poor experience in my life and would never recommend it to anyone. Firstly rude staff, turn up and the office is not where the apartment is but who was to know! Then told had to pay the gap in cash...no notice before of this, then the car park key was not available even though we had booked the car park and paid for it...the apartment - barely passable as clean and the linen/towels well past their used by date. When the car park key was finally located the next afternoon we were advised that the office was shutting - we were out sightseeing so not convenient...no refund provided and atrocious service - if could rate by negative stars would give it a negative 3! If you are even considering it...reconsider now.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brett M
Carnforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just stayed at the City Suites Edinburgh last weekend - what a load of junk - DO NOT STAY AT ANY OF THESE PLACES, It could damage your health. Apartment -" Luxury", that's a joke! Dirty, damaged walls, filthy carpets, kitchen almost empty of utensils, short of cutlery and dishes plates etc. Beds were awful. Fridge broken (had been for months), dishwasher broken (notice in side, don't use), Oven worked when it wanted too!
Currently progressing claim against them and credit card company who are jointly responsible under Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 75. Any problems contact your credit card company quoting this and chase your money back. These people should be chased out of business.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MellingBob
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Booked without checking reviews, not a good idea. Pictures looked great, very deceiving. I was there with my husband and 2 kids. This place was awful, very run down. It was far from clean, and we got 2 hand towels. i had to start cleaning the kitchen benches and bathroom to be able to stay at all. The floors were filthy(you wouldn't dare walk around in your bare feet) and the curtains barely covered the windows that faced onto a main street. We could hardly bare to spend any time in it and only used it to sleep. Thank goodness it was only for a few days....Disaster

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sharon m
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Clocktower Glasgow

On arrival there was confusion with which room I was meant to be going into on the booking sheet it stated suite 5 however the keys for 5 were not there and I was given suite 3 which was an easy fix just meant a little extra time at check in. It is described as a secure premises however the door to the building had a broken door latch meaning anyone who climbed the fence could easily enter. On entry to the apartment things looked good few issues with smell of mould in bathroom and general poor cleanliness of property but at the time I could look past this as my stay was purely to relax and after a day of travel I just wanted to kick back.

On the first evening my partner and I were woken at 2am by shouting in the entrance lane below our room this went on for over an hour. When it eventually died down we tried to get back to sleep however at that point loud music and banging started from the apartment above this carried on till very early hours.

The following day we got up and went out for the day and on return to the apartments around 5pm we observed that the only other secure gate off the main road had also been broken meaning anyone could easily access the property this was quite worrying and proved an issue later in the night.

On the evening of the 8th my partner and I went out for dinner and returned to the apartments around 11pm. We were greeted by people in the lane arguing and one guy urinating on the fence. When we got to our floor the apartment next to ours was in a full flow party. With at least 20 people coming in and out causing the heavy fire door to bang continuously. After enduring it for an hour I had had enough and contacted the woman who had dealt with my booking who I believe runs the apartments. I informed her that there was a party going on and the level of noise was excessive I also informed her of the issue with the gate and how I had felt let down by what had been advertised to me on the website as it clearly states that the apartments will not allow parties. At this point I was really looking for something to be done but I was told that there was nothing she could do as she has to take people at face valve and she would have a word in the morning. I felt let down and my partner and I tried to get some sleep. I was woken at 1.00am to loud music from the apartment above same as the night previous and people banging on the floors and walls. This was in addition to the noise from the side apartment and the banging of doors. I was almost impossible to sleep. We were unable to get back to sleep and tried to sleep on the couches in the living room. After tossing and turning for an hour we gave up as the noise was so loud. I contemplated calling the police but could not risk it as if the occupants of the apartments found out we had called we would be no doubt terrorised by the buzzer being pressed or door knocked. After a full night of no sleep we heard a loud commotion in the lane below our bedroom it appeared someone had been hit on the head with a bottle at a girl had been hit by a male. Someone then proceeded to smash all the light fittings all the way along the fence. They were also throwing bottles from the apartment windows smashing them on the lane below.

It was at this point we had enough packing our bags to get out as soon as possible. However we had to wait till the cafe below opened to return the keys. It was also a worry that we could be hit by falling bottles or attacked by one of the youths. While waiting for the cafe to open the police pulled up 3x jeeps, dog section van, riot van and another police van. We took this opportunity to escape knowing that the police could protect us and were dealing with the youths. When we got to the cafe we informed the gentleman working there of the issues we faced and he had scanned back over the CCTV and contacted the police when he opened the cafe. It was evident that they had cause a lot of property damage. The gentleman in the cafe was very apologetic and informed us of this email to make a complaint and request a refund.

I went for a relaxing weekend and from the description on the website I expected a quite relaxing apartment free from any of the experiences I suffered.

Been trying to get a refund for 2 months now and still nothing.

Stay clear of this place.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Gazadd25
New Galloway, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed in room 203 on Monday 5th of August as I had to go to Aberdeen early next morning n didn't want to rush , outside the b studios on sauchihall street n the Art Deco is amazing , the inside garden wow , flat ok except no curtains on 1 window n same window Wundt close , the coffee tin was full of moulded coffee , bedroom ok except 1 towel each , no reception here u have to pick ur keys up sumwhere else not good , n the fob does not work took ages to get in. Payed 49.50 for night n I,m afraid it's at least ten pounds to much . Very noisy from outside .

Room Tip: Book the ibis across the road
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family