“Fab Street Food”

SMOAK BBQ
Ranked #240 of 2,389 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: SMOAK BBQ serve up the finest in Texan-style, slow-smoked BBQ brisket, ribs, pulled pork, tacos and much more. Here at SMOAK BBQ all the meat we serve is carefully sourced from local farms and dry rubbed or brined overnight before we marinate, then sous vide or smoke over hard woods for up to 14hrs. Whenever possible we try to make all our sauces and pickles from scratch. Ensuring the clean fresh SMOAK taste that balances with our succulent meats and smoaked vegetables.
“Fab Street Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Can't fault the food or menu. As previous reviews have said, the meat here is great but so is the salad and chicken. Poutine is a massive portion to share and has proper, squeaky cheese curds.
Looking forward to the Smoak guys having their own place cause Pivo Pivo is a bit dark and soulless, sometimes empty, on weekdays lunchtime.

• Visited February 2014
smoakfood, The smoak crew. at SMOAK BBQ, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to post up the review, Aileen.

We really appreciate your comments and hope that you'll join us when the new bar/diner opens. Until then, before sure to visit us again at Pivo Pivo and, of course, share around the love for our food with your friends!

See you soon,

The smoak crew.

“Them Smoak boys know their scran!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

I love smoak food. I really can't fault the tasty menu they have cleverly devised. I first tried their food at the kiltr food feastival at the barras and since then I had been meaning to get along to pivo pivo or sanctuary for a nosh. I ordered the pork taco's and my mrs ordered a brisket burger (I think). Both were amazing as always. The fries in beef dripping are awesome as well but not for the health nazis of course. My tacos ended up dripping all over my hands but it was heavenly pork taco juice that I had the pleasure of licking off!! it was a nice touch to be given a few wee packs of fresh towels to wipe up with. The only negative comments I would have would be the venue...I think pivo pivo is pretty dull lighting wise and lacks atmosphere mid week but lets face it most pubs are a bit like that on a quiet tuesday night. The pivo pivo staff are friendly enough, I just think whoever owns the place could at least invest in a new card machine which was held together by tape and a better selection of draught beers as I think their selection could be better in comparison to the decent west end boozers.

• Visited January 2014
smoakfood, The smoak crew at SMOAK BBQ, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Howdy!

Thank you for taking the time to post up a great review on TripAdvisor after your recent visit to smoak @ Pivo Pivo. We're glad that you found our pulled pork tacos finger-lickin' good!

We hope you'll head along to join us at Pivo again real soon and we'll pass on your comments about the card reader to the Pivo Pivo crew.

See you soon,

“happy eats”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

meeting up with friend for beer and burgers , food was superb, service was really friendly laid back but still professional. beer was magic , some live bands on the whole a great wee place.

• Visited February 2014
smoakfood, The smoak crew at SMOAK BBQ, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Hi Gordon,

Great stuff indeed! Thank you for heading along to smoak @ Pivo Pivo, enjoying our food and service (plus a few beers thrown in too) and posting up a brilliant Trip Advisor review.

We hope to see you again soon.

Glasgow
“Great food & service, more veggie options would be good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We ate here one Monday night, it wasn't busy and we were advised to move table away from the door as it was cold, which was nice. The guy serving us was friendly and told us a bit about the food and chefs. The menu is great - for meat eaters which I'm not, but there was still a couple of options for me. I had the portobello mushroom burger, which was the only veggie burger option available(although it does come with beef dripping fries, not ideal for strict vegetarians, which I'm not, so I ate them and they were amazing!). Apart from this the only veggie dishes they had was vegetable tacos or the choice of two salads.They had some lovely sides available & we went for the truffle & 3 cheese mac, & my partner had the porkys revenge burger which looked and smelled amazing and he ate it all including the fries which he never does! Halfway through the meal the server told us the chef wasn't happy with the truffle oil he had used in the mac & cheese so we would get this free which we thought was great service, but when we got the bill we had actually been charged for the side, since we thought it tasted good we were happy to pay & i'm sure it was just overlooked. I would definitely eat here again and thought the menu was good value, although I would like to see some more meat-free variety, halloumi, veg burgers, veen some more seafood options etc.

Hi Michelle,

First up... many, many thanks for posting up such a great review on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to smoak @ Pivo Pivo. With the cold weather at this time of year, the last thing we want are our customers to end up with a cold or sniffles because of a cold draft!

Regarding extending our veggie options on the menu, we're always looking to expand our range to suit all our dining guests; the current menu does have several items on offer already; and things like pan-seared halloumi occasionally make 'guest appearances' on our daily specials list. Regarding the fries on the menu - tis true, we do offer fries cooked in beef dripping - however, we also have the option listed to have your fries cooked in rapeseed oil too.

It's just unfortunate that the offer made to remove the cost of the our truffle and four cheese mac 'n cheese was overlooked when you were presented with the bill. Hands up! We'll admit it! We do, on occasion, make mistakes and this seems to have been the case here. Please accept our apologies.

We hope that this won't deter you from visiting smoak @ Pivo Pivo again in the near future when, we hope, you'll take advantage of our other vegetarian options.

Once again, many thanks for taking both the time to write up a great TA review and, of course, lending your custom and support to smoak.

See you again soon!

“Smoak - Pivo Pivo”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

After gleaming reviews on here all bar a few regarding the service at the Sanctuary venue i thought i would give this a go. I phoned the venue Thursday 23/01/14 asking if it was alright to phone our takeaway order in advice the following day as we work nearby and were grabbing lunch. I was told this was fine. All down hill from here I'm afraid

We done as we were told and phoned in advance only to be snapped at regarding how "He was running a busy pub" and have to order in person [What difference it makes ordering over the phone or in person i didn't know, but we obliged]. Arrived at the venue explained our order again to be told that he was running a busy pub and it would be at least 25 minutes wait. We weren't bothered about the wait so offered to come back.

Arrived within 30 minutes again greeted but the staff member with an attitude problem [gentlemen with the stretched ear] and was confronted by how long they had been waiting, apparently 45 minutes. Our order was placed just after 1pm i arrived back just after 1:30pm. They need to revisit their maths.

Card machine was broken, held together by duct tape - aside from how unprofessional it looks and tacky it is i wasn't bothered about that as there an ATM nearby. Was even a struggle to ask for a bag, attitude problem staff member even had the cheek to ask where i worked to gauge whether or not a bag was required.

Overall. Poor service. Great food. But poor poor poor service. It gives the impression Pivo Pivo do not want to associate with Smoak as this is how they treat their customer. Deliberate sabotage in my eyes or just plain rude staff who need to be taught customer service skills.

Will i be back for Smoak food? Probably. Will i be back to Pivo Pivo. Not to even dowse it with water if it were alight.

2 Thank bradys91
smoakfood, Owner at SMOAK BBQ, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Hi.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

We are disturbed to read your comments and will investigate fully the negative 'vibes' that you felt you received.

Whilst there was an unexpected staff shortage at the venue on Friday, that should in no way have impacted on the courtesy that our customers quite rightly deserve and expect.

If you wish to contact me via Pivo Pivo, I hope that we can make amends.

Best regards,