“Lovely local coffeeshop and cafe”
Review of Laura's Tea Room

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I pass Laura’s coffee shop regularly and it is always packed full. My wife and mother in law are frequent visitors for a Monday lunch. Today my mother in law was otherwise engaged so I joined my wife to go for lunch at Laura’s.

Nestled in Carmunnock Laura’s is on two levels in what appears to be across two “shops”. Inside the decor is very quaint with various nick nacks on the walls but it is bright, airy and welcoming and not at all what I was expecting. We arrived before 12 to make sure we got a table and sure enough there were only a few table taken. We picked a table and sat down. We were immediately served and informed of the soup and specials and ordered a coffee and a soda and lime.

The lunchtime menu is extensive covering soups to sandwiches to much larger dishes and everything in between. I had my eye on a salad and was honestly struggling to make a choice out of the extensive list as a number sounded great! I eventually picked the warm chicken and bacon with mozzarella salad and my wife went for a tuna nicoise.

Mine was nicely presented in a large bowl full of salad and a very healthy portion of chicken, mozzarella and bacon strips on top dressed in a very nice balsamic. On the side were two slices of crusty bread and butter. The chicken was nicely warm, soft and juicy. The salad worked well and was full of fresh lettuces, carrot etc… and was large enough to give a pleasantly full feeling. The Tuna salad was of a similar make up with a generous helping of tuna.

The staff were very pleasant and the coffee shop was filling up as always when we paid and left. I see that Laura’s is now open on a Thursday and Friday evening and I would like to give it a try for dinner based on this very excellent lunch. For our two salads, a soda and lime and a white coffee it was £18.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Better known as a spot for breakfast and lunch in the small village of Carmunnock, it's now open for dinner Thursday and Friday nights, last order at 8pm. Last night was our 2nd evening visit, and both my wife and I enjoyed it. There is a good selection of starters, and mains. I went for the anti pasti plate which was great, and my wife had the chicken satay skewers, which I also tried and were very good. For main, my wife had the pork escalope with new roasted potatoes which she said was really tasty, I went for the chicken ariabiata pasta with home made focaccia, and it was nice and spicy, portion was big and I left some to leave room for dessert. Laura's gets a good name for its pastries, so the desserts are worth saving space for. The individual strawberry pavlova my wife had looked good, and she said it was really nice, but could have done with a little sauce. I had the pear tart tatain...very good, was piping hot with a nice vanilla ice cream. Laura's has a small wine list and offers beers as well, so to go with the meal we had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. Prices are very good too, 2 courses £11.95 or 3 for £14.95, so all in three courses and a bottle of wine was just under £43, which for the quality of the food and generous portions is great. Staff are friendly as well, only thing is its a bit quiet, but I suspect it's because the evening openings maybe aren't advertised as much as they should be. A nice little place for dinner.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have been here on several occasions and it hasnt failed to impress for a quick lunch with husband and son.

Its like a wee old fashioned tearoom but the menu is qbove par and the food always impresses.

its always busy which is testament to the fact its good.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife has been to Laura's on a number of occasions with friends for lunch. When I was advised that they were now open Thursday & Friday evenings, we decided to give them a try.
We made a 7.30 pm booking for Friday 10 May. They were half full. The menu was not that extensive which I could understand as they had only started doing evening meals from February. We ordered fish cakes, goats cheese with caramelised onion and salad & garlic bread for starters which were all great. For the main courses we went for pork x 3 and spaghetti. The portions were just right and the taste was wonderful. For dessert, were shared the apple crumble with custard and the warm cookies with ice cream. Both were home made and delicious. " course meal was £11.95. Not bas at all.
Staff were very attentive. Overall we all had a great time and the food was excellent. Would highly recommend a try if you are in the area.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I visited Laura's today for lunch with my partner and father in law not really knowing what to expect. It was a really welcoming place with very attentive and capable waitresses. The menu for a small village cafe was quite extensive, ranging from panninis and soup of the day, through to some lovely salads which of which we tried the crab and crayfish, chicken bacon and mozzarella, and Cajun chicken ones. The presentation was excellent and both the fish and the chicken tasted really fresh and tender. We resisted the large selection of cakes and pies bit only because we knew we were eating a large meal later on - we will definitely be back for morning coffee to sample the cakes as they all looked delicious too! The cafe is now serving evening meals on a Thursday and Friday and we were told it is best to book for this as they are getting busy on these nights - with any luck they'll choose to extend their evening opening times soon to include other nights as well as we would all like to return to sample their evening menu in the near future!

2  Thank Lucy D