“Great home style food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Great home style food”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Better known as a spot for breakfast and lunch in the small village of Carmunnock, it's now open for dinner Thursday and Friday nights, last order at 8pm. Last night was our 2nd evening visit, and both my wife and I enjoyed it. There is a good selection of starters, and mains. I went for the anti pasti plate which was great, and my wife had the chicken satay skewers, which I also tried and were very good. For main, my wife had the pork escalope with new roasted potatoes which she said was really tasty, I went for the chicken ariabiata pasta with home made focaccia, and it was nice and spicy, portion was big and I left some to leave room for dessert. Laura's gets a good name for its pastries, so the desserts are worth saving space for. The individual strawberry pavlova my wife had looked good, and she said it was really nice, but could have done with a little sauce. I had the pear tart tatain...very good, was piping hot with a nice vanilla ice cream. Laura's has a small wine list and offers beers as well, so to go with the meal we had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. Prices are very good too, 2 courses £11.95 or 3 for £14.95, so all in three courses and a bottle of wine was just under £43, which for the quality of the food and generous portions is great. Staff are friendly as well, only thing is its a bit quiet, but I suspect it's because the evening openings maybe aren't advertised as much as they should be. A nice little place for dinner.

• Visited August 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A lovely place for a quick lunch or brunch!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have been here on several occasions and it hasnt failed to impress for a quick lunch with husband and son.

Its like a wee old fashioned tearoom but the menu is qbove par and the food always impresses.

its always busy which is testament to the fact its good.

• Visited July 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Family dinner May 2013”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife has been to Laura's on a number of occasions with friends for lunch. When I was advised that they were now open Thursday & Friday evenings, we decided to give them a try.
We made a 7.30 pm booking for Friday 10 May. They were half full. The menu was not that extensive which I could understand as they had only started doing evening meals from February. We ordered fish cakes, goats cheese with caramelised onion and salad & garlic bread for starters which were all great. For the main courses we went for pork x 3 and spaghetti. The portions were just right and the taste was wonderful. For dessert, were shared the apple crumble with custard and the warm cookies with ice cream. Both were home made and delicious. " course meal was £11.95. Not bas at all.
Staff were very attentive. Overall we all had a great time and the food was excellent. Would highly recommend a try if you are in the area.

• Visited May 2013
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“A jewel in the village of Carmunnock!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I visited Laura's today for lunch with my partner and father in law not really knowing what to expect. It was a really welcoming place with very attentive and capable waitresses. The menu for a small village cafe was quite extensive, ranging from panninis and soup of the day, through to some lovely salads which of which we tried the crab and crayfish, chicken bacon and mozzarella, and Cajun chicken ones. The presentation was excellent and both the fish and the chicken tasted really fresh and tender. We resisted the large selection of cakes and pies bit only because we knew we were eating a large meal later on - we will definitely be back for morning coffee to sample the cakes as they all looked delicious too! The cafe is now serving evening meals on a Thursday and Friday and we were told it is best to book for this as they are getting busy on these nights - with any luck they'll choose to extend their evening opening times soon to include other nights as well as we would all like to return to sample their evening menu in the near future!

• Visited June 2013