“A new location for a great experience.”
Review of Athena Greek Taverna - CLOSED

Athena Greek Taverna
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A friendly taverna with good sized portions of flavoursome Greek favourites. Great food and a warm welcome always.
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I can't think what else you could want from a restaurant, especially one so recently established on this site. Pleasant surroundings, helpful and interested staff, good service, great food and great value, Athena had it all in spades!

It is a long time since my wife and I enjoyed a meze at a Greek restaurant, those we used to frequent have all closed down. This was truly amazing, especially for the price, I have to say I assumed that it was going to be £40 each, not for the 2 of us.

Our friendly waitress was at our table in a flash, with menus and the offer of drinks and feta and olives to keep us from wasting away before the giant, mouthwatering meze began to arrive. I chose the Chilean Merlot, which was smooth and gentle and only £15 a bottle.

The classic Greek dips were as expected and when we requested more pitta it too was whisked to our table. The meatballs and the dolmades were delicious as were the delights that followed. I don't quite know where we found the room for the sweet and excellent coffees that were also included.

If I had a single minor criticism perhaps a couple of the dishes could have been slightly hotter, however I appreciate the difficulty in getting about 8 dishes onto the table at the same time.

There are newer reviews for Athena Greek Taverna

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Made a booking via 5pm. Excellent value. Very good customer service, great atmosphere, lovely food and impressive menu. Would thoroughly recommend.

Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Went last night after booking on 5pm for 40% off (great deal!).
Had the humous and keftedes (hope I spelled that right - lamb meatballs). The humous, especially, was delicious and really smooth - not like the horrible thick grainy stuff you get in shops! Pitta bread served with it was nice and crispy.

For main we both got chicken souvlaki, this was what I was most excited about. It was nice but I wasn't left impressed, I feel that the chicken could have had more flavour. It came with a lemon on side which I used a little but didn't improve the flavour much. I felt as if I needed a sauce to dip with it to give it more flavour... And you never need sauces with these type of chicken dishes. The chicken was really moist and cooked perfectly. I had a garlic pitta and my boyfriend had a normal pitta which were nice at the edges but really oily in the middle from the plate??

For dessert we got baklava which again was amazing! Was expecting a few small pieces like most places serve but we got a big triangle and a scoop of ice cream. Best baklava I've had I think!

Staff were really efficient and friendly.

Would come here again as the starter and dessert was so good but would order a different main course next time

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I lived in Cyprus 20+ years married to a Greek/Cypriot I love the Greek/Cypriot cuisine and cook a lot of Greek/Cypriot food myself. I am always looking out for that authentic greek/ Cypriot cuisine and although not quite found it yet I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at Athena's what we did have was tasty and perfectly cooked and good portions. Warm friendly atmosphere and the service was excellent.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We booked through 5pm.co.uk and got a fantastic deal of 40% off our food bill.

When we arrived the restaurant was buzzing with large groups and families which was a good sign for us as we were a bit worried as to why they were giving so much off your bill, we needn't have worried though as the food was fantastic!

We started off with the mixed starter which consists of three dips,two Dolmades, two Keftedes, pitta bread and some Greek salad. All was lovely and obviously home made but there could have been a wee bit more of the dips on the plate. I ordered the Afelia and my partner had the Stifado, both came with a generous side of rice and roast potato. The Afelia was so tender with virtually no fat on the pork and plenty of sauce, I have had this in other Greek Restaurants and I have to say that Athena's is definitely the best I have tasted so far. My partners Stifado was delicious, again the meat was well cooked, moist and tender with no fat and the sauce was full of flavour. We were completely stuffed but as I am such a fan of Greek food, I had to try the Baklava, they serve it hot which I have never had before, most places sere it cold with cream, it was lovely but next time I will ask for it to be served cold but this is just my preference. All in all we can recommend as there was nothing disappointing about this place.

Final bill for
two courses for two
two soft drinks and a large glass of house white
one dessert and an Americano