“Saturday lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Athena Greek Taverna

Athena Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Athena Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #121 of 2,386 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A friendly taverna with good sized portions of flavoursome Greek favourites. Great food and a warm welcome always.
Gourock, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Saturday lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Was out for a pre matinee lunch with my mum. The Athena is handy for central station, and although small is well worth a visit
The food is great and really cheap and the service is fantastic. Only downside was it was a bit cold as the place hadn't had a chance to heat up when we arrived
Thoroughly recommended and we would definitely go back

Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Great food, very good value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We visited the Athena as it was close to our hotel and we hadn't had a Greek meal in ages.

Well, it was a great slice of luck!

The restaurant is small and cosy and we were lucky to get a table. I was encouraged when I saw some Greek folks eating in there and for good reason, the food was authentic and plentiful - the Taramasalata was the best I have ever had! The staff were also great and the service good but best of all the meal came in at £65 for the both of us, including three HUGE courses, water, coffee and wine.

Big thumbs up!

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Yum! I just couldn't stop eating!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

We were in Glasgow for the weekend and this restaurant was near our hotel. It doesn't look anything special from the outside, so don't let this put you off. It was a Saturday night and we hadn't booked, we were very lucky to get a table as the place was full and people were being turned away after us. We had the meze to share, it was amazing about 6 dishes to start and 6 mains (there really is a lot of food for 2 people). Everything was lovely, I don't normally like Taramasalata, but it was amazing, very fresh. There was a mixture of beef, lamb, pork and chicken, so something for everyone. There was also lots of Greek people eating here, which is always a good sign to me. Unlike other reviews we found the staff to be really friendly. All in all a fab place, with loads to eat. Meze and bottle of wine cost us about £60 and we had to roll home! Would definitely recommend and visit again when we are in Glasgow.

Johnstone, United Kingdom
“Lovely Greek Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I ate here for the first time recently and really enjoyed it.
All the food my partner and I ordered was delicious, especially the Kleftico (lamb on the bone) and the restaurant itself is compact but cosy.
The staff are very friendly and have a good knowledge of the menu though we were a bit annoyed when 15 minutes after our main courses had been cleared we hadn't even been given a dessert menu and had to ask ourselves.
Overall this is a great restaurant in Glasgow city centre and I would recommend it.

Upminster, United Kingdom
“Average Greek restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Not a comfortable place to dine in, the tables and chairs are not particularly comfy and would be better if the chairs had a little more padding to them! The wine selection was very good, and the starter was lovely too. However I found my main to be distinctly average which was disappointing. The service was very friendly, however I found this place to be a little overpriced for what it was. Would I return? If I was in Glasgow and desperate for Greek food. Otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way to revisit this restaurant.

• Visited October 2013