“Lovely Meal”
Review of Athena Greek Taverna - CLOSED

Athena Greek Taverna
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A friendly taverna with good sized portions of flavoursome Greek favourites. Great food and a warm welcome always.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had no reservation but were quickly shown to a small table in the middle of the floor., we did not mind this as it was a busy Saturday evening and we were thankful to get a seat as the place was full.
We decided on the Chef's Meze so that we could try a little bit of everything and we were not disappointed, the houmous was the nicest I have had in a long long time and partner said the olives were divine.
Normally I would ask for a doggy bag to take home, but as we were travelling back to Ireland this was not possible, we will certainly return the next time in Glasgow as the food is delicious, a little bit of Greece in Glasgow.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have visited Greece many times and like other reviewers am a little fussy when eating Greek food elsewhere - I needn't have worried.

I had vine leaves followed by Stifado which literally fell apart, served with the classic Greek combo of rice / boiled potatoes. The food and wine were lovely.

The only thing I would say is that the restaurant is quite basic looking and we were a little hemmed in at the back. My seat was up against the back counter and my friend sitting opposite had to move each time staff wanted into the fridge for wine. Despite this, it was a great night out.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I love Greece, and l travel there at least once every year.
So when it comes to Greek restaurants lm very picky and l know what is Greek to me and not.
To me, Athena Tavern in Glasgow was like being back in Greece, part from that the waitor didnt speak greek when l tried him out :)
We ordered food in what l call the Greek way. Lots of small dishes.
The food was really really good. Tasted like in Greece. They had all the classic greek starters and it all tasted delicious!
We were very full and very happy when we left.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Just had a long overdue catch up with friends when one of the girls said we had to try this place.

I'm not a big fan of Greek food normally but I couldn't fault this place, it was absolutely gorgeous!

Forget the view (looking out onto a very busy Hope St/Gordon St). Once inside the restaurant has a lovely cosy feel to it, the staff are very welcoming and the food was absolutely delicious.

I had lamb meatballs to start and chicken skewers & feta salad for my main course which I thoroughly enjoyed.

As for the price, that was an added bonus - great value for money.

I'll be back again very soon and certainly recommend that you give this place a try!!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stopped here for a cup of tea as it was convenient for Glasgow Central Station. A lovely day for sitting outside. I was pleased to see that when I went in the gentleman who was on the phone excused himself to deal with me, the customer. I wish many others would be that polite to their customers.
My friend had a late which was by all accounts very nice and I ordered a tea for one. I didn't expect a speciality tea, why didn't they ask before giving me a flavoured tea and why give me milk to put in it. Needless to say I like a traditional blend so this really spoiled it for me. I can't remember the exact cost but it was about £5 or £6 wasted from my point of view.