“Greek feeling!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Athena Greek Taverna

Athena Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Athena Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #113 of 2,387 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A friendly taverna with good sized portions of flavoursome Greek favourites. Great food and a warm welcome always.
Stockholm, Sweden
“Greek feeling!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I love Greece, and l travel there at least once every year.
So when it comes to Greek restaurants lm very picky and l know what is Greek to me and not.
To me, Athena Tavern in Glasgow was like being back in Greece, part from that the waitor didnt speak greek when l tried him out :)
We ordered food in what l call the Greek way. Lots of small dishes.
The food was really really good. Tasted like in Greece. They had all the classic greek starters and it all tasted delicious!
We were very full and very happy when we left.

• Visited July 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great wee find..must try!! :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Just had a long overdue catch up with friends when one of the girls said we had to try this place.

I'm not a big fan of Greek food normally but I couldn't fault this place, it was absolutely gorgeous!

Forget the view (looking out onto a very busy Hope St/Gordon St). Once inside the restaurant has a lovely cosy feel to it, the staff are very welcoming and the food was absolutely delicious.

I had lamb meatballs to start and chicken skewers & feta salad for my main course which I thoroughly enjoyed.

As for the price, that was an added bonus - great value for money.

I'll be back again very soon and certainly recommend that you give this place a try!!

Bathgate, United Kingdom
“Nice Location, near the station.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stopped here for a cup of tea as it was convenient for Glasgow Central Station. A lovely day for sitting outside. I was pleased to see that when I went in the gentleman who was on the phone excused himself to deal with me, the customer. I wish many others would be that polite to their customers.
My friend had a late which was by all accounts very nice and I ordered a tea for one. I didn't expect a speciality tea, why didn't they ask before giving me a flavoured tea and why give me milk to put in it. Needless to say I like a traditional blend so this really spoiled it for me. I can't remember the exact cost but it was about £5 or £6 wasted from my point of view.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Biggar, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

In town on Saturday and decided to try Athena for lunch. With two courses for £8.95 it looked good value.
When we entered at about 12.10 we were the only people in the restaurant, but the waiter was really nice and friendly and got us seated and drinks ordered.
For starters i went for calamari (or kalamari as per their menu) - if its on the menu anwhere i usually choose it as my starter - and i have to say this was probably the best Kalamari i have ever had - anywhere. None of your chewy bits of rubber here - really tender and melt in the mouth little bits of Kalamari in a really light and crispy batter - delicous. My other half went for 3 dips (Houmous, Taramasalata and Tsadziki) with some pitta bread and that went down well.

Mains - other half opted for Souvlaki - two skewers of chicken and pork with salad and rice - looked really tasty. I chose Pastitsio - pasta with lamb mince - a sort of deconstructed lasagne i suppose - really tasty.

No room for desert, but the greek beer was good.. A welcome addition to my favourite Glasgow lunchtime spots.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lunch time deals are amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Ive tried everything on the lunch menu and it is all brilliant, a nice little restaurant well priced with great service ..... i strongly recommend the vine leaves and the slovaki ...both amazing for £5 .... hard to beat that price and quality for that anywhere in the city center