“Great Greek food”
Review of Athena Greek Taverna - CLOSED

Athena Greek Taverna
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A friendly taverna with good sized portions of flavoursome Greek favourites. Great food and a warm welcome always.
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We had the mere for 2 £39.95. Told my husband it woul be too much and it was! But he gets a doggie bag for tomorrow !! Bit noisy everything else perfect.

Athena T, Manager at Athena Greek Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us! You're very right, the Chef's Mezedes is a lot of food, but such great value. Apologies about the noise, everyone in the restaurant must have been just as excited as yourself about the food! I hope your husband enjoyed his lunch the next day as well!

Look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went there with family last weekend. Fantastic central location made it easy for everyone to get to. This was the third visit for my wife and I but the first for the others. No-one was disappointed. Lovely food (particularly suitable for the Mediterranean style weather on the day) and served with a smile by friendly and efficient staff. Nothing needed to be re-requested, no mistakes on bill to be queried etc. Special mention must be given to my Kalamari starter which were cooked to perfection and my wife’s Tavas main which was bursting with flavour. Truly memorable.We moved to the outside space after finishing our meal and this request was easily accommodated by the staff. We ate off the Weekend Lunch menu and the value for money was terrific. Thoroughly enjoyed my visit and will definitely be back especially if the sun is shining !!!

Thanks for taking the time to write a review after dining with us at Athena! It's so great to hear that after returning a few times, you have passed on the word of Athena to your friends. I'm pleased that you and your guests had a great visit last weekend, and thought so highly about the location, food, service and value! We also do a similar lunch menu through the week which offers two courses for £5.95.

Much thanks again, and I look forward to seeing you soon,

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a fantastic lunch here on Saturday. A total bargain at £8.95 each. Fairly hefty portions, excellent flavours and melt in the mouth food, what more could you ask for?

The tava was superb and the chicken skewers plentiful and tasty.

Too full for a dessert, but a very good bottle of wine went down well and a liquer finished off the experience.

We'll be back!

Athena T, Manager at Athena Greek Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Hi Archie,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review after your visit to Athena. I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed your meal with us! It sounds like you were truly satisfied with the standard of our food, as well as the portion size.

Our weekend lunch menu seems to be quite popular with our guests as many, like yourself enjoy the great value. We also offer a similar lunch menu through the week which is £5.95 for 2 courses.

I look forward to seeing you soon,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Went to the Athena on Hope Street straight from work on a Friday evening. It is very small - but we were lucky because it was quiet at that time too. I went to the Athena when it was based in Finnieston and really liked it so I was wondering if this one would be just as good.

I wasnt disappointed - the waiter was very friendly and attended to us very quickly. I ordered the meatballs to start and I have to say they were absolutely delicious - I love meatballs and these were some of the nicest I have tasted - they were perfectly cooked and in a nice tomato based sauce and considering it was just a starter it was a good sized portion. For my main I had ordered the pastitio - and that wasnt a let down either - again, a good sized portion and I throughly enjoyed my meal. My friends enjoyed it and said their food was fantastic too - I cant wait to go back!

By the time we were leaving the restaurant had really filled up and I would definitely recommend making a reservation if you want to go any later than 5.30pm on a Friday!

Hi there 193cat,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review after dining with us at Athena!

I'm very pleased to hear that your visit with us was enjoyable for you. It sounds like the food and service were up to our usual standards, and left a good impression on yourself and your friends!

Thanks again for the review and I look forward to seeing you soon,

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This sparkingly clean restaurant is a little gem in the very heart of the city. Situated just opposite Central Station you would expect to have to bring the bank manager to afford the prices.
Far from it!
At lunch time you can have a wonderful 2-course meal and a drink for a tenner.
The food is authentic and the service is second to none. You can even make small adjustments
to the set menu to accomodate your particular palate.
If you have ever been to Greece (or even if you haven't) pop into the Athena for a truly
wonderful culinary experience!