“Ideal from beginning to end.”

Stravaigin Scotland
Ranked #16 of 80 Tours in Glasgow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Scotland's best day trips! Customized Private Guided Tours of Scotland. Whisky Tours, Sight Seeing, Golf Outings, & Relaxing Spa Days. We will create a tailored itinerary especially for you...! From Edinburgh & Glasgow and direct from your hotel.
Tubingen, Germany
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Ideal from beginning to end.”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Ian Byers gave us a tour well worth the name of his Scottish touring company, Stravaigin meaning "meandering". On a tour of the west coast and the Isle of Skye, we marvelled at the glacially-carved valleys, the Atlantic-swept coasts and mountains, the quiet beauty of Loch Lomond and the ancient history of Dunadd Fort, among much, much more while winding along backroads, strolling through the scenery and ruins, indulging in local beers (the Williams' Fraoch heather beer was lovely) and spending nights in beautiful inns. We had time to do some whisky tasting at Glengoyne (good prices for Europeans, too!), wander up to McCaig's Tower in Oban, stroll around Glenfinnan and visit the very atmospheric Eilean Donan and Kilchurn Castles.

He also took us on a tour to the Borders, Lochcarron's Tartan Mill tour, Walter Scott's Abbotsford House, Melrose Abbey and Rosslyn Chapel, all of which we enjoyed immensely. And we squeezed in a final tour on our last day driving up to the Edradour Distillery (highly recommended!), Blair Castle Gardens, Pitlochry and Dunkeld Cathedral before he dropped us off at the airport.
All this was arranged through a few e-mails and the experience was friendly, relaxing, informative, interesting and simply enjoyable from start to finish. Always attentive to the pace we wanted to follow, he always had great options for getting a bite to eat or visiting a restroom. Ian is a truly affable guy, making his guests perfectly comfortable and letting them just sit back and enjoy.

3 Thank Janice L

Pittsfield MA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Recent Scotland tour”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We recently toured the Isle of Skye with Ian from Stravaigin-Scotland Tours. We had a fabulous trip. He arranged everything from the ferry over to our hotel on the island. We chose to tour the castle, a distillery and the island-life museum, but the thing is that he was willing to do whatever we wanted to do at whatever pace we chose. We were able to spend as much or as little time at each venue as we wanted. Much better than a cookie cutter tour.
Ian's knowledge of Scotland's history, geology, folklore, politics, music, football (well, soccer to US residents) is what really made the trip. He is a fascinating, entertaining guide who is so genuinely enthusiastic about what he does without being preachy or overbearing. Did I mention that he is also humorous? We are a middle aged couple, but I think his appeal is across all ages and ethnicities.

1 Thank Kathleen Q
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“FANTASTIC DAY TOUR!!!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I quite honestly cannot say enough good things about Ian (the guide) and Stravaigin Scotland Day Tours. Ian is incredibly knowledgeable, extremely hospitable and genuinely warm and friendly. After giving him a little (and I mean a little) info on what we wanted to see, Ian was able to create an itinerary for my family and I that got us excited even before we went on the tour. The only reason we weren't able to follow the itinerary completely was because there were 3 (yes, 3) vehicular accidents that day that totally threw us of schedule. Despite that, Ian was able to get us to see the main attractions we had planned on seeing and re-routed our trip to include other great sites to make up for the ones we missed due to the accidents. Ian is definitely all about making sure you have a great time during your tour and that you end up loving Scotland as much as he does. You absolutely cannot go wrong with Stravaigin Scotland Day Tours or with Ian.

2 Thank Miriam A
Dennis, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A most memorable tour.”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

After a brief conversation, Ian was able to tailor the perfect Scotland experience for us. He understood what we were interested in and knew what we were not. His knowledge and humor made it a most pleasurable and memorable tour. We visited Loch Ness and he showed us the beauty of the meeting of two continents. He showed us the wonderful riverside town of Dunkeld and the beautiful and historic Cathedral. We also visited the photogenic Castle Eilean Donan. It was a most educational visit. The gift shop was nice and the prices were good. He knew where the good coffee and clean restrooms could be found, a wonderful thing.

1 Thank Jim L
Ada, Oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Favorit Sightseeing Experience EVER!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I travel the world for a living and of the 28 countries I've visited, Stravaigin Scotland Day Tours made Scotland my best sightseeing experience EVER! I have toured with them 4 times because my experiences were always so great. The guide, Ian, shows up in his kilt and takes you around to these amazing castles and gorgeous views of Scotland. is so knowledgable about everything and everywhere he takes you. It is very relaxed and easy-going. I like touring with Stravaigin Scotland Day Tours bc the guide doesn't overload you with information and doesn't try to sell you ANYTHING. Ian tells you as much or as little about the places you go as you want to know. My best touring experiences have been with Stravaigin Scotland Day Tours and I wouldn't go sightseeing with anybody else! I promise you will have the best experience ever with them! The places you go are so unique. Check out my pictures from two of our sightseeing experiences together:

Visited October 2012