“cool indians”

Description: Open 7 days 4.30Pm till late Last Delivery 11pm
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“cool indians”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

great food and drinks, nice contemporary decor, large 130 covers (seats) the service was great (the owner and his wife) it was a monday night and quiet, its a little out the centre of glasgow but well worth the taxi fare (£9 from the marriot) will be back next time I am in glasgow.

• Visited November 2013
kamalp77, Manager at Himalaya Restaurant, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
We very much appreciated you taking the time and spending the taxi fare to come through to dine with us. We look forward to seeing you again when your next in Glasgow for business.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Local treasure”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I regularly visit the Himalaya as he lives in Cardonald. We absolutely love it! Have yet to find a better Indian restaurant. All the staff are extremely friendly and attentive! We have always had a great dining experience whenever we go. We usually go for the a la carte menu as the buffet doesn't do both our favourites on the same night. It is very reasonable for both food and drink. Honestly couldn't fault anything about this restaurant. Absolutely love it will continue being a regular!!

Thank you for your lovely comments! We do an additional curry on the buffet now so you never know it might mean you get both your faves on the same night! See you soon...
Glasgow
“Superb!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I moved to Cardonald two years ago and as someone who likes eating out I was disappointed with the local eateries here. The takeaways around here are terrible. I discovered a very good family run Italian restaurant not far away helped, but I really enjoy a good Asian curry on occasion. I know what a good curry should look, taste and feel like, so I am very fussy where I eat. However, even the best of food can be ruined by poor service. I will tolerate a less than excellent meal if the service is good.
Then the Himalaya opened. My first visit turned out to be an excellent experience. Right from stepping through the door you know these folk understand the importance of good service, friendly without being overbearing; attentive without being overly so (I dislike that almost as much as the reverse).
I am not overly fond of buffets, though I understand why others like them, but I prefer a la carte – the Himalaya provides both at tea time. That evening I was in the mood for a simple straightforward curry and ordered a king prawn curry with pilau rice from the menu, After the necessary starters which were very good, my meal was delivered with a smile and served with care. It was a superb curry; as good as almost any I have had. I will not say here what the best curry was I have ever eaten as it would be disingenuous to the great folk of the Himalaya – theirs was not that far off. I will say that I was very pleased to know that I have such a great restaurant just round the corner from me, where the staff are friendly efficient and know what good service is.Their chefs cook to a very high standard and I have been back a number of time since and never been disappointed.
The restaurant is quite big so atmosphere is a little lacking early in the evening, but it is pleasant enough. My most recent visit was Friday 25 October 2013 where I had a wonderful Garam Masala.
Upshot: great food, friendly service, not overly expensive.
I highly recommend the Himalaya. It is well worth a visit, even if you are not local. Mind you, I am probably being a bit selfish here as I want them to do well so they will continue to be there to serve me great curries :)

1 Thank Joe_Murray54
kamalp77, Manager at Himalaya Restaurant, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review and your continued custom! It's very much appreciated by all the staff :)
scotrompol
“Very Good Eating experience”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Booked a table for 4 (2 adults + 2 boys, 9 &13) after reading rave reviews in Tripadvisor. Had driven past this restaurant thousands of times and never gave it a second thought. One of the top two curry houses in Glasgow??!!! Must give it a try. Booked table for 6.30pm, so not surprised that the atmosphere was not buzzing. The modern decor and bright lighting may not be everyone's taste for an Indian restaurant, but the warmth of the welcome and general hospitality throughout the evening was outstanding. Food was very good: we went for the buffet and there was plenty to chose from. Nan was made to order, so ensured it was piping hot for the main course. Lay out of dishes on the buffet table was a bit confusing (started with fruit salad and pre-cut slices of gateaux!), but once we figured that out, the chicken chaat and pakora were to die for as was the in-house mango chutney. The choice of main was good (2 vegetarian, one lamb and 3 chicken dishes), but the bain marie should be given the boot and replaced with something smarter, as it currently resembles canteen catering, which is a real shame. As it was our anniversary, the staff treated us to a complimentary drink after the meal (don't try this on as it may not be standard practice!!) which was a really nice touch. So all in all, a real find. We ordered a take-away last weekend and the food was equally good and equally filling. I was even guided to a 'set-meal' offer which had more than I had ordered and at £2 less than I had expected to pay. A really great family run business!!

• Visited October 2013
Thank you for your review and for choosing The Himalaya to celebrate your anniversary! Hope to see you and the boys again soon!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good Food, Warm Beer, Long Wait”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I went to Himalaya for an early dinner last Wednesday. It’s a big place, I reckon they could seat well over a hundred. They run a buffet and a full a la carte.

We arrived at 10 past six and were greeted by friendly staff. We had a drink order taken straight away but then waited over 10 minutes for anyone to come to take our order. I don’t know why as there were only about 15 people in at that time of night and there were at least 3 waiters on. My wife ordered a bottle of Budweiser which was just slightly colder than room temperature, I was going to ask for a replacement cold one but she didn’t want to create a fuss so just put up with it. My can of diet coke was very cold so I’m guessing the beers had only recently been put in the fridge, they should have advised us.

We had poppadoms and the pickle tray to start and very nice they were, light and crispy with 4 choices on the pickle tray, mango, lime, spiced onion and raita. So far so good but then the wheels fell off. We waited for our main (lamb dopiaza and chicken garam masala in case you’re wondering) and we waited and waited. An elderly couple came in, were seated, had their main, ice cream and tea/coffee and still we waited. A young couple came in and had their starters and main meals served and still we waited. We’d finished our poppadoms at 6.30 it was now 7. A waiter opened the door to the kitchen stared right at us and then quickly pulled his head back and closed the door. A few minutes later another waiter came to us apologised for the delay and disappeared with no explanation as to why. Five minutes later another waiter came over and apologised for the delay and said the meal would only be a few minutes. By now it was about 7.15. At 7.30 just as I was putting my coat on to leave the food finally arrived a full 1 hour and 20 minutes after we arrived. If we hadn’t been so hungry I would have refused it and left. I’m glad we didn’t because the food was really lovely, cooked perfectly. My wife enjoyed her dopiaza a lot and my Garam masala was exactly how I wanted it, very hot with a great spice mix. The garlic naan was light and nicely scorched with a good dose of garlic.

As well

I’m guessing that they mislaid our order but am still none the wiser. I know mistakes happen, that’s life but they could have at least told us why there was a delay. I dread to think how slow service would be if it ever gets anywhere near capacity.

A decent meal spoiled by very, very long wait.

2 Thank glasgowcouple1
kamalp77, Manager at Himalaya Restaurant, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Glasgowcouple1, my apologies for your experience on Wednesday. We have located your order and have spoken to the waiter to ascertain what happened. If you would be so kind as to get in touch with the restaurant, that would be much appreciated. Any feedback from our customers is welcomed and taken seriously. Thank you.