“More Style Than Content”
Review of Chaophraya Glasgow

Chaophraya Glasgow
Ranked #78 of 2,471 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Chaophraya Glasgow is Europe's largest Thai restaurant! Set in one of the city's most iconic buildings, Old Athenaeum, it offers guests the ultimate Thai dining experience in a spectacular setting. Boasting four floors with luxurious private dining spaces and the glamorous Palm Sugar Bar it is the perfect place for any occasion.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

There can be no argument that in terms of ambience, the volume of the "background" music aside, this restaurant is excellent the decoration in great and that extends down to the cutlery and crockery. However the service was rather chaotic and the food was the blandest Thai food I have ever eaten, it nicely presented and was perfectly edible but it just wasn't what I expect in Thai restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Chaophraya Glasgow

Reviewed February 13, 2013

One of my favourite restaurants, I have visited several times and the food has been excellent every time. The Massaman lamb curry is one of the best dishes I have ever tasted. The staff are all excellent and very friendly. The building is beautiful and inside is decorated stunningly. It’s also located right in the city centre.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I met my daughter for an early dinner here last night. We'd heard lots of good things about it and wanted to go too.
We were taken upstairs in to a very glamorous dining area and seated. We asked to move table and were told adamantly NO. Surely the customer is right?
We then paid £3.50 for decanted sparkling water. Eventually the fish cakes came- clearly re heated in the microwave. They were rubbery and awful and at £7.75, disgraceful. They went back. We both had peanut chicken which was a bizarre texture and wholly unpleasant.
The place was freezing cold. The table next to us tried to close the massive curtains to keep the draft out.
The service was rubbish, food was worse and over priced. We left before the table was cleared and had coffee elsewhere!

1  Thank Betty4015
Dale H, Guest Relations Manager at Chaophraya Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank-you for your feedback and I'm really sorry to hear your dining experience wasn't up to our usual high standard. Please could you provide us with an email address, so we can respond to you personally. dale.hanlon@chaophraya.co.uk

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Out with some friends for a pre theatre dinner. On entering Chaophraya I was amazed by the decor so sumptuous almost over the top but not just opulent. Restaurant on first floor was lovely but heading to the second floor to use the toilets the decor just gets better & better. Best to go as my description would not do it justice. The food was also beautiful. Not massive portions but then it was an early evening menu. Plenty of starter having chose chicken satay but main portion on the small side. That said plenty of rice so not left hungry. I had the lamb massaman [or something similar] and it was fantastic. Very tender & sauce lovely. Could have done with a bit more sauce.I have a non-alcoholic cocktail which was ok but just tasted like a juice & at £4.50 maybe a little expensive but served in a fancy glass with fruit. At £15 for the pre theatre menu top end in price even for town but I would go back as it was a lovely dining experience.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Walked in on a Friday evening without a booking, the restaurant was very busy and we were seated in a small anti room just behind the reception desk. Although not the best seat in the house, the staff were great and the food was fantastic; the best Thai I’ve tasted in Glasgow. I have dined in the Leeds branch of this branch which I regularly visited when in Leeds; the food here was just as good, prepared a little differently but great. Highly recommend the Nai Nutty (Chicken in a Peanut sauce). Next time I’ll be better prepared and book for the restaurant. Bon Appetite