“very unsatisfied customer”

Cup Tea Lounge Glasgow
Ranked #1 of 45 Dessert in Glasgow
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Step back to the Victorian interior of this stunning building and enjoy the comfortable furnishings, great service. We offer a selection of 40 hand blended teas, afternoon tea and the best desserts in the City.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very unsatisfied customer”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I booked a table for lunch with a friend today. When our coffee arrived we were told we had 30 minutes left as our table was needed. I was shocked to be told this and when I questioned it I was told they have a one and a half hour policy on a Saturday. We told the girl we weren't leaving and we should have been told about it. The manageress came over and said her waitress assured her we had been told. I was disgusted at the attitude of the manager. I will never go back as from the minute you step in the door you are harassed to order, obviously due to the hour and a half policy. This policy is not well advertised. Do not go if you wish a leisurely lunch.

1 Thank Elaine M
Paul-Cup-Scotland, Owner at Cup Tea Lounge Glasgow, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your review, I was expecting you to say something public since you were so vocal with my staff on Saturday.

It is funny, the lady who was looking after you during your visit is one of the best waiting staff we have. She genuinely cares about customers and their experience at Cup. I have got to say that she thought you were lovely customers and your behaviour really shook her. She is not used to customers being really being aggressive with her!

You made your reservation on line. I have a note in our system that your were called a few days before your reservation to confirm your booking. At this stage we confirm all bookings have a 90 minute length of stay as we are exceptionally busy on a Saturday.

I also know that the waitress told you about your seating time when you were seated. We do this with every seating during peak times. Also it is clearly pointed out on our menu as well!! You were not told at the last minute that we needed your table back. You were reminded with 30 minutes to go and you still ordered your coffee and cake and then told the waitress that you would not be vacating the table. This is when our Manager spoke to you, emphasised our table policy and told you that we would need the table back as we were fully booked up all afternoon.

This is when you created a fuss and refused to then pay for the coffee and cakes that had been served and made for you.

We do not believe that we harass customers to order but we are very aware that we want to get orders to the kitchen and the bar in order that your 90 minutes is not rushed. If you feel that you wish longer than 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon then Cup is not for you during peak times. We do only put this policy in place during peak times and tell our customers at time of booking and time of seating.

Paul

Wishaw, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food, cocktails and service!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Just back home after a lovely sharing platter, the most fabulous melting chocolate fondant ever and baked Alaska with lavender. Not to mention our cocktails! Fab way to spend a Saturday. Couldn't resist cup cakes to go. Staff very efficient and friendly . Will be my port of call next time in town for breakfast, lunch or tea! Oh forgot about the decor - original tiles from when the building was the bank of India. Amazing.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A Complete Pleasure”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

From the staff to the decor and the food it's self - it was a pleasure to relax and enjoy a wonderful lunch at Cup Tea Lounge. I am Coeliac and my needs were catered for perfectly.My sandwich was on quality GF bread and the fillings offered - delicious, and there were many other choices. Obviously a very popular city centre haunt and probably best to book to avoid disappointment. The staff's knowledge of their menu (which is beautifully designed and presented) makes choosing something new or experimenting with one of the many teas and cocktails available, all part of the delightful experience. Highly recommended.

lanarkshire
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Went here for a Girly lunch to celebrate a birthday, staff went above and beyond!! Food 1st class, value for money +++. Will definitely be back and DEFINATELY recommend.

• Visited July 2013
Cumnock, United Kingdom
“a-m-a-z-i-n-g !!!!!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Fab morning tea bought via 5pm deals. First visit to CUP but certainly not our last. Enjoyed the morning tea experience with my mum and my 2 daughters aged 8 and 12. Plenty to eat and all items VERY fresh and VERY delicious. The girls had juice instead of the tea served in vintage style jam jars with handles! Everything about our morning tea was lovely and it was evident that a lot of thought had gone into the presentation of serving it nicely. Got to choose from the daily selection of cupcakes to take-away and were spoiled for choice.
Overall a lovely, quaint experience in an amazing venue - we loved the original tilework and high ceilings etc. and it all blended nicely with the modern furnishings.
Can't wait to go back.